Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   For once...two thumbs up for Quebec (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325579)

bobtodrick 07-16-2017 08:45 PM

For once...two thumbs up for Quebec

Well, in my mind anyway
http://globalnews.ca/news/3602737/qu...slim-cemetery/

Newview01 07-16-2017 09:11 PM

They'll get it anyway.

I mean what kind of xenophobe would you have to be to vote against it?

Trochu 07-16-2017 09:14 PM

"But Quebec City Muslims said their community deserves the same rights as all other religious groups, which have their own burial grounds."

There are Hindu, Christian, Buddha only cemeteries in Canada?

bobinthesky 07-16-2017 09:22 PM

Quebecers don't like anyone being more special than them!

elkhunter11 07-16-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobinthesky (Post 3584885)
Quebecers don't like anyone being more special than them!

And that is exactly what it comes down to.

Unregistered user 07-17-2017 07:09 AM

Whilst Canadians are told to be more inclusive, these guys want an Exclusive place to dump their corpses. Hmmmm.

Bushrat 07-17-2017 07:27 AM

Only Quebec could get away with that. Try that in Alberta and see what happens.

Grizzly Adams 07-17-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 3584877)
"But Quebec City Muslims said their community deserves the same rights as all other religious groups, which have their own burial grounds."

There are Hindu, Christian, Buddha only cemeteries in Canada?

Muslim cemetery by Cochrane, lot's of Jewish and Catholic, wouldn't want God to get them mixed up.

Grizz

CaberTosser 07-17-2017 08:26 AM

I'm of the opinion that no new cemeteries for anyone should be built. Cremation for all from this point forward. It strikes me as wasteful to dedicate even a small amount of land in all perpetuity to memorialize people who will only be remembered by the one or two successive generations then ignored for all eternity. Build a park for kids to play in instead.

That being said, hopefully the reason was more due to residents not wanting a cemetery in the particular plot of land than not wanting that particular cemetery there. That may or may not be the case, but you know that some people will be crying racism even if the rejection was due to something else entirely such as neighbouring property owners simply not wanting their homes adjacent a cemetery.

Muliespotter 07-17-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3585044)
Muslim cemetery by Cochrane, lot's of Jewish and Catholic, wouldn't want God to get them mixed up.

Grizz

I thought the go to phrase was something about god sorting them out?

fish_e_o 07-17-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrat (Post 3585042)
Only Quebec could get away with that. Try that in Alberta and see what happens.

i guess if you don't sign the constitution you can play by your own rules

Mulehahn 07-17-2017 02:22 PM

It was a vote by the people who live directly around the proposed grounds whether they wanted a cemetery or not. Don't think the vote would of been much different if it was a completely open cemetery, Catholic, Asian, or anyone else. A similar vote was held close to where I grew up and the outcome was the same! A realistic fact is cemeteries bring down property value! Sounds crass, but it is true.

For what it is worth, yes there are other Exclusive cemeteries in Canada. My Great Uncle is buried in a Catholic Cemetery. You must be a confirmed Catholic to be buried there. Also, in the Cemetery where my mom is buried a large section was purchased by the Chinese Community with the express purpose of controlling who is buried there. These are both in BC. Many cultures, religions, ancestries have specific beliefs around death and burial and want them to be honoured.

covey ridge 07-17-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliespotter (Post 3585074)
I thought the go to phrase was something about god sorting them out?

It was kill them all and let God sort them out. It was a big shot in the RC church.

It was during a time when the RC church was killing heretics and the question was how do we tell the difference or what should be done when not sure?

catnthehat 07-17-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covey ridge (Post 3585424)
It was kill them all and let God sort them out. It was a big shot in the RC church.

It was during a time when the RC church was killing heretics and the question was how do we tell the difference or what should be done when not sure?

Actually I think the correct phrase is " Kill them all , God will know his own"
During the massacre of Beziers in 1209 .
I think there are several versions of the phrase but I don't speak Latin .:budo:
Cat

CaberTosser 07-17-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amosfella (Post 3585538)
Why burn everyone?? Feed them to the pigs, then we can eat the pigs..... Wait... Maybe not the best of best ideas... :P

Burning them all increases carbon emissions. lol

Not if your crematorium uses a large magnifying glass. Just like with the ants when you were a kid, only bigger!

Man, I think I just came up with a business concept for funeral homes that will have to deal with environmentalist clientele :thinking-006:

Sundancefisher 07-18-2017 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3585044)

Grizz

Yup.

Lots of denominational cemeteries in Alberta.

http://www.prairiesouls.com/counties.php

roger 07-18-2017 06:15 AM

the root of the problem stems from faith and tribalism.
less religions ..less problems.

covey ridge 07-18-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3585542)
Actually I think the correct phrase is " Kill them all , God will know his own"
During the massacre of Beziers in 1209 .
I think there are several versions of the phrase but I don't speak Latin .:budo:
Cat

Yep! It was Catholics killing Cathars who often lived amongst the others. Cathars who shared some of the same religious traditions as Catholics were declared heretics and order killed. Scholars have often not agreed who actually gave the order and there are many translations. The long and the short of it is there was lots of killing in the name of Christ.

Muliespotter 07-18-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger (Post 3585762)
the root of the problem stems from faith and tribalism.
less religions ..less problems.

We could all wish this came about. And hope. It may take a while for rationality to come to many.

Grizzly Adams 07-18-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliespotter (Post 3585970)
We could all wish this came about. And hope. It may take a while for rationality to come to many.

Unfortunately , ignorance and superstition seem to be winning the battle. the more we learn, the less inclined people become to believe it

Grizz

covey ridge 07-18-2017 02:23 PM

I see nothing wrong with any group of people wanting a sacred spot to bury their dead.