Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Townpost Scam (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430812)

flyon 04-18-2024 11:44 AM

Townpost Scam

Hey folks,

Just a heads up ..

Came across this smoking deal that looked to good to be true on town post:

https://townpost.ca/marketplace/bc/g...xtreme-weather

Number on the add is a Vancouver area code, not Vernon.

Quick google search of the phone number brought up this "Scammer Forum" thread and the same phone number is used for a Mega Millions phone scam.

https://scammer.info/t/mega-millions...s-hooks/113578

Tried to call the number and there was no answer but an immediate text message reply.

Still looking for a Winchester Model 70 SS in .270....

KGB 04-18-2024 12:24 PM

Hmmm, let me play with him!

bezzola 04-18-2024 03:17 PM

I have a few things on town post and the last 3 days my phone has blown up with scam emails

-JR- 04-18-2024 03:19 PM

Is there a chance he was not home when you called him .
Is there a chance it was a cell phone from Van. and he lives in Vernon now.
How can t be a scam when you knock on door ,he shows you the gun and you give him money and he gives you gun .

flyon 04-18-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4717666)
Is there a chance he was not home when you called him .
Is there a chance it was a cell phone from Van. and he lives in Vernon now.
How can t be a scam when you knock on door ,he shows you the gun and you give him money and he gives you gun .

All possibilities.

Did an image search on google from the post and those same photos from TownPost come up in multiple ads across Canada

If it seems to good to be true...

KGB 04-18-2024 08:02 PM

I texted him, he replied right away. Gave some details about the gun, then I ask him if I can come and meet him. He agreed and even gave me his address after I suggested to meet at a police station or any public place. He said he is busy today but will be free on a week end to meet… I agreed. The address is in Vernon, some new apartment building.

KGB 04-18-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyon (Post 4717680)
All possibilities.

Did an image search on google from the post and those same photos from TownPost come up in multiple ads across Canada

If it seems to good to be true...

That’s the sure thing is a big red flag!

32-40win 04-19-2024 09:57 AM

Simple solution is don't use Townpost. I'm just not a fan of the online private sales stuff unless I can drive over and look at it in person.

-JR- 04-19-2024 10:05 AM

If he is posting all over ,he might be a trucker and will meet you in other places Also if you buy anything out side his house hold , be sure you get all the info off his drivers licence, as it may be stolen .

KGB 04-19-2024 11:39 AM

I talked to the OP and we compared the notes… this is definitely a scam! The guy gives us two different stories about the gun. He told me he had 80 rounds thru and he told the op he had just 5. And I don’t think the driver will be carrying a $4000 rifle with him across the country trying to sell it in every city that he visits…
Anyway. As usual, if it’s too good to be true it probably is. It’s just really upsetting that these ars holes will be able to scam people for their hard earned money. :angry3:

W921 04-19-2024 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 4717936)
I talked to the OP and we compared the notes… this is definitely a scam! The guy gives us two different stories about the gun. He told me he had 80 rounds thru and he told the op he had just 5. And I don’t think the driver will be carrying a $4000 rifle with him across the country trying to sell it in every city that he visits…
Anyway. As usual, if it’s too good to be true it probably is. It’s just really upsetting that these ars holes will be able to scam people for their hard earned money. :angry3:

So you think if you met him in person you could get robbed? Or is he looking for some online deposit or something?

W921 04-19-2024 01:15 PM

So how would you do a legal gun sale at a police station?
Our RCMP station you are not even allowed to park on the property.
You go in the door and its like a small contained room where they could come at you from three possible sides. Its structural fortress but you can't really see anything inside the station even on inside.
I seriously think RCMP would lose their minds if they saw anyone in town with a rifle.
I suspect they are not going to want anything to do with any gun deals unless they can arrest or take the gun.

Years ago when I used to buy and sell guns I have gone to rcmp trying to get help so I didn't knowingly buy a stolen gun etc. They didn't give a flying you know what about helping me and that was years ago when they were the good guys

Drewski Canuck 04-19-2024 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 32-40win (Post 4717899)
Simple solution is don't use Townpost, OR FACEBOOK MARKET PLACE, OR KIJJI, OR CGN OR ..... I'm just not a fan of the online private sales stuff unless I can drive over and look at it in person.

You see, crooks have always been around. On CBC the Driveway Paving Scammers where at it so bad that the RCMP decided that they have to get involved!!! Must have been a relative of the RCMP Sargant who got took for the RCMP to take notice!!!

Crooks are everywhere. Expect it. If you don't, then I am a Nigerian Princess and there are $50 Million stuck in a Swiss Bank Account I need your help recovering ... I'll give you half!

Drewski

KGB 04-19-2024 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W921 (Post 4717969)
So how would you do a legal gun sale at a police station?
Our RCMP station you are not even allowed to park on the property.
You go in the door and its like a small contained room where they could come at you from three possible sides. Its structural fortress but you can't really see anything inside the station even on inside.
I seriously think RCMP would lose their minds if they saw anyone in town with a rifle.
I suspect they are not going to want anything to do with any gun deals unless they can arrest or take the gun.

Years ago when I used to buy and sell guns I have gone to rcmp trying to get help so I didn't knowingly buy a stolen gun etc. They didn't give a flying you know what about helping me and that was years ago when they were the good guys

I mentioned the police station as a meeting point just to see his reaction. But I tend to agree with you regarding their reaction lol….

88thunderbird 04-19-2024 02:32 PM

Townpost was great at first , I recently ran an ad for my .22 for sale included my number . had people phoning and texting 3 in the morning . if it wasn't that , scam reply's during daytime.

KGB 04-19-2024 06:03 PM

I don’t think it’s the town post problem but pretty much every single buy and sell platform. It’s not the platform, it is people who scam and steal.

shooter55 04-21-2024 08:52 AM

I watched the Beekeeper
That's how all low life scammers should be treated

KGB 04-21-2024 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter55 (Post 4718317)
I watched the Beekeeper
That's how all low life scammers should be treated

Agreed!

TBark 04-21-2024 05:22 PM

Beekeeper eh,
Trailer looks great.
Thieves and bullies aren’t always town tuffies.
Good to see the keyboard bandits get what they deserve too, ha.

TBark