Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ab Seniors Fishing License ?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430081)

roper1 03-17-2024 08:14 PM

Ab Seniors Fishing License ??

Some discussion regarding Senior's needing to buy a license. Bought licenses all these years, some years just a donation knowing I wasn't getting out at all.

WayneChristie 03-17-2024 08:15 PM

over 65 all you need is proof of age. I just carry my drivers license when I fish, seeing as I drive there anyways

roper1 03-17-2024 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 4709907)
over 65 all you need is proof of age. I just carry my drivers license when I fish, seeing as I drive there anyways

That's what I'm saying Wayne, at the AFGA there was discussion about implementing a Senior's license. I could see how Gov't would actually like to know how many seniors are fishing. Canuck Tire or Cabela's probably don't want to issue them for free

CNP 03-17-2024 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 4709907)

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4709913)
That's what I'm saying Wayne, at the AFGA there was discussion about implementing a Senior's license. I could see how Gov't would actually like to know how many seniors are fishing. Canuck Tire or Cabela's probably don't want to issue them for free

I have a fishing license that expired three years ago. It shows yours birthdate. I use that as proof of age. Nothing says I have to have photo ID in order to fish in this country.

AFGA is not the government and it's not in their mandate to recommend fees and or licensing. What would compel the AFGA to act on this? Maybe it's about the miniscule amount of money that the government could wring out of seniors or the ever increasing overwatch on everything we do. So I have to ask, why would the AFGA bring this to the government?

Quote:

Headquartered in Edmonton, The AFGA is one of Alberta’s older associations and charities having existed since 1908 and registered since 1946. It’s a federation model with club members in six zones across the province, and promotes through education, advocacy, and programs, the conservation and utilization of fish and wildlife and their habitat.

roper1 03-17-2024 08:56 PM

The way I understand it, the gov't approached the AFGA. Certainly controversial.

goldscud 03-17-2024 09:18 PM

I imagine they just trying to get and estimate of how many "experienced rods" are out on the water making use of the resources

elkhunter11 03-17-2024 10:15 PM

Implementing a seniors license will be a waste of money. The AFGA membership is shrinking, and silly ideas like this won't gain them any more support.

CBintheNorth 03-17-2024 10:32 PM

The 'More Equals' are still dropping nets and pulling out unknown numbers of fish, and they're worried about a few cotton heads?
Sounds about right.

-JR- 03-17-2024 11:02 PM

It would be nice if we could fish in all the provinces for free once we hit 65

Fradaburidi 03-18-2024 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4709962)

So over 65 applies only if you are resident of that province?

-JR- 03-18-2024 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fradaburidi (Post 4710013)
So over 65 applies only if you are resident of that province?

yes .

elkhunter11 03-18-2024 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4709962)

Some provinces actually require a licence for senior residents, like B.C. Some even require a youth license.

-JR- 03-18-2024 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4710096)
Some provinces actually require a licence for senior residents, like B.C. Some even require a youth license.

na

fish99 03-18-2024 03:40 PM

I hope I don’t have to buy a license as this will be my first year for free

coyotezh 03-18-2024 03:59 PM

cannot give any reason to let senior to buy licence. The more money the government holds, the more mass in the lakes

-JR- 03-19-2024 09:03 AM

I can only think of two licences that you don't need to take a course . A fishing licence and a wedding license .. Both should be void at 65 ! lol

Fradaburidi 03-19-2024 10:02 AM

Some of the out of province/country license fees are outrageous compared to the resident ones and yes would be nice not to have to pay for them but when it comes to buying an Alberta fishing license as a resident that's the least expensive item that you have to buy. There are lures more expensive than a license, not that I buy them.

I'm not saying free stuff is not good and I'm not for seniors having to pay for a fishing license but not having to buy one will not save you much.

trapperdodge 03-20-2024 10:58 AM

Ontario offers a free fishing license to Canadian residents over 65. I think you need an Ontario Outdoors card. I don't know of any other province that extends that benefit to seniors. Saskatchewan wants almost $100 for a nonresident fishing license.

deschambault 03-20-2024 03:32 PM

NWT fishing license was free for 65+ Alberta resident when I last got one.

graybeard 03-20-2024 04:35 PM

BC fishing license cost

As for an Alberta senior's license; I worked long and hard and I thank you for the monitory break...

FYI
BC fishing.....Canadian Non-Resident License Fees

License Type Cost (Canadian Funds)

Sport Fishing License - 1 year $81.57
Conservation License - 1 year $50.52
Sport Fishing License - 8 Day $52.41
Conservation License - 8 Day $29.97

https://www.chadsfishingcharters.com...hing-licenses/

deschambault 03-21-2024 08:30 PM

As an Alberta senior I now only buy BC, Sask and Florida licenses. Any of them is a very tiny part of my expense and well worth it. You have to do your part for conservation.

thumper 03-21-2024 10:59 PM

I’m over 65 now, so that’s one down.

But instead of an Alberta fishing licence, now I have to pay for an annual Kananaskis Conservation Pass to fish close to home. Which is way more than an Alberta fishing licence!

Plus
I’m still buying a Western National Park licence to fish Banff & Jasper
And BC Non_resident freshwater
And BC Tidal waters (DFO) for my annual saltwater trip

elkhunter11 03-22-2024 06:14 AM

Given the number of youths that fish without licences, and the people that don't require a license because of their race, I don't see any value in the government requiring 65 years and older to purchase a license. They have paid their share for 50 years or more, so why not give them a break?

Lornce 03-22-2024 07:57 AM

A license for seniors in BC is $5.00. Keeps track of how many people use the resource but is still cheap. It states in the regulations that a senior can also pay full price to support the program, stocking etc.

Fradaburidi 03-22-2024 08:37 AM

If you live/fish in BC you'll most likely have to buy 2 licenses: one for fresh water and another one for tidal waters that is the Ocean and, depending on the river, the last few kilometers before the river flows into the Ocean.

Fresh waters are provincial, tidal are federal and so more expensive.

thumper 03-22-2024 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornce (Post 4711004)
A license for seniors in BC is $5.00. Keeps track of how many people use the resource but is still cheap. It states in the regulations that a senior can also pay full price to support the program, stocking etc.

Just to be clear, a license for seniors *who are BC residents* is $5.50. Alberta seniors fishing in BC don’t get a break, they pay the $60.44 + tax. Non-resident Canadian adult rate.

BC adult residents pay $39.56

BC residents who fish in Alberta pay the same as Albertans!
I guess that’s because it’s too complicated to for us to figure out how to charge a different non-resident fee. We’re too busy trying to figure out how to get the provincial regulations out before the fishing season begins. - but I digress…

roper1 03-22-2024 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4710991)
Given the number of youths that fish without licences, and the people that don't require a license because of their race, I don't see any value in the government requiring 65 years and older to purchase a license. They have paid their share for 50 years or more, so why not give them a break?

This is kind of my thoughts, but I suppose $5.00 to get an idea how many old geezers there are out there might help.

The other side of it is, if the number of 65+ is big enough & now public, the old guys & gals would have some strength in numbers perhaps

ORV 03-26-2024 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 4711247)
Just to be clear, a license for seniors *who are BC residents* is $5.50. Alberta seniors fishing in BC don’t get a break, they pay the $60.44 + tax. Non-resident Canadian adult rate.

BC adult residents pay $39.56

I guess that’s because it’s too complicated to for us to figure out how to charge a different non-resident fee. We’re too busy trying to figure out how to get the provincial regulations out before the fishing season begins. - but I digress…

I guess that’s because it’s too complicated to for us to figure out how to charge a different non-resident fee. We’re too busy trying to figure out how to get the provincial regulations out before the fishing season begins.

No Kidding! I Agree

Fradaburidi 03-26-2024 02:36 PM

https://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/f...nces-Costs.pdf

tallieho 03-26-2024 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornce (Post 4711004)

I believe the $5.00 is if your a BC resident