Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Can you use trolling motor in a small lake with a gas motor sticking out of the water (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=221846)

Pikefisher1818 06-14-2014 10:55 PM

Can you use trolling motor in a small lake with a gas motor sticking out of the water

Does anyone know if you can use a boat with trolling motor if the gas motor is sticking out of the water.(small trout lake)

newguy 06-14-2014 11:05 PM

We fish a small lake down south that's stocked with trout... As long as you respect the speed and/or motor HP regs on your lake, it doesn't matter. I cruised the lake with my 4.3l inboard and the CO waved at me.

Pikefisher1818 06-14-2014 11:10 PM

K, thank you

harrydude 06-14-2014 11:18 PM

I would still call

EZM 06-14-2014 11:28 PM

Are you talking about a lake that prohibits gas engines?

I'd suggest that this is not the best place to get advice on this matter ..... considering I'd disagree with newguy on this one.

I know for a fact, in a federal park like Banff, having a gasoline engine (RUNNING OR NOT), on any lake other than Minnewanka, is strictly prohibited.

Call the CO's or F&W and save yourself some BIG issues.

brohymn2 06-14-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 2464347)

I'd suggest that this is not the best place to get advice on this matter ..... considering I'd disagree with newguy on this one.

I know for a fact, in a federal park like Banff, having a gasoline engine (RUNNING OR NOT), on any lake other than Minnewanka, is strictly prohibited.

ive heard (on AO) someone answer the same question by saying a CO said as long as the motor was out of the water it was good to go, that being said id still check with the co near where your going fishing

gramps73 06-15-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 2464347)

Agreed

#4fisherman 06-15-2014 08:57 AM

We were told in the past that we couldn't. Has to do with leakage from the motor and all. I'd suggest the safe answer would be No.

Lefty-Canuck 06-15-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #4fisherman (Post 2464509)
We were told in the past that we couldn't. Has to do with leakage from the motor and all. I'd suggest the safe answer would be No.

I would agree....

If you wanted to chance it, I would not have any fuel/fuel lines attached or in the boat, and I would bag up the leg of the motor with poly.

Due diligence can go a long way.

LC

verado eyes 06-15-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2464551)
I would agree....

If you wanted to chance it, I would not have any fuel/fuel lines attached or in the boat, and I would bag up the leg of the motor with poly.

Due diligence can go a long way.

LC

if your going through that much trouble just take it off, easy fix and no worries then

Lefty-Canuck 06-15-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verado eyes (Post 2464566)
if your going through that much trouble just take it off, easy fix and no worries then

Exactly! :)

LC

chriscosta 06-15-2014 11:10 AM

Firstly im guessing this boat ... must be a smallish boat so...take it off and leave it in the truck lol I tame mine on and off every time I use my boat ...and if your boat is too big then it shouldnt really be on a trout pond ...take it to carson for trout ...or get a smaller boat for these situations ... and I would not risk having it on my boat in a lake it wasnt allowed ...your word against theirs if you get in trouble ...I just dont thank its worth the issues..not to mention id bet my last dollar some body will phone and rat ya off...

bobalong 06-15-2014 11:38 AM

I have called the CO's before on this and was told as long as the prop is out of the water it is ok. This question has been asked on here for years, and it seems the answer depends on the CO you talk to.

I don't know why they would not just change the wording in the regulations to stipulate that gas motors can not be attached to the boat on lakes restricted for gas engines, if that is what the regulation is suppose to mean. That would eliminate the need for interpretation on this year after year.

I have sent emails to SRD on this before, and have never got a reply, I have sent them one again.

TrollGRG 06-15-2014 02:26 PM

If you are talking about a gas motor in a lake that restricts them then your best bet would be to talk to a local fish cop. GET HIS Name if he tells you it is alright to just lift it.

As for taking it off - sometimes it is not that easy. Mine is bolted to the transome and weighs a million pounds. If I was doing an extensive trip around the province and just wanted to stop in at a lake for an afternoon, it is not even a consideration.