Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cutting "Big" Fishing Holes (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=76377)

CeeZee 12-07-2010 07:24 AM

Cutting "Big" Fishing Holes

So I understand the reason for drilling the two holes to catch big fish, but is there some type of regulation on the size of hole that can be cut? I wondered if the was if they only make a 10inch auger and no bigger.
I personally dont like to see those big wholes, especially in places where the fisher picks up and leaves.

Example senario, Me and my family went fishing, drilled our holes and began fishing, as usual the kids cant sit still so they are wondering around and step into a "big" hole and down they go!!!!

At least with a single hole there is a better chance that only one leg will stay up, but a bigger hole they could fall right in.

Perhaps I am putting this post up just to remind people about being carefull with those holes, try and mark them or something, just think of the next people to come by that fishing spot when your not there that day.
Not a rant, just my thoughts.

Happy Fishing.
:)

WayneChristie 12-07-2010 07:37 AM

I was going to mention something about people keeping an eye on their children in potentially dangerous situations, but I wont. None of my business if people let their kids play in traffic. Most days a hole freezes over enough to take weight in minutes.

Geezle 12-07-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 756756)
I was going to mention something about people keeping an eye on their children in potentially dangerous situations, but I wont.

I think you just did! :lol:

And I'm on the trolley with your line of thinking.

Lilbita1 12-07-2010 08:07 AM

While I kinda agree with your idea about supervision, I still figure it's our responsibility to fix what we break. If we create a potentially unsafe situation we gotta mitigate that when we are done (thanks Judge Judy lol). Posts about bow fishing and 2x3 or 4x5 holes got me thinking about this even more. When I leave my holes, whether it be an 8" or a 15x15" for the nets I freeze 'em back in with ice chunks and snow and mark 'em with a stick.

Jimboy 12-07-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeeZee (Post 756746)
So I understand the reason for drilling the two holes to catch big fish, but is there some type of regulation on the size of hole that can be cut? I wondered if the was if they only make a 10inch auger and no bigger.
I personally dont like to see those big wholes, especially in places where the fisher picks up and leaves.

Example senario, Me and my family went fishing, drilled our holes and began fishing, as usual the kids cant sit still so they are wondering around and step into a "big" hole and down they go!!!!

At least with a single hole there is a better chance that only one leg will stay up, but a bigger hole they could fall right in.

Perhaps I am putting this post up just to remind people about being carefull with those holes, try and mark them or something, just think of the next people to come by that fishing spot when your not there that day.
Not a rant, just my thoughts.

Happy Fishing.
:)

YUP , and a 25lb plus pike will easily fit through an 8 in hole , they squeeze up like a sponge and are so slippery , no problem , all you may need is a good fish grabber tool to grab it by the lower lip .

Geezle 12-07-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilbita1 (Post 756773)
When I leave my holes, whether it be an 8" or a 15x15" for the nets I freeze 'em back in with ice chunks and snow and mark 'em with a stick.

FYI a hole will freeze up faster if you don't put stuff in it :)

huntsfurfish 12-07-2010 02:57 PM

Valid concerns CeeZee!

Not to surprised at the responses you got from the other posters. Unfortunately, lack of concern for others is growing on here and elsewhere!

Besides why in the world would anybody want to take any responsibility for their actions?

pophouseman 12-07-2010 03:06 PM

responsibility

HMMMM...take responsibility....... maybe be responsible enough to not take little kids out on the ice. It's not the safest place for children.......if you can't keep your kids under control, don't bring them....... me thinks parental responsibility is the issue here...why are you depending on someone else to make sure your kids are safe in a potentially unsafe situation.....just my opinion

huntsfurfish 12-07-2010 03:15 PM

Actually a combination of the 2 would be preferable!

diamonddave 12-07-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 757129)
Valid concerns CeeZee!

Not to surprised at the responses you got from the other posters. Unfortunately, lack of concern for others is growing on here and elsewhere!

Besides why in the world would anybody want to take any responsibility for their actions?

Exactly! Know where your kids are, know what they are doing, and realize that just because you are out on a big wide open frozen lake, that you still have to watch over your kids. Take responsibility for you and your kids.
I always take my young kids out on the lake, but they also have been shown the dangers and have had the lessons of what is safe and what isn't. With this said, i still know where they are and what they are doing.
I am one of the guys that will pullout a 24X24 chunk of ice, but i will always put the ice back and mark it. It is up to everybody to pay attention and be safe.

AxeMan 12-07-2010 03:26 PM

Safety comes with an effort from everyone including anglers not leaving dangerous situations and parents watching their children.

diamonddave 12-07-2010 03:32 PM

"Not sure why some guys think they need big holes in the ice.........unless you are trying to lift the fish out sideways.....

Safety comes with an effort from everyone including anglers not leaving dangerous situations and parents watching their children."

We cut the big holes because it is a blast for the kids. They get to watch the fish and stay engaged, and optimistic, that we have a chance to catch one of those "big" fish. Its like having your own live aquarium, and the kids love it. And to me thats what its all about, listening to the kids laugh and getting excited. When we are done we put the ice back and mark the four corners with tree limbs.

Paul C 12-07-2010 03:44 PM

Question

Just wondering how you put augered ice chips back in the hole ?
Leaving large holes would that not endanger pets, wildlife and children as well ?

CeeZee 12-07-2010 05:15 PM

OK so its my resposability to watch my kids, no s*** Shurlock! You can show the kids the danger, how many people taught their kids to not touch its hot, and what happens?

how many 4 yr old kids have ran into a wall? they get excited and go to run and bam! they may know where the hole is but it doesnt mean they are alert to it non stop!

Everyone beaks about getting youth interested in the outdoors, and it people with the attitude like some here that dampen the opportunity for it, because they would be inconvenienced by pulling a fish thru a regular hole, i have never seen anyone need a hole bigger than 10 inch to pull fish out, but those were likely people who had kids and were not selfless.

Wasnt starting a rant but when comment like Mr Christie come thru it gets a little hairy.

You watch your kids as much as you can, think you get a bite, look down the hole for 1 second, that would be how long it would take for a kids to fall in.

To be honest i am in disbelief in some of the negative attitudes about it!!! Children's safety should be a concern for all Adults, but its more for "responsable" adults i guess.

FishingMOM 12-07-2010 05:43 PM

I have NEVER seen the need for a larger hole than what a single auger can make on a single pass.

So many guys were worried about BUMPS if the debris wasnt flattened out when someone left a hole. I know I could easily put my foot through these double holes. I also know my son would be small enough to fall into said holes.
Infact in many areas it is recommended that you use an auger with a diameter of less than 6 inches. This is to keep everyone safe!

latenite 12-07-2010 05:52 PM

whoa

This thread is getting angry! I have seen these large hole (craters) lol, and they are very cool to watch and fish.Ii agree we need to watch our kids.I do, fortunately mine are older now, and can watch for themselves . BUT get a 5 year old on the ice and in approx 5.35 min, they're bored, and want to run. That's what kids do! thats what we did when we were young.
Whew! I believe the question was what do people think should be done with the larger holes when they're done with them, not how is he supposed to raise his kids.
Having said all that, I have seen these holes after they're vacated and I believe they will hold a child's weight after freezing a night or two, because usually when a shack is moved the hole has already stated freezing. most people leave them frozen when moving the shack and use the ice chunks and twigs and flagging to mark and surround the hole.
IMVHO

WayneChristie 12-07-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimboy (Post 756789)
YUP , and a 25lb plus pike will easily fit through an 8 in hole , they squeeze up like a sponge and are so slippery , no problem , all you may need is a good fish grabber tool to grab it by the lower lip .

Have you ever caught a 25 pound pike and landed it thru an 8 inch hole? and how much damage did you do to the fish with your lip grabber and scraping it against the ice??? Just curious.

DarkAisling 12-07-2010 06:07 PM

To the best of my knowledge, there is no legislation that governs what size hole one can cut.

That being said . . . any hole, regardless of size, can be a hazard.

Sowbelly 12-07-2010 06:15 PM

LOL Ok then....the hell with kids...Go drop the front tire of your $50,000 truck in a 24x24 hole and then we'll see who's watch'n who

WayneChristie 12-07-2010 06:19 PM

forget it not worth a reply I bow to your infinite wisdom, might want to figure out your spellchecker tho.

npauls 12-07-2010 06:27 PM

Hey Wayne,

I am by no means trying to get a scrap started but I have seen 28+lbs pike landed in an 8" hole. Once you get the mouth facing up the hole you can grab under the gill plate the same way you landed your big one the other day. an 8" or 10" is plenty of room for monsters. I have no problem with guys drilling bigger holes I just thought I would chuck that out there.

I have seen most guys get twigs and tie a small piece of flagging tape around each piece and stick it in snow all the way around a hole bigger then 10" to mark it off and be in clear site for anyone driving or walking.

Nate

DANOMAN 12-07-2010 06:29 PM

In my opinion anyone who drives a $50,000 truck on the ice needs his head examined and should bury his head in one of those 24 x 24 hole till he turn blue from hypothermia. Ice fishing is about making holes in the ice so if you take rug rats on the ice they should be supervised at all times but some people shouldn't have kids because they don't know how to look after them!!:fighting0030:

huntsfurfish 12-07-2010 06:30 PM

"I raised my kids quite fine thank you. Maybe youve never seen anyone catch anything bigger than a little perch or trout. do you go bear hunting with a slingshot? Guess its alright to drag a fish thru a little hole and cause it all sorts of damage, maybe if you are going to eat it fine, but I like to let my fish live to get bigger. I fish almost exclusively in remote areas with no other people, if Im in an area with small kids I wouldnt be fishing for pike anyways.
You stick to your little hole and have fun. Dont tell me what to do when Im fishing, its legal, its fun, and Im not going to lose another fish thats too big to fit thru a 9 inch hole (not "whole) . And yes they are around. As for turning kids off the outdoors, if you dont want them to experience life with all its scrapes and bruises Id suggest you duct tape your kids to the wall, or buy a big plastic bubble. "

That says it all folks.

People can justify just about anything.

WayneChristie 12-07-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 757332)
Hey Wayne,

I am by no means trying to get a scrap started but I have seen 28+lbs pike landed in an 8" hole. Once you get the mouth facing up the hole you can grab under the gill plate the same way you landed your big one the other day. an 8" or 10" is plenty of room for monsters. I have no problem with guys drilling bigger holes I just thought I would chuck that out there.

I have seen most guys get twigs and tie a small piece of flagging tape around each piece and stick it in snow all the way around a hole bigger then 10" to mark it off and be in clear site for anyone driving or walking.

Nate

Id be the last person to cut a huge hole, Id be more worried about me falling in than anyone. :) But Im quite willing to be the badguy , obviously these people know me more than I do. and if there are a bunch of little kids running around the ice its either a forum gathering or its a different lake than Im fishing.

WayneChristie 12-07-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 757338)

That says it all folks.

People can justify just about anything.

yup, glad you clarified that for me, especially since Id already deleted it in disgust. so how do you justify knowing everything about everyone and not being a politician? youve never met me, and anything you have ever had to say to me or about me has been negative. glad there are people like you on the forum to keep the rest of us sinners on the straight and narrow.

latenite 12-07-2010 06:43 PM

i wish i could catch a fish big enough the get stuck in a 8" hole!:rolleye2:

huntsfurfish 12-07-2010 06:57 PM

Actually Wayne I just commented to a mutual acquantance(sp) just last week that in person you are probably a nice guy. I guess time will tell.

However when you post as you have, it is hard to say anything positive!

Just call it as I see it is all.

CeeZee 12-07-2010 07:28 PM

I never had a problem with the big holes, just like to see them taken care of after the fisherman left.
I have no worries about a kid falling in a hole and getting wet or getting a bruise, i too think its good for kids to get experience, but its a little hard for them to get more experience when they are drown under the ice.(a kid could fall right in and disapear)

but i know this thread is totally going the wrong way, and definately some iggnorant responses about taking care of kids!

Have fun with what i started i guess, until it gets locked lol

pikester 12-07-2010 07:36 PM

Wow, what a volatile thread! I will start by saying I have 3 kids all 7 to 4yrs old & I take them on the ice about twice a year. I do have worries about them falling into holes or getting run over by some jackarse doing 80+ kms across the ice but having said that I am the parent & therefore ultimately responsible for the safety & well being of my kids. I generally go out of my way to fish a long ways from the hordes just for this reason; reduce the threat reduce the probability of harm.

I also drill double holes when I'm pike fishing because contrary to some of the more expert anglers here who can weasle a trophy pike out of a 8" hole, I am not in that group. Last winter I tried for 10 minutes to get a huge pike though a 10" hole & couldn't get her head turned up the hole & finally lost that one :cry: I always mark my bigger holes with sticks &/or piles of snow so unless someone is tearing across the lake at uneccessary speed or just not watching where they are driving their $50,000 truck they will not go through one of my holes!

pophouseman 12-07-2010 07:50 PM

one last thought

if you took your kids to the median on the QE2 would you expect everyone to drive 5mph.....................I'm just saying