Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Problem kitty cat on private land (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337138)

cdmc 01-12-2018 02:01 PM

Problem kitty cat on private land
 
Been knowlage of a cat roaming our 1/4 since logging started last month. It has in the past been keeping away from the animals and livestock/home site. Last week had fresh tracks within 20 yards of the house. Dog was killed off neighbors deck last month.

How does a guy approach this? Not a cat Hunter and given every other 1/4 is private dogs become an issue crossing property lines.

Cat is a youngster from wife's description

fish_e_o 01-12-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmc (Post 3707777)
Been knowlage of a cat roaming our 1/4 since logging started last month. It has in the past been keeping away from the animals and livestock/home site. Last week had fresh tracks within 20 yards of the house. Dog was killed off neighbors deck last month.

How does a guy approach this? Not a cat Hunter and given every other 1/4 is private dogs become an issue crossing property lines.

Cat is a youngster from wife's description

*Cougar
Any person who is the owner or occupant of privately owned land may at any time of year, hunt (but not trap) cougar on such lands without a licence. Hunting with dogs is prohibited under this authority. Under this authority, registration is required within one week of the kill by bringing the skin and skull (or intact carcass) to a Fish and Wildlife office. A premolar tooth will be retained for aging.

* It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of furbearing animals (includes coyote and wolf) or black bear taken in accordance with regulations authorizing the control of problem wildlife set out in this part. The skin and skull of cougar taken on privately-owned land as described must be submitted at time of registration as noted, but the cougar pelt does not need to be further salvaged. Click here for information about seasons for coyote and wolf.

wildbill 01-12-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmc (Post 3707777)
Been knowlage of a cat roaming our 1/4 since logging started last month. It has in the past been keeping away from the animals and livestock/home site. Last week had fresh tracks within 20 yards of the house. Dog was killed off neighbors deck last month.

How does a guy approach this? Not a cat Hunter and given every other 1/4 is private dogs become an issue crossing property lines.

Cat is a youngster from wife's description

The cats got some bad habits, maybe it'll smarten up, but, I doubt it, they are around more than one realizes, loosing fear of humans isn't a very good start to its life. The guy livin on my mom and aunts land by Twin Butte had two alpacas killed by a rogue kitty, hauled them up and over an 8' game fence, that needed medicine, a lead pill to the coconut. Not the type of animal you want hanging around, very efficient killers they are.

Bluedog 01-12-2018 03:11 PM

Just chalk it up too the fact that you live in the Country! Dog taste good when it's -40 C out!
Bluedog

YYC338 01-12-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluedog (Post 3707829)
Just chalk it up too the fact that you live in the Country! Dog taste good when it's -40 C out!
Bluedog

And then what do you recommend after you're done "chalking it up". Keep finding it dogs? I believe the OP was looking for a solution

slough shark 01-12-2018 03:35 PM

You’re allowed to shoot it so if you have the chance do so, it sounds like it has some bad habits and as a side benefit the other wildlife in the area will thank you, most areas in Alberta with cougars have too many anyways.

sage 13 01-12-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmc (Post 3707777)
Been knowlage of a cat roaming our 1/4 since logging started last month. It has in the past been keeping away from the animals and livestock/home site. Last week had fresh tracks within 20 yards of the house. Dog was killed off neighbors deck last month.

How does a guy approach this? Not a cat Hunter and given every other 1/4 is private dogs become an issue crossing property lines.

Cat is a youngster from wife's description

Sounds like the neighbour has the problem, what kind of dog did the neighbour have, was it killed and taken away or just killed. Was it tied on the deck or chased to the deck trying to get away.
If you decide to use dogs to chase the cat best to talk to the neighbours.

cdmc 01-12-2018 04:32 PM

Appreciate the responses guys.
We bought this land late last year so history is short. We have lived in the area a while so this issue isn't new but the bold activity is.
I get land owner permits and such as stated.

I had some advice from a fellow trapper to put a radio out on low volume which should discourage predetory animals. No change.

We have two livestock companion dogs that do a great job
With everything up until this point.

skidderman 01-12-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmc (Post 3707885)
Appreciate the responses guys.
We bought this land late last year so history is short. We have lived in the area a while so this issue isn't new but the bold activity is.
I get land owner permits and such as stated.

I had some advice from a fellow trapper to put a radio out on low volume which should discourage predetory animals. No change.

We have two livestock companion dogs that do a great job
With everything up until this point.

I doubt a radio will help. Cougars are not afraid of human's or the noise they make. If you don't want to shoot it you may be able to get someone who can as long as it is on your land & they have given you permission. Having said that don't take my word. I would call F&W & see what they have to say.

MooseRiverTrapper 01-12-2018 05:19 PM

What WMU? Is the CMA still open?

IR_mike 01-12-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidderman (Post 3707922)
I doubt a radio will help. Cougars are not afraid of human's or the noise they make. If you don't want to shoot it you may be able to get someone who can as long as it is on your land & they have given you permission. Having said that don't take my word. I would call F&W & see what they have to say.

Only applies to occupants of said land unless its during the Nov general season.
Knowing the op's WMU would make it easier to give more accurate info.

H380 01-13-2018 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmc (Post 3707885)
Appreciate the responses guys.
We bought this land late last year so history is short. We have lived in the area a while so this issue isn't new but the bold activity is.
I get land owner permits and such as stated.

I had some advice from a fellow trapper to put a radio out on low volume which should discourage predetory animals. No change.

We have two livestock companion dogs that do a great job
With everything up until this point.

Radio will make good back ground music on the video when you call him in and shoot him .. Dont mess around and assume he will straighten out his habits or leave . Next victim could be a child . :scared0018:

play.soccer 01-13-2018 12:37 PM

I would SSS or DIY a euro mount of the skull. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

fish_e_o 01-13-2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by play.soccer (Post 3708451)
I would SSS or DIY a euro mount of the skull. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Why? I would srm. Shoot register and mount

play.soccer 01-13-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 3708669)
Why? I would srm. Shoot register and mount

Cool story bro tell it again.

fish_e_o 01-13-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by play.soccer (Post 3708736)
Cool story bro tell it again.

Why? I would srm. Shoot register and mount

I'd like to point out it's stupid to break the law when following the law is so freaking simple. Especially in this case.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.