Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nova Scotia buck (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=9118)

thumper 12-11-2007 08:45 PM

Nova Scotia buck

Here's a Nova Scotia buck photo, that a friend from Middleton emailed me.
He says that it's a local deer, but that he doesn't know the hunter.
As it's now '3rd hand', I can't verify its authenticity.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/big_buck.png

Tuc 12-11-2007 08:53 PM

I've seen some nice bucks come out of that Annapolis Valley.

Jamie Black R/T 12-11-2007 09:05 PM

looks like a maritimer!!! not sure about the deer though :lol:

Doc Holiday 12-11-2007 09:10 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... sorry man.. that was funny! Nice hawg fer sure.

SakoAlberta 12-11-2007 09:17 PM

The forrest in the background sure looks like NS. Good hunting there, not usually many monsters but every once in a while, one pops up.

gonefishin 12-11-2007 10:29 PM

He doesn't look very happy to have shot it... how about a smile.:D

BuckHunterNB 12-12-2007 05:55 AM

The guy looks puzzeled because he has no idea how he's going to get him back to his truck.

We grow em big down here in the Maritimes.

Not many but we do have some wicked big bodied deer.

Scott

knight hunter 12-12-2007 07:05 AM

That's a dandy. Nice.

Cordur 12-12-2007 07:36 AM

Funny how you can recognize a fellow east coaster at a glance. Good looking deer. I've always wondered if a few monsters aren't sitting on the old guys walls out there that never were scored. Especially the N/T.

Walleyes 12-12-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Funny how you can recognize a fellow east coaster at a glance.
Its because of that blank look on the face,,,, huh,, what,, were am I ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heck of a deer tho for sure...

TreeGuy 12-12-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleyes (Post 83510)
Its because of that blank look on the face,,,, huh,, what,, were am I ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offence, Walleyes, but face to face that one would earn ya a pretty good shot in the nose! Then we'd have a couple more beers together!:lol:

Tree

TreeGuy 12-13-2007 12:08 AM

All kidding aside, what a buck! The trees that have the white spots on them are Oaks that are 100% natural to the area, so the pic is the real deal.

Our neighbour has a n/t wt in their basement thats probably almost 40 years old now that is a 43 pointer from what I remember, but no record breaker if that makes any sense.

I once found a 32 point skull while stringing out a line of traps. Now that I know better, it was a 220 class nt, but was lost when we burnt (controlled fire) our barn down.

There's some monsters lurking, just few and far between.

Tree

BuckHunterNB 12-13-2007 06:40 AM

Treeguy,

Those trees look like softwoods to me.

Scott

BigRackLover 12-13-2007 07:03 AM

Nice lookin' buck

Tuc 12-13-2007 07:30 AM

Tree are you sure about that. I'd say they are firs and those big white blotches are the balsam blisters. Look at the sapling next to that spiffy N.S. hunter, definitely a fir. Same goes for the under growth over the deer's back.

I'll see if I can research it a little tonight...

Bushrat 12-13-2007 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckHunterNB (Post 83891)
Treeguy,

Scott

Yah spruce, fir and balsam with some beech leaves in the background.

95% of maritimers shoot the first legal deer they see. There might be a few more bucks like that show up back there if more held out for them.

209x50 12-13-2007 08:09 AM

Oh man what that buck could have been if the flies hadn't got at the ends of his main beams. His circumferences are astonishing.
The guy could smile alright!

corygale 12-13-2007 09:53 AM

Yeah they are fir trees but one beauty of an animal good eyes guys ,he kinda looks like evan almighty for anyone who saw the movie

Dakota369 12-13-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 209x50 (Post 83922)
Oh man what that buck could have been if the flies hadn't got at the ends of his main beams. His circumferences are astonishing.
The guy could smile alright!

What do you mean" if the flies had not gotten at the ends of his main beams"??????

Kelly & Beth 12-13-2007 10:25 AM

Some belive that the holes in the antlers is caused by flies. The antler is damaged in velvet and flies go lay the eggs inside it and it causes holes. That is what I have been told. Here is one of our old guys who has the same thing, not to the extent that the NS deer has.
Beth
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../deer003-1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...th/deer002.jpg

corygale 12-13-2007 10:30 AM

never knew that often wondered what caused it thanks for the info kelly and beth everyday learnin somethin

albertadave 12-13-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corygale (Post 84008)
never knew that often wondered what caused it thanks for the info kelly and beth everyday learnin somethin

X2
I've got a couple sets of antlers with that and never knew what caused it. Thanks

Walleyes 12-13-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleyes
Its because of that blank look on the face,,,, huh,, what,, were am I ??

No offence, Walleyes, but face to face that one would earn ya a pretty good shot in the nose! Then we'd have a couple more beers together!

Tree
Hey was just ribbin a little guys I think we can all take one once in a while... I work with a lot of eastern boys on the rigs and they throw them as well as they take em.. Mayebe I shouldn't take it for granted that everyone has a sense of humor...

I meant no harm to no one just playin around...

corygale 12-13-2007 11:19 AM

I dont think anyone took offence, im from as far east as it gets and I do give as well as take , its just hard to get a dig in with out offending on a board? its often not read as it would be heard or said or meant if that makes any sense

again great animal and congrats to the guy whoever he may be, sory for poaachin the thread

Roughneck71 12-13-2007 05:28 PM

deer

holy man that bad boy is quite a deer from good ole nova scotia!! ive seen a few monsters down there over the years usually bird hunting tho!lol never one that big! whatta deer! the big boys are there but most people take what comes first to eat.. good job nice deer!

TreeGuy 12-13-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckHunterNB (Post 83891)
Treeguy,

Scott

Hey you guys a pretty sharp, you caught me joking with ya.......yeah joking. Crap, how embarassing.:ashamed:

Tree

PS Walleys, just teasin' ya bud!:wave:

Slugger 12-16-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 83207)
Here's a Nova Scotia buck photo, that a friend from Middleton emailed me.
He says that it's a local deer, but that he doesn't know the hunter.
As it's now '3rd hand', I can't verify its authenticity.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/big_buck.png

I can verify this bucks authenticity, I took the picture along with about 50 others. Shooters name is Geoff Parker, he lives in Kings County N.S. Buck was taken in Kings County. Me and another buddy helped get it out of the woods. 22 points all over an inch long. weight 192 lbs. We green scored him the next day @ 245 Boone & Crockett. Can't wait to see it mounted. And that puzzled look on his face... He's probably trying to figure out how to top this one next year :)

Slugger 12-16-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slugger (Post 85596)
I can verify this bucks authenticity, I took the picture along with about 50 others. Shooters name is Geoff Parker, he lives in Kings County N.S. Buck was taken in Kings County. Me and another buddy helped get it out of the woods. 22 points all over an inch long. weight 192 lbs. We green scored him the next day @ 245 Boone & Crockett. Can't wait to see it mounted. And that puzzled look on his face... He's probably trying to figure out how to top this one next year :)

?

Kelly & Beth 12-16-2007 04:19 PM

yes ?

thumper 12-16-2007 06:56 PM

Thanks for verifying it Slugger!