Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toyo rt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347676)

Bunker363 07-09-2018 08:18 PM

Toyo rt

Anyone running toyo rt’s out there? Thanks!

Truck Norris 07-09-2018 11:56 PM

I'm running them on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 in 35x12.5x18. Honestly not my first choice as this truck is my commuter vehicle between provinces for work, but I use it for a variety of outdoor activities. I'm a huge fan of the Open Country M/T's that I have on my Jeep and have nothing but rave reviews, but the Rugged Terrains are somewhat of an oddball tire. It's tread design is somewhat of a mild mud tire/ aggressive all terrain? I had my doubts but I got an exceptionally good price on them.
I had them mounted in early December to replace the obligatory Duratracs I had worn out over 2 years. The Toyos required very little weight to balance. I put over 600 kms a week on them with no noticeable vibration to speak of. There's a little hum at highway speeds, but nothing objectionable . I was skeptical about their snow and ice performance, as it wasn't designed for the task, but I've honestly driven on some sketchy highways in the prairies of Alberta and Saskatchewan to long sweeping mountain passes of BC with nary a complaint. Surprisingly surefooted!
The tires are bereft of any real siping but have done better than expected with only a modicum of weight in the back throughout the winter.
I sincerely wanted to hate these tires because I don't like the way they look but I've got over 6000 kms on them and there's no uneven wear(regular tire rotation every month) and the performance exceeded my expectations.

Hope this helps

Bunker363 07-10-2018 02:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I’m running duratracs now and really had no complaints until now. I have tread left but just above the rim is cracking. Figured I would look at something different. I will be In and out of fields year round,hunting, ice fishing and back and forth from Alberta to sk and what not. Thought about siping the mt’s but I’m sceptical. Would you rate them better than duratracs? Thanks!!

tirebob 07-10-2018 03:23 PM

Duratrac is definitely going to be a higher level of traction in rougher conditions, but the RT will be a little smoother, street oriented version of an all terrain tire. Being completely honest, I sell a huge amount of Toyo tires, and the RT is the one that I find people most people to be disappointed with. It tries to cover too many areas at once and it can't do any of them overly well and tends to be average. I would personally focus the tires abilities more to what I need, but to each their own.

Bunker363 07-10-2018 04:16 PM

Their complaints been about winter driving or mud? I know the rt won’t be as good as mt in mud but will the rt’s be like duratracs in winter conditions? Thanks again!

tirebob 07-10-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunker363 (Post 3809966)
Their complaints been about winter driving or mud? I know the rt won’t be as good as mt in mud but will the rt’s be like duratracs in winter conditions? Thanks again!

No they will not be as good in winter conditions due primarily to the compounding and siping. Honestly the RT is more the tire for someone who wants something to look like it has offroad/winter abilities but doesn't really want or need those abilities anything over and above average. Like I said, people are disappointed all around as most peoples expectations were higher based on coming from tires like Duratracs or KO2's or the like. It is not a bad quality product... Just more a looker than a doer.

Bunker363 07-10-2018 05:20 PM

Well looks like dura tracs again! Siping mt’s were my next choice but only know a few guys that ever done it. Might play it safe and run duratracs. Thanks for the heads up!!!!

Justfishin73 07-10-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunker363 (Post 3809987)
Well looks like dura tracs again! Siping mt’s were my next choice but only know a few guys that ever done it. Might play it safe and run duratracs. Thanks for the heads up!!!!

Canadian tire gift cards are coming up at Shoppers 10% off soon, combine that with those tires are usually 25% off and they're a pretty good deal to be honest.

Dean2 07-11-2018 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck Norris (Post 3809667)
I'm running them on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 in 35x12.5x18. Honestly not my first choice as this truck is my commuter vehicle between provinces for work, but I use it for a variety of outdoor activities. I'm a huge fan of the Open Country M/T's that I have on my Jeep and have nothing but rave reviews, but the Rugged Terrains are somewhat of an oddball tire. It's tread design is somewhat of a mild mud tire/ aggressive all terrain? I had my doubts but I got an exceptionally good price on them.
I had them mounted in early December to replace the obligatory Duratracs I had worn out over 2 years. The Toyos required very little weight to balance. I put over 600 kms a week on them with no noticeable vibration to speak of. There's a little hum at highway speeds, but nothing objectionable . I was skeptical about their snow and ice performance, as it wasn't designed for the task, but I've honestly driven on some sketchy highways in the prairies of Alberta and Saskatchewan to long sweeping mountain passes of BC with nary a complaint. Surprisingly surefooted!
The tires are bereft of any real siping but have done better than expected with only a modicum of weight in the back throughout the winter.
I sincerely wanted to hate these tires because I don't like the way they look but I've got over 6000 kms on them and there's no uneven wear(regular tire rotation every month) and the performance exceeded my expectations.

Hope this helps

Just a thought, since most of the miles are highway, why not a set of 235-85-16s. Would get a whole lot better gas mileage due to lower rolling resistance and far better in mud, ice and snow.

Truck Norris 07-11-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3810185)
Just a thought, since most of the miles are highway, why not a set of 235-85-16s. Would get a whole lot better gas mileage due to lower rolling resistance and far better in mud, ice and snow.

Can't run 16" as they won't clear the brake calipers unless I grind them down. 17" rims are the minimum for adequate clearance. I need a 35" tire as my Dodge has a 6" suspension lift fit and i regeared the diffs to 4.56 to 1. I am aware that this combination is not ideal for commuting year round, but it's honestly the smallest tire I have on any of my 3 trucks. The Duratracs I had previously before the Toyos were 325/65/18 and were admirable, but I got a very good deal on the RT's.