Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grizzly Relocated to Kakwa (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=326637)

bronze 08-02-2017 06:40 PM

Grizzly Relocated to Kakwa

Just a little heads up to people who travel in the bush south of GP.
First time with a link hope it works.

https://www.canmorecommons.com/new-b...eral-incidents

st99 08-03-2017 07:12 AM

just like if we didn't have enough trouble makers around here

Camdec 08-04-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st99 (Post 3596419)
just like if we didn't have enough trouble makers around here

Lol. That made me laugh.

Grizzly Adams 08-04-2017 11:27 PM

Gotta wonder how long before she makes it back to her old haunts ? Betting weeks.

Grizz

Big Grey Wolf 08-05-2017 08:50 AM

Kakwa over run with grizz now, does not make any sense to add to the problem. Why do they not move them to Swanhills as they are trying to rebuild the grizz in that area.

Grizzly Adams 08-05-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3597528)
Kakwa over run with grizz now, does not make any sense to add to the problem. Why do they not move them to Swanhills as they are trying to rebuild the grizz in that area.

Think they are desperately trying not to do the obvious and terminate the old gal with extreme prejudice. Popular fixture around Banff and the outcry by the "environmental" crowd would be deafening. Had one of their poor abused bears wander to Sundre, where it met it's demise. Very big deal in Banff and Canmore.

Grizz

jawa 08-05-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3597528)

lots of griz in that area already plus too many towns, campsites, gasplants, people working, etc all within a couple days walking for a bear. If you want a problem bear to have any chance of recovery have to remove it as far from people as possible. It was tried in the seventies didnt work then cant see it working now

Grizzly Adams 08-05-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawa (Post 3597738)
lots of griz in that area already plus too many towns, campsites, gasplants, people working, etc all within a couple days walking for a bear. If you want a problem bear to have any chance of recovery have to remove it as far from people as possible. It was tried in the seventies didnt work then cant see it working now

So, I guess the question is, couldn't someone hold Parks Canada liable for any injuries or death caused by mama bear ? A bear, well known to be dangerous, relocated where it may encounter people, unfamiliar with it's past.

Grizz

skidderman 08-05-2017 09:11 PM

My bet is that it will become a problem again. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

Oldan Grumpi 08-07-2017 11:52 AM

...and to think they used to haul them from the Kakwa up into the Chinchaga...

Torkdiesel 08-07-2017 02:41 PM

I don't know why they don't haul them into BC. Bring all those problem bears up to my area and they'll either learn to live on their own, or end up as a rug on somebody's floor ;)

kingrat 08-08-2017 08:45 AM

Ya i can see the headline now tork... Rich american hunter murders cecil the lions 4th cousin Sally the endangered grizzly.

Torkdiesel 08-08-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 3599041)
Ya i can see the headline now tork... Rich american hunter murders cecil the lions 4th cousin Sally the endangered grizzly.

lmfao !!!!

Big Grey Wolf 08-08-2017 09:23 AM

I like Torks solution for problem grizz. Simple, low cost and effective! Probably is a BC grizz anyway, never met a bear that had a gps and marked provincial borders.

RavYak 08-08-2017 03:05 PM

I guess I see this differently then most.

If there was a bear I would want to run into this would be the one. A well documented history of fake charges within feet and no actual attacks yet. I pray that is what happens when I have my first grizzly encounter in the wild and I am not even religious lol.

st99 08-08-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 3599322)
I guess I see this differently then most.

If there was a bear I would want to run into this would be the one. A well documented history of fake charges within feet and no actual attacks yet. I pray that is what happens when I have my first grizzly encounter in the wild and I am not even religious lol.

I think the opposite. I have 10+ grizzly encounter per year, 16 so far for 2017, and they always run away when they see, hear or smell me. But miss 148 is used to people, therefore more willing to come close and take a chance.

What will probably happen is, she will get too close to some hunters, they will shoot her, and hunters will take a bad rap. It will be all over the news, and they will ignore f&w poor decision.

All it took for the official to change the policy was 5000 signatures in a petition. Last I checked, 5000 is no where near the majority of citizen of this province.

farmerbrown 08-08-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3599072)
I like Torks solution for problem grizz. Simple, low cost and effective! Probably is a BC grizz anyway, never met a bear that had a gps and marked provincial borders.

Looks like that BC area needs some planted grizzly's. Good place for relocation.

Torkdiesel 08-13-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerbrown (Post 3599468)
Looks like that BC area needs some planted grizzly's. Good place for relocation.

I'll take them in either of my areas. I have plenty already but a few more won't hurt anything. I've got plenty of quota for them.

209x50 08-14-2017 04:16 PM

Not anymore - BC just closed G bear hunting!

kw12 08-14-2017 04:29 PM

Yup just seen that. Nov 2017 no more.

farmerbrown 08-14-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3602547)
I'll take them in either of my areas. I have plenty already but a few more won't hurt anything. I've got plenty of quota for them.

Not anymore I guess. Looks like you will be taking a chit-kicking in area value and revenue. Is their going to be any compensation by the Greenies? I would imagine the BC Outfitters Assoc. will spring into action shortly.

Not nice but really no big suprise from the governing Party.

Torkdiesel 08-16-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 209x50 (Post 3603013)
Not anymore - BC just closed G bear hunting!

Yep. Very exciting times. We'll still kill them when we have to if the meat kept/ no hide rule comes into play. Just skin them and throw the hide on the ground I guess. It's a shame but I'm still going to take care of problem bears here.

Until they ban it outright anyway

Torkdiesel 08-16-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerbrown (Post 3603051)
Not anymore I guess. Looks like you will be taking a chit-kicking in area value and revenue. Is their going to be any compensation by the Greenies? I would imagine the BC Outfitters Assoc. will spring into action shortly.

Not nice but really no big suprise from the governing Party.

Yep. Areas aren't worth much anymore. That lost 1-2% of the revenue stream from grizzly hunts is going to knock values right into the toilet.
Not sure how I'll make ends meet now.

Compensation is not likely

farmerbrown 08-16-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3604122)
Yep. Areas aren't worth much anymore. That lost 1-2% of the revenue stream from grizzly hunts is going to knock values right into the toilet.
Not sure how I'll make ends meet now.

Compensation is not likely

Interesting math. I guess there won't be any push back from the outfitters if that's all the impact it generates.

Torkdiesel 08-16-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerbrown (Post 3604200)
Interesting math. I guess there won't be any push back from the outfitters if that's all the impact it generates.

Some it will for sure. Some guys on the coast it will greatly effect. I'm in the moose and caribou game, but then again you already knew that martin.

Got to run, big auction today on used vehicles!!!

nube 08-16-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3604358)
Some it will for sure. Some guys on the coast it will greatly effect. I'm in the moose and caribou game, but then again you already knew that martin.

haha you had him pegged right out of the start like I did. Figured it wouldn't take long for him to come back.

farmerbrown 08-16-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3604358)

Say in the last four or five years if someone just valued Grizz allocations per bear what would they be worth? I know there is a limitation on so many in so many years but I would think they would be worth a fair bit.

I'm suprised there would not be some kind of compensation. More tags of other species or?

farmerbrown 08-16-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3604427)
haha you had him pegged right out of the start like I did. Figured it wouldn't take long for him to come back.

Pardon?

Grizzly Adams 08-16-2017 05:49 PM

I keep waiting for the bears obituary to appear. It's coming, just a matter of time.

Grizz

7mmremmag 08-16-2017 09:49 PM

First off Jeff, Im totally on your side. I think this is BS and an absolutely sustainable hunt.
But I think your numbers of 1-2% of revenue are way off.
Even if you ran a good area and hunted one grizz a year at say 18K a hunt youd need to gross well over 1.8 million a year to only lose 1-2% revenue.
Thats ludacris.
If you can confirm those numbers to be true tell Harry McCowan to look out, ill be putting an offer in on everything he has listed.