Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   starter mink (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=22832)

25-06rem.model700 11-18-2008 09:32 PM

starter mink

i seen a few mink tracks crossing the road on the creek by my house and thought hell lets try to trap the guy i have a victor longspring 1 1/2 and probley could get some small conibers from the neighbor any advice or pictures of sets would be great.

calgarychef 11-18-2008 11:04 PM

mink

You mean you SAW mink tracks not you SEEN mink tracks. You sound like you're from Sask. :evilgrin:

Just yanking yer chain

The chef

bull9898 11-25-2008 08:14 AM

Cubby set for mink

Get a 120 conibear and make a little cubby with a roof on the ground like a shed make sure the front of the opening will fit the 120 tighty so the mink can't get around it i use muskrat or beaver for bait fish will also work this set works for me on the lake shores on my trapline its all we use for mink.

p.s. Make your little cubby out of natural materials from around the area.

tth_12032 11-27-2008 11:17 AM

25-06 Rem - if you have taken the trappers course wouldn't they have told you all this? If you haven't then what are you trying to do trapping a mink?? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this ILLEGAL (and a little unethical if you don't know what you are doing)!?!

new albertan 11-27-2008 10:19 PM

First im not 100 percent sure but i dont think the trapper course does a step by step on each animal.Individuals are left with basic to add to. Second yes it looks to me from the trapping regs that mink season is open in each zone in the province. Third what is up with the word unethical? Where do you get unethical from? Your ethics? Dont like trapping?Stay off the trapping forum then.

sourdough doug 11-28-2008 11:22 PM

I believe it is at the Mods discretion who is on or off the trapping forum. So lets not turn this forum into what some other ones have become.

Da Jimmer 11-29-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new albertan (Post 219935)
First im not 100 percent sure but i dont think the trapper course does a step by step on each animal.Individuals are left with basic to add to. Second yes it looks to me from the trapping regs that mink season is open in each zone in the province. Third what is up with the word unethical? Where do you get unethical from? Your ethics? Dont like trapping?Stay off the trapping forum then.

-To complete the trappers course, I believe you must know tracks, habitats, food preferences, etc for all 18 fur bearing species.

If you do have your trappers liscence, go to Alberta Trappers Association.com, I believe they have a page of different trap setups for different animals. Good luck.

tth_12032 12-02-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new albertan (Post 219935)

Sorry if my first post came off a little rough. But it seems that 25-06 doesn't have a trappers license though and the reason the province requires this is to make sure trappers know the ins & outs of the business so animals are trapped humanely and effectively. Perhaps 25-06 has challenged the exam or taken a course that I am unaware of in the past 3 weeks and passed, if so congrats. But as far as I can see, unlike coyotes and wolves, you need a trapping license to go after mink. Mink trapping is covered in the course.