Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wow, I'm really out of touch... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=151769)

tonycanevaro 10-09-2012 02:01 PM

Wow, I'm really out of touch...

So apparently you can't buy aluminum arrows anymore....

I'm planning on getting back into archery this xmas. Ho, Ho, Ho!
Will be shooting either a recurve or a longbow. In the past when I did this I always shot aluminum arrows.
I also hate having to glue heads on wood arrows as I like to change tips between field tips, judo's and broadheads.

Really concerned about shooting light weight knitting needle arrows from the traditional gear. It has to either be speed or arrow weight that makes the penetration. Traditional gear is slower so I would assume you would want heavier arrows.

Am I missing something here?

Honker1 10-09-2012 02:06 PM

"MOST" shops should be able to order what ever Aluminum shaft you want Easton still making them and if they are to lazy or can't be bothered to order them try somebody else!

tonycanevaro 10-09-2012 02:08 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon. Was at WSSL when I got that answer. Just checked BPS and they have/can get them. Now to see if I can get them with fletching instead of vanes.

I really like the price point vs even wood arrows!

calgarychef 10-09-2012 02:13 PM

Alominum arrows

I think 3 rivers still sells a few aluminums. You can always use carbons with weight tubes but us traditional hunters usually go with up front weight. You add the weight with brass inserts and even use heavy heads if you want more weight.

Here's my recipe for an average 50 lb Bow cut 1/8 from centre
250 heritage express arrow (or 500 spine other carbon arrow)
50 grain brass insert
250 grain screw in broadhead

That will kill anything you want, you'll have to tweak the arrow length or thickness if the side plate padding. Go to O.l. Adcocks site and learn about arrow tuning using the bareshaft method.

Welcome back to bowhunting! Take a look at the Alberta traditional bow hunters website, we have lots of cool members for you to get to know.

littlered 10-11-2012 06:39 AM

A buddy of mine still shoots aluminum's. He gets them from Jim Bows in Calgary. I believe that he had to order them, but they are available.

Knotter 10-11-2012 09:52 AM

Aluminum is still available.

You can even get them with graphics on them that make them look traditional. you may have to order. There are some good spine calculators out there to get the spine right. the one on 3 rivers archery is my preferred one.

You are correct in going for a heavier arrow. There is some good reading out there about extreme front of center arrow setups for penetration. Google Dr Ashby's reports.

An added benefit of a heavier arrow is a quiet bow. more energy transferred to the arrow and less retained in the limbs resulting in vibration.

happy shooting.

Knotter 10-12-2012 08:41 AM

don't overlook some of the less expensive carbons though. They are nice to shoot and don't get bent as easily.