Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Trout Creek (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=224089)

kissarmygeneral 07-10-2014 02:25 PM

Trout Creek

Hi all,

I was driving out to the Crowsnest a couple weeks ago and I took the Claresholm route over to the Cowboy Trail, instead of the usual Nanton route. I crossed over a really tasty looking bit of water called "Trout Creek" and I cant find any information on the creek but I'd be interested in how it fishes. Anyone?

pikergolf 07-10-2014 02:59 PM

Best way to find out, is to go and try it.

Full Curl Earl 07-10-2014 06:42 PM

Huh

Real helpful info there eh!

Jayhad 07-10-2014 06:47 PM

I've never fished trout creek but I have sat on it's banks for sometime observing. I have never found anything worth throwing at, but if you go let me know how it fishes. I am speculating but I think the ag land around the area ruined the creek, I say ruined because you don't name a creek Trout Creek if there are no trout in it..... perhaps further upstream in the mountains?

pikergolf 07-10-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 2487241)

It's the best advice he'll get.

Taco 07-10-2014 10:30 PM

Trout Ck is way too sensitive to drought conditions to be a constantly good trout stream along it's entire length. If you time it right, know were to go and who to ask it can be pretty decent small stream fishin'.

IMO it has never yet fully recovered from being dry over much it's length during the 80's drought.

kissarmygeneral 07-11-2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 2487241)

No kidding.

kissarmygeneral 07-11-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco (Post 2487435)
Trout Ck is way too sensitive to drought conditions to be a constantly good trout stream along it's entire length. If you time it right, know were to go and who to ask it can be pretty decent small stream fishin'.

IMO it has never yet fully recovered from being dry over much it's length during the 80's drought.

Thanks for the reply.

smitty9 07-11-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 2487299)

Apparently, you were wrong. See Taco's reply.

Smitty

Moefoe 07-11-2014 09:04 AM

Yeah it does dry up from time to time. There's a dug-out controlled canal that runs for 2km or so from trout creek that in turn during run off feeds a guys trophy trout pond down there...in 2011 his gate from the pond to the canal malfunctioned and about 200 fat slobs headed into the canal, fair game! Myself and a buddy spent the better part of 3 weeks down there catching 10lbs Rainbows in a canal no more than 5' across...even returned a few to the pond if we were close enough. As for the creek itself never saw much happening in there!

pikergolf 07-11-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty9 (Post 2487581)
Apparently, you were wrong. See Taco's reply.

Smitty

No not wrong. Going and checking it out yourself can lead to all sorts of great things and is very satisfying. :)

Taco 07-11-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moefoe (Post 2487623)
Yeah it does dry up from time to time. There's a dug-out controlled canal that runs for 2km or so from trout creek that in turn during run off feeds a guys trophy trout pond down there...in 2011 his gate from the pond to the canal malfunctioned and about 200 fat slobs headed into the canal, fair game! Myself and a buddy spent the better part of 3 weeks down there catching 10lbs Rainbows in a canal no more than 5' across...even returned a few to the pond if we were close enough. As for the creek itself never saw much happening in there!

That would be Lyndon Ck and the 44 ranch. The high water of '05 took out a dam on the SN and dumped a bunch big rainbows into Trout as well.

kissarmygeneral 07-11-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moefoe (Post 2487623)

Where do they end up? Highwood?

smitty9 07-11-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 2487709)
No not wrong. Going and checking it out yourself can lead to all sorts of great things and is very satisfying. :)

And my reply to that is found in this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=224010

Seems like everyone's has the same trite, cliched advice to "just go do it", "just go explore!". My response is:

"Well...duh!" :)

That ship has sailed already, don't the "just do it crowd" realize that! He doesn't need encouragement to explore, he just wanted some simple advice.

There is a reason he asked for specific advice about a specific piece of water.

So no, it was most decidedly not the best advice he could get. There's no need to state the obvious.

And there's a reason he's looking for info on the 'net.

Still shaking my head and chuckling at all the wise words on these forums along the lines of "go forth young man and....yadda".

Smitty

Taco 07-11-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissarmygeneral (Post 2487879)
Where do they end up? Highwood?

Lyndon>>Trout>>Willow>>Old Man

pikergolf 07-11-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty9 (Post 2488003)
And my reply to that is found in this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=224010

Seems like everyone's has the same trite, cliched advice to "just go do it", "just go explore!". My response is:

"Well...duh!" :)

That ship has sailed already, don't the "just do it crowd" realize that! He doesn't need encouragement to explore, he just wanted some simple advice.

There is a reason he asked for specific advice about a specific piece of water.

So no, it was most decidedly not the best advice he could get. There's no need to state the obvious.

And there's a reason he's looking for info on the 'net.

Still shaking my head and chuckling at all the wise words on these forums along the lines of "go forth young man and....yadda".

Smitty

Just do it. :)

Calgaryguy1977 07-11-2014 11:19 PM

Someone told me it just contains pike, ironically. Seems like an odd name for a stream with only pike in it eh? lol

slivers86 07-14-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 2487299)

x2 - you never know until you explore! I have often wondered about the same creek however... it may just get a try this week!

slivers86 07-14-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 (Post 2488412)
Someone told me it just contains pike, ironically. Seems like an odd name for a stream with only pike in it eh? lol

I think the dynamics of a lot of the streams in the area dynamically changed when they developed the prairie reservoir systems...

Different geography, but look at the town of Salmo BC... used to have an amazing salmon run, dams went up, and they had to change the name of the town because Salmon just never showed up anymore.

Steven Noel 07-15-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slivers86 (Post 2490925)
I think the dynamics of a lot of the streams in the area dynamically changed when they developed the prairie reservoir systems...

Different geography, but look at the town of Salmo BC... used to have an amazing salmon run, dams went up, and they had to change the name of the town because Salmon just never showed up anymore.

x2

Another good example (closer to my place) would be the Sturgeon River. I would be very surprised to see a Sturgeon anywhere in that river other than at its very mouth.

spinN'flyfish 07-15-2014 10:45 AM

EXCEPT FISH CREEK, there are SOME fishes there

Chief16 07-15-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 2487084)
Best way to find out, is to go and try it.

He can't find any info on it so who's to say that it isn't closed to fishing and by asking on here someone could inform him of that? There's more to asking than just spots on a river or how well it fishes you know

spinN'flyfish 07-26-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slivers86 (Post 2490925)

Not to bring it up but i know another place: Goldeye Lake and guess what.... only rainbows and no GOLDEYE. LOL

AlbertaCutthroat 07-27-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Noel (Post 2491107)
x2

Another good example (closer to my place) would be the Sturgeon River. I would be very surprised to see a Sturgeon anywhere in that river other than at its very mouth.

Though that may be more related to a family with the last name "sturgeon" that homesteaded the area. There are tales of lake sturgeon in there but looking at the habitat one really has to wonder if it ever happened (aside from at the mouth). Prety small river mist of the year.

tjcartmell 07-27-2014 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fished a section in the forestry reserve in the first week of July. I caught a nice cutty and a decent rainbow in a pool. I found some really nice looking pocket water but did not see any fish. It is a very pretty stream.

Tim

Pudelpointer 07-28-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcartmell (Post 2502673)
I fished a section in the forestry reserve in the first week of July. I caught a nice cutty and a decent rainbow in a pool. I found some really nice looking pocket water but did not see any fish. It is a very pretty stream.

Tim

I don't think that is the same stream.... Is that west of Claresholm?

huntsfurfish 07-28-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 2487709)

Agree.

Steven Noel 07-28-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat (Post 2502649)

Though that may be more related to a family with the last name "sturgeon" that homesteaded the area. There are tales of lake sturgeon in there but looking at the habitat one really has to wonder if it ever happened (aside from at the mouth). Prety small river mist of the year.

It is my understanding that a substantial amount of the stream flow is diverted for agricultural irrigation. Perhaps at its historic levels it was large enough to support the fish?

Fishtech1986 07-29-2014 03:41 PM

https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/FWIMT_Pu...ewer=FWIMT_Pub

Use this for these questions!

Trout Creek - Burbot, Cutbows, Cutthroat, Lake chub, longnose sucker, longnose dace, mountain sucker, rainbow trout, trout-perch, white sucker.

Not sure about sizes, lots of fish data though. Go check it out and post results!

-AC

Taco 07-29-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishtech1986 (Post 2505008)
https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/FWIMT_Pu...ewer=FWIMT_Pub

Use this for these questions!

Trout Creek - Burbot, Cutbows, Cutthroat, Lake chub, longnose sucker, longnose dace, mountain sucker, rainbow trout, trout-perch, white sucker.

Not sure about sizes, lots of fish data though. Go check it out and post results!

-AC

WHOA!! Cool Thanks!