Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which would you choose? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=249021)

Jonny14 03-19-2015 09:25 PM

Which would you choose?

Hi everyone,

I was recently in the city test driving some bows. I really liked the Bowtech Carbon Overdrive, and the Elite Energy. Any thoughts you have on either of these, please let me know and help me make a choice. Thanks,

Lefty-Canuck 03-19-2015 09:30 PM

Personally I would go with the Carbon Overdrive if you have shot it and like it.

LC

diamond k 03-19-2015 09:54 PM

If you liked the Elite do yourself a favor and give a Prime a whirl.

Jonny14 03-19-2015 10:22 PM

I did shoot the Prime as well. I did like it but preferred the other two.

Kurt505 03-19-2015 10:54 PM

Did you happen to try a Bowtech RPM 360?

I'm all about the Hoyt carbon bows, but the Bowtech carbons didn't seem to do it for me. The RPM 360 on the other hand, blew me away.

I tried the entire Bowtech lineup, as well as a few Hoyt's, Mathews, PSE's, Primes, and Elites. It was the RPM 360 that impressed me the most, but everoyone is different.

Nobody knows which bow you should buy better than you.

normanrd 03-19-2015 11:23 PM

I bought an overdrive last year and have shot it quite a bit. I like it, and it is about 4 fps faster than the advertised Ibo. Mine comes in at 347-348 fps. I put Bomar draw stops on and it helped it out lots! I preferred the feel and draw cycle of it over the 360 when I shot them side by side.

If I didn't already have a great hunting bow in the Overdrive, I would for sure purchase a Nitrum turbo or carbon spyder turbo. By far the nicest speed bow I have shot. Ever.

I see you are in Whitecourt, as am I. If you end up deciding on an overdrive, get in touch with me and I might make you a great deal on a year old model that's tuned to perfection and mint condition. Then I could buy a Hoyt! Lol

L.O.S.T.Arrow 03-20-2015 07:41 AM

:D Well Sice we are all menioning different brands than OP stated...did you try an APA ...lol

Neil

Jonny14 03-20-2015 09:58 AM

I did try an APA as well. Very nice bow too, but I'm stuck on the two I mentioned before. Thanks for all the input so far.

L.O.S.T.Arrow 03-20-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny14 (Post 2771452)
I did try an APA as well. Very nice bow too, but I'm stuck on the two I mentioned before. Thanks for all the input so far.

:D You did well...Good job...
Of the two I would go with the Elite...easier to work on....:scared0018:

Neil

The moose 03-20-2015 11:15 AM

what you like

For me I loved the elite line of bows and was not sold on the bowtechs to be honest. It comes down to what you feel makes most sense for you.

finishing on elites is top notch for sure.

sako22 03-20-2015 12:19 PM

I prefer Carbon Overdrive

normanrd 03-20-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow (Post 2771523)
:D You did well...Good job...
Of the two I would go with the Elite...easier to work on....:scared0018:

Neil

How do you figure that? If he is doing his own work, of the 2 the bowtech is more tune able with its binary cams with split yokes, and the flx guard. Still need the same press as the geometry is very similar between the 2. If he's not doing his own work it doesn't matter anyway.

remmy300 03-20-2015 01:07 PM

shoot what feels better to you. you will get a pile of different answers from everyone here.

Personally i would go with the PSE Decree HD! :)

L.O.S.T.Arrow 03-20-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normanrd (Post 2771650)
How do you figure that? If he is doing his own work, of the 2 the bowtech is more tune able with its binary cams with split yokes, and the flx guard. Still need the same press as the geometry is very similar between the 2. If he's not doing his own work it doesn't matter anyway.

Lol ok ....Was refering not to tune up... but when a catastrophic failure occurs...lol dryfire with broken strings..

Neil

huntbatty 03-20-2015 01:52 PM

I rep Elite

normanrd 03-20-2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow (Post 2771679)
Lol ok ....Was refering not to tune up... but when a catastrophic failure occurs...lol dryfire with broken strings..

Neil

Ah, gotcha! Ya, I can see the bowtech being a tad more difficult to repair after an explosion. Luckily I have never and any blow ups occur on any of my bows over the years.

brohymn2 03-20-2015 03:50 PM

Id go bowtech, part of the reason is there is adjustable drawlength which allows for fine tuning your DL and it will make it easier to sell the bow if you decide to buy something newer in a few years. good luck with your decision

Jonny14 03-20-2015 09:10 PM

Thanks so much for all the input guys. Although I do have to say that you didn't make my decision any easier.
Norm PM me and I'll give you my number. This is Jonathan. I'd like to bend your ear about your bow.

normanrd 03-20-2015 10:30 PM

Sent you mine in the pm. Give me a shout any time.

Kurt505 03-20-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normanrd (Post 2771184)

I see you are in Whitecourt, as am I. If you end up deciding on an overdrive, get in touch with me and I might make you a great deal on a year old model that's tuned to perfection and mint condition. Then I could buy a Hoyt! Lol

That's funny because I have a Carbon Spyder Turbo and I like the draw on my RPM 360 better.

It amazes me just how much body structure must affect perceived draw cycles.

Albertabowhunter 03-20-2015 11:01 PM

Get the one that fits you the best. Noone can choose a bow for you, the bow chooses you. Shoot as many as you can and the one that feels right, is the one.

normanrd 03-21-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 2772269)
That's funny because I have a Carbon Spyder Turbo and I like the draw on my RPM 360 better.

It amazes me just how much body structure must affect perceived draw cycles.

For sure. I really did like the nitrum turbo! I have been shooting my pro edge elite lots, and it has z5's, which have a way different draw cycle than the overdrive binaries. I think I like the z5 draw cycle more, but that's not the only thing that does it for me. I know the turbos have their own cam, but they are similar to a z5.

However, I have been shooting bowtechs of binary cam since it came out, ant there are variants that are better than the others. And they all have "the hump" some worse than others.

The biggest thing I noticed is that I like the geometry of the riser on the nitrum too, which the cst does not have. The nitrum has a stiffer riser and is offset as well. I like the grip on the nitrum better too. It felt really good after the shot as well. Each to their own though.

Jmo, norm