Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Email - seems like a scam (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=408668)

colt45 02-16-2022 10:54 AM

Email - seems like a scam

1 Attachment(s)
Has anybody got a email like this, we never ordered anything like this?

Au revoir, Gopher 02-16-2022 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colt45 (Post 4488934)
Has anybody got a email like this, we never ordered anything like this?

They are phising. If you never ordered it, it won't show up on your credit card statement. You will note the language about the payment is very vague. Most companies will say "credit card ending in XXXX".

ARG

Dean2 02-16-2022 11:00 AM

It is most definitely a SCAM. Windows firewall etc is part of the operating system and there is no charges for it. DO NOT phone them to check on this. It is exactly what they are trying to get you to do.

Trochu 02-16-2022 11:01 AM

Almost certainly a scam.

One surefire check is looking at who the e-mail came from. Whenever I get scam e-mail, it's typically saying I've got a fee on my CC or something, and is the e-mail from @americanexpress.com, @visa.com or @mastercard.com, my bank, etc., no, it's usually something like evan@ dnt-gw-rus-savitar2.dnttm.com, pretty sure that's not legit.

Grizzly Adams1 02-16-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4488943)
Almost certainly a scam.

One surefire check is looking at who the e-mail came from. Whenever I get scam e-mail, it's typically saying I've got a fee on my CC or something, and is the e-mail from @americanexpress.com, @visa.com or @mastercard.com, my bank, etc., no, it's usually something like evan@ dnt-gw-rus-savitar2.dnttm.com, pretty sure that's not legit.

Got one of those on my cell phone the other day, no identity given, just unauthorized gift card purchases apparently made on your account, punch 1.

Grizz

colt45 02-16-2022 11:12 AM

Thanks ,
I figured it was a scam so didn’t do anything
It came to my email but was in wife’s name seemed very odd
Don’t know how these things happen
But just going to delete now

EZM 02-16-2022 02:10 PM

100% scam

They will try and get you to give them your credit card info (or bank card info) to give you a "refund" but instead they take that info and steal your money ..... or sell your credit card info to another dirt bag that "lays low" and sometime in the future you see some charges that you didn't make.

Delete it.

Scam.

Bearski 02-16-2022 02:30 PM

All the time

I get them. Don't just trash it, move it to junk mail file.

colt45 02-16-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearski (Post 4489043)
I get them. Don't just trash it, move it to junk mail file.

It actually came in the junk mail file
But I deleted it now

nimrod 02-16-2022 06:00 PM

I also get these emails, good thing my computer is a I mac, does not use what they want to push to me, trash trash, I always check the email with my mouse hold it over the email before opening

EZM 02-16-2022 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrod (Post 4489124)
I also get these emails, good thing my computer is a I mac, does not use what they want to push to me, trash trash, I always check the email with my mouse hold it over the email before opening

The email itself is already in your inbox - hovering your mouse, as far as I know does nothing.

It's when you click or open the exe file or attachment or link is when you get infected

nimrod 02-16-2022 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No not true, all I do is pass my mouse over the email, then I see who is sending me what

Attachment 178141

I do not need to open up whatever email

Also still in my junk mail

TBark 02-16-2022 09:23 PM

It’s likely one of those auto charge phone line scams.
Doesn’t look like a scam fishing for Ccard info.
They won’t make much, maybe $2 per call but they send out millions of them.

TBark