Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lead sled? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=361272)

trigger7mm 03-23-2019 03:50 PM

Lead sled?

I’ve heard that using a lead sled can be hard on your rifle stock. Has anybody ever had any issues with this? Thanks for the replies.

Dmay 03-23-2019 04:44 PM

Can't find the link or fellas name just now, but few years back was a guy who fired the first shot out of his (forget the cartridge too) Merkel double rifle. $12,000.00 Merkel double. Broke the stock. He don't like lead sleds much.

elkhunter11 03-23-2019 04:53 PM

I have witnessed two stocks cracking when used in a lead sled, both were in 338win.

Deer Hunter 03-23-2019 05:03 PM

If you really weigh them down you are asking for a cracked stock. Empty or with a reasonable amount of weight, they work well

Flight01 03-23-2019 05:16 PM

Lead sled

I use mine after bore sighting a rifle/scope set up
Sometimes I’ll take it for the first few shots ahead of big game season.
I use it as a rest not so much a big recoil reducer
My 338 is still fairly free to move back as I don’t weigh it right down.
It’s ok to have around.
After I’m confident in the load and that the scope is dialed in, I will then switch to shooting sticks and off hand as that is how I will be most likely hunting. Not many benches where I hunt:)
Although I should go back and take a picture of the stump in shot my elk off of. Damn near level and allowed a clean 325yard shot.

Norwest Alta 03-23-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flight01 (Post 3951412)
I use mine after bore sighting a rifle/scope set up
Sometimes I’ll take it for the first few shots ahead of big game season.
I use it as a rest not so much a big recoil reducer
My 338 is still fairly free to move back as I don’t weigh it right down.
It’s ok to have around.
After I’m confident in the load and that the scope is dialed in, I will then switch to shooting sticks and off hand as that is how I will be most likely hunting. Not many benches where I hunt:)
Although I should go back and take a picture of the stump in shot my elk off of. Damn near level and allowed a clean 325yard shot.

Pretty much what I use mine for to. Never had a problem using it for my 375 hh on down to my rìmfires.

gtr 03-24-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 3951359)
I’ve heard that using a lead sled can be hard on your rifle stock. Has anybody ever had any issues with this? Thanks for the replies.

Like any tool, if used properly with a dash of common sense, they work well.
I have used them with a 22 up to 325 wsm with no issues. As usual operator error is always possible.

elkhunter11 03-24-2019 09:43 AM

Caldwell specifies two 25lb weights, for a total of 50 lbs, which is what was being used in the instances that I witnessed. So using a lead sled according to the manufacturers recommendations, can cause damage. I see that as manufacturers error, not operator error.

Dick284 03-24-2019 09:46 AM

I’ve tried a few Led Sleds that guys had at the range.
I detested every time I did.
You can’t get mounted on the rifle properly, and I’ll guarantee you when it comes to getting off the bench, things ain’t gonna shoot to the same place.

Flight01 03-24-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 3951678)
I’ve tried a few Led Sleds that guys had at the range.
I detested every time I did.
You can’t get mounted on the rifle properly, and I’ll guarantee you when it comes to getting off the bench, things ain’t gonna shoot to the same place.

Correct. It won’t have same point of impact as it is shouldered differently

fordtruckin 03-25-2019 11:16 PM

I have a lead sled and use it for my 270wsm and 375h&h. Generally I don’t out much weight on it as I use it to hold steady. Sometimes I even just use the front rest and shoulder the rifle. No real rhyme or reason but I haven’t had any issues with cracked stocks or damaged rifles.

tikka250 03-26-2019 07:57 AM

We have a lead sled at the range for people to use with 25lb weight. I have seen 2 stocks cracked because of it and from everything I have seen and the little bit I have used it good groups and the lead sled don't go together.
A good front rest and a solid rear bag will beat a lead sled hands down everytime. If you have a massive magnum that you can't shoot without it then maybe you should consider changing your deer gun from 30-378 to a 308 or 30-06.

270 ELK 03-27-2019 10:37 AM

270 elk

i used a lead sled and cracked stock on 338 got a new stock modified lead sleds back end to hold a small sand bag to rest stock on and use shoulder no more problem now a good shooting rest for sighting in :bad_boys_:thinking-006:

Justfishin73 03-27-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3951673)
Caldwell specifies two 25lb weights, for a total of 50 lbs, which is what was being used in the instances that I witnessed. So using a lead sled according to the manufacturers recommendations, can cause damage. I see that as manufacturers error, not operator error.

Not sure why they would recommend 2 x 25 lbs. I used mine with one 25 lb weight, was more than enough for .270 and 30-06. Heavier calibers maybe? Sighted mine it perfectly--both synthetic stocks, and got my deer this last year at 320 yds--worked great--maybe wood stocks are the problem?

elkhunter11 03-27-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justfishin73 (Post 3953621)
Not sure why they would recommend 2 x 25 lbs. I used mine with one 25 lb weight, was more than enough for .270 and 30-06. Heavier calibers maybe? Sighted mine it perfectly--both synthetic stocks, and got my deer this last year at 320 yds--worked great--maybe wood stocks are the problem?

Wood stocks are definitely more likely to suffer cracks than plastic which flexes, especially if the recoil lug is not bedded. I have seen where the rifle shot to a different point of aim when heavy weights were used to restrict recoil, but it eoesn't happen in all instances.

1973 Moose 03-29-2019 05:48 AM

Lead sled

mines not a caldwell, mine use a 25 lbs dumbbell weight, I have used mine for years, I have to use it, due to my age and some shaking, never had an issue even with my 340WBY.