Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hunting Property (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430688)

mackenzie280 04-14-2024 08:32 AM

Hunting Property

Just looking for some options, I have a 1/4 of land that has a decent amount of Elk, Moose, Deer , Bears , wolves and coyotes. I do have a bait and try to do what I can to help the animals through the winters.
Three years ago the neighbors rented their property to a couple who decided to get into sheep farming. Which is fine as it is fenced and is no concern to me.
My issue is the sheep farmers have two huge dogs, for flock protection I am told. I run trail cameras year round have have numerous pictures of these two dogs at my baits and chasing animals. When I asked the sheep farmer to keep his dogs on his own property he stated that he can't as they roam for protection. Needless to say the discussion turned heated very fast as I reminded him that the dogs on my property 1KM away from the his sheep are not protecting anything but harassing wildlife. The local F&W officers seem not interested in getting involved. I have no doubts that if I had dogs and they were chasing his sheep they would be shot, which is what I am considering doing.
Is this too harsh???

cowmanbob 04-14-2024 08:39 AM

Stray dogs harassing wildlife should be shot. I’d have another big whitetail hanging on the wall had I followed my own advice.

Grizzly Adams1 04-14-2024 08:43 AM

Sounds like neighbors of mine. The sound of gunfire has been heard regularly around here. :lol:

Rusty50 04-14-2024 08:48 AM

Shoot them. Only way the problem goes away.

Smoky buck 04-14-2024 08:50 AM

Sounds like you tried to talk to him and couldn’t reach a solution. Not going to get into that more because I was not there to hear both sides. Either way it sounds like he doesn’t want to control his dogs and you are not getting far there

Do your research on where you legally stand and talk to F&W more. After you have all the information where you legally stand talk to the dog owner again in a civil manner and his response when you can explain where you legally stand. If he doesn’t control his dogs after that do whatever you can do within your legal rights

Basically keep civil and stay within your legal rights to cover your butt

Smokinyotes 04-14-2024 08:53 AM

If I don’t know the dog it gets shot. If I know the owners they get one warning. I won’t tolerate having stray dogs around my cows. Shoot the buggers and don’t say a word.

fatboyz 04-14-2024 09:24 AM

Get a resident trapping license and let the owners know you have snares at your baits. I use power ram snares and had the same issue. Told the owners for their dogs protection they need to keep them on their own property. It’s a lot less controversial than if you shot the dogs.

-JR- 04-14-2024 09:40 AM

This reminds me when i was the only one given permission to hunt on a guys farm by Devon. He had a dogs so I asked him if his dogs ever go in the fields and chase the deer . He replied ,they never go out of the yard . He said their is a group of wild dogs in the area and you are more than welcome to shoot them on my land. Few weeks later a herd of deer come running across the field being chased by a dog . It was a long shot but i got him with my 7 mag . I heard a yelp as it went down . Then that tough bugger got up and ran away Few weeks later i am sitting back in the farmers house and I am petting his dog and as i touch his neck he gives a yelp . Farmer then said I think he got into a fight with a coyote in the yard . Lol ! I wish that dog never got up when i shot him because hunting his place really went down hill once he got that dog .

Grizzly Adams1 04-14-2024 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboyz (Post 4716356)
Get a resident trapping license and let the owners know you have snares at your baits. I use power ram snares and had the same issue. Told the owners for their dogs protection they need to keep them on their own property. It’s a lot less controversial than if you shot the dogs.

Problem with that being the entitled owner who doesn't get the message. SSS
I've had this kind of problem, when I informed the owner I would shoot the problem animal, after the 6 or 7 time he showed up, I was told, then go ahead and shoot him.

3blade 04-14-2024 11:24 AM

Nearly lost my leg to a free roaming dog, wife has scars on her head from a different one, had more hunts ruined than I can count. Zero hesitation to put em in the dirt

Bang flop, bang flop, no words. “Did you see my dog?” Nope

Grizzly Adams1 04-14-2024 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3blade (Post 4716383)
Nearly lost my leg to a free roaming dog, wife has scars on her head from a different one, had more hunts ruined than I can count. Zero hesitation to put em in the dirt

Bang flop, bang flop, no words. “Did you see my dog?” Nope

A couple of dogs in Edmonton that would have benefitted from that treatment.

stob 04-14-2024 11:52 AM

Shoot..shut up ..shovel

KGB 04-14-2024 01:03 PM

As a dog lover, it hurts me to read this but I can understand your frustration with the current issue….
Can you use the rubber (bullets/slugs) to scare the dogs away from your property? After all, even coyotes get a tennis ball treatment in the city….:sHa_sarcasticlol:

byronick87 04-14-2024 01:30 PM

say the word; I'll come over and "coyote" hunt

Demonical 04-14-2024 02:17 PM

Shoot them. I wouldn't even have talked to the dog owner.

58thecat 04-14-2024 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stob (Post 4716390)
Shoot..shut up ..shovel

And don’t put this on social media too

You know the drill, talk to owners, nothing happens, talk to those that enforce the law, nothing happens, well now you take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle Rat 04-14-2024 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 4716407)
As a dog lover, it hurts me to read this but I can understand your frustration with the current issue….
Can you use the rubber (bullets/slugs) to scare the dogs away from your property? After all, even coyotes get a tennis ball treatment in the city….:sHa_sarcasticlol:

That would work about as good as throwing a tennis ball at a coyote.
You don't kick or beat a dog to train it would be no different hitting them with rubber bullets.
Also I'm sure the land owner doesn't have time to sit on the property line 24/7 guarding it.

Grizzly Adams1 04-14-2024 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 4716407)

Reminds me of the story of a cattlemens gathering where it was proposed to sterilize coyote that were eating into the profits. One old guy finally piped up. I don't want to ruin your plan, but they're eating our calves, not having sex with them. Actually the story was much more concise, but I don't want to get banned. :lol:

elkhunter11 04-14-2024 05:30 PM

Do you have access to a backhoe?

Pathfinder76 04-14-2024 05:46 PM

Grew up on a ranch. My grandfather had no use for wandering dogs. I remember him saying more than once: “cut that dogs tail off right behind his ears”.

Pathfinder76 04-14-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 (Post 4716430)
Reminds me of the story of a cattlemens gathering where it was proposed to sterilize coyote that were eating into the profits. One old guy finally piped up. I don't want to ruin your plan, but they're eating our calves, not having sex with them. Actually the story was much more concise, but I don't want to get banned. :lol:

I’ve heard that story applied to so many things that I think it’s a bit of a legend. Or lie. Whichever you prefer.

Pathfinder76 04-14-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4716448)
Do you have access to a backhoe?

How big of a dog is this?

elkhunter11 04-14-2024 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 (Post 4716453)
How big of a dog is this?

If you don't want things found, bury them deep.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dean2 04-14-2024 06:03 PM

Like Tuco said in the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; when it is time to shoot, shoot, don't be talking about it. My add: Don't talk about it after, either.

Savage Bacon 04-14-2024 06:20 PM

You did your part. That's all you can do. You tried to resolve the issue to no avail. If the dogs are on your property causing trouble, they need to be dealt with. It's too bad he acted like that.

If it were me, I'd give him the same chance you did, and tomorrow he'd be missing his dogs. I'm a dog guy, but wondering dogs are trouble.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Irina 04-14-2024 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4716455)
If you don't want things found, bury them deep.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Or eat it.

pikeslayer22 04-15-2024 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackenzie280 (Post 4716345)
Just looking for some options, I have a 1/4 of land that has a decent amount of Elk, Moose, Deer , Bears , wolves and coyotes. I do have a bait and try to do what I can to help the animals through the winters.
Three years ago the neighbors rented their property to a couple who decided to get into sheep farming. Which is fine as it is fenced and is no concern to me.
My issue is the sheep farmers have two huge dogs, for flock protection I am told. I run trail cameras year round have have numerous pictures of these two dogs at my baits and chasing animals. When I asked the sheep farmer to keep his dogs on his own property he stated that he can't as they roam for protection. Needless to say the discussion turned heated very fast as I reminded him that the dogs on my property 1KM away from the his sheep are not protecting anything but harassing wildlife. The local F&W officers seem not interested in getting involved. I have no doubts that if I had dogs and they were chasing his sheep they would be shot, which is what I am considering doing.
Is this too harsh???

Illegal to Bait in Alberta.

DirtShooter 04-15-2024 09:59 AM

Mad that the neighbors dogs are chasing the crown's ungulates that you're baiting for the next hunting season.

Perhaps bait the bears and wolves and they will take care of the dogs for you.

Pekan 04-15-2024 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackenzie280 (Post 4716345)
Is this too harsh???

They roam for protection?.......That's no bueno.

The guy keeps sheep in an area with wolves? Once you take care of his dogs, the wolves will take care of his bank account!

H380 04-15-2024 10:16 AM

To the OP, it's OK to feed big game if to help big game thru the winter ...bait not the best choice of words in that regard ...bait for coyotes,wolves and bears is legal in most locations ..
Guard dogs off their own property are at risk and I wouldn't put up with that ...at all .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk