Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Quad security (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=346827)

Dam2406 06-21-2018 03:12 PM

Quad security

Does any one know of something that is simple to install, that will make most quads almost impossible to steal.

ChickakooKookoo 06-21-2018 03:17 PM

A boat anchor?

Problem with most quads is two guys can lift them so unless you've found a way to make it so it can't be manually moved, pretty tough to make them unstealable.

A good trick we use to at least slow people down is to use the winch to secure it to something unmovable. Tighten the winch up real good and unless they cut the winch cable, it's pretty hard to move it. I guess that really only works when you're camping though.

Trap Shy 06-21-2018 03:26 PM

At our cottage we used to chain our around a floor beam in the barn and lock it . I know they still could get it but might slow them down or send them to the neighbours place . lol

BUSHRVN 06-21-2018 03:40 PM

I had once built a device out of 3/4" plate that was bolted to the concrete floor in my garage in town. the bolts were plug welded to the base plate so they couldn't be removed without a cutting torch. a 3/4" plate came up from there with a half circle cut out of it that fit the quads rear axle perfectly and had another plate that was hinged that flipped over the axle from the other side and was pad locked to the main plate. the pad lock had a cover over it made from 1/2" plate so that they could not cut, hammer or pry on the lock. the cover when low enough to the floor that they would not be able to get a drill under it either to drill out the lock. I didn't keep a torch in the garage and if they were to zip cut it they would be there all night and need a whole box of zip cuts to get through the plate.
:fighting0030:

colroggal 06-21-2018 06:15 PM

Empty.gun boot bolted to the quad and a few empty beer cans laying on the ground beside it. Make me think twice if I was so inclined.

Colin

averagejoe 06-21-2018 07:01 PM

A ground anchor with a good chain and padlock.

You install the anchor by cementing it into place and thieves will need a grinder to cut off the chain. It takes a lot of time and makes a lot of noise which will throw off most thieves.

Big Grey Wolf 06-21-2018 07:53 PM

quad

Had my quad stolen about month ago, they pushed steel gate open on driveway. I think they just hooked up to quad and pulled it with chain/rope so they did not need to try start it by hot wire. Hard to believe what a couple fools will do to get some drug money.

Don_Parsons 06-21-2018 08:23 PM

The cayenne pepper bomb.

Just make sure you un-hook it when your going to use the quad. Ha.

If the bang doesn't scare them, dripping wet from head to toe will put tears in their eyes.

LKILR 06-22-2018 06:14 AM

Bee secure. It’s a device that you put on any of your assets. When it detects movement it sends real time GPS location to your cell phone. The device is about 2”x2”. I think you pay a small monthly monitoring fee.

Redneck 7 06-22-2018 06:52 AM

I’ve always thought the same thing considering mine and hers 700 Yamaha Kodiaks are able to be put in neutral withought a key and winched into any truck box or trailer. I’m guessing most new automatic quads, if not all, are like this. I just have a building I lock all the quads and lawn equipment in. Out of site out of mind I guess. I find that no matter how well you lock it up, if they want it, they got it.

Big Grey Wolf 06-22-2018 08:11 AM

My thoughts are a high quality logging chain with good quality lock and chained to another piece of equipment about only simple delay device.

Kim473 06-23-2018 06:28 AM

Really easy for thieves these days when cordless grinders are available.

Park a cop car in the drive way.

artie 06-23-2018 06:38 AM

it is some work but if not using the quad for awhile take the tires off of it and leave on jackstands.
I have also heard that when you carry your quad in the back of a truck thieves will park a truck next to yours and flip the quad upside down into their truck and take off. Nothing is safe any more.

Penner 06-23-2018 07:53 AM

As my father-in-law says "a lock will only keep an honest man out"...

James Henry 06-23-2018 11:40 AM

Colten Bousey found the best quad anti theft deterent

Battle Rat 06-23-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Henry (Post 3802594)
Colten Bousey found the best quad anti theft deterent

Guaranteed to not re-offend too.

jtestorini 06-23-2018 07:31 PM

A bit of a pain, but why not remove a tire and store it separately? It sitting on an angle certainly would discourage most.

2fast4uRuss 06-23-2018 10:22 PM

if your brake disc is accessible and you have cross drilled rotors you can put a padlock in through the holes or special locks like used on motorcycles. This would make it very difficult to move without dragging and would probably not be spotted in the dark or be accessible to bolt cutters.

Big Grey Wolf 06-25-2018 08:22 AM

quad

Koodo's to RCMP, they recovered my quad, have got a settlement from insurance company, not sure if I want my quad back now after 1 month of
fools tearing around with it.

ChickakooKookoo 06-25-2018 08:26 AM

Ask your insurance company if it's going to auction if you don't take it back. If it is, ask if you can have right of refusal on the auction. If they say yes, you can get paid from the insurance company for whatever it's worth and then when it goes to auction, whatever the winning bid is, you have to beat if by a dollar and you get your buyout and the quad.

My insurance company let me do this. The winning bid was a lot higher than I expected so I didn't buy the quad back but was nice to have the option.

Stinky Buffalo 06-25-2018 09:00 AM

I just put Polaris stickers on mine. :D

Seriously, though, glad to hear you got it back. Hope insurance treats you well.

Vandals and thieves... Got no use for them. Grr.

doorout 06-26-2018 03:19 AM

Put a sticker that says "Beware of Bomb". Steal at your own risk!!!!

pikeslayer22 06-26-2018 06:55 AM

Remove the Spark plug cap. Most thieves probably don’t even know where it is located

Big Grey Wolf 06-26-2018 09:19 AM

quad

sparkplug wire would not have worked on my stolen quad, believe they slammed my locked gate with another stolen quad then just pulled my quad with transmission in neutral.

Badgerbadger 06-26-2018 12:01 PM

Any idea where these stolen quads go?

A buddy just had his piece of crap 18 yr old, dead battery, bad fuel pump quad ripped off the other night. I have no idea why anyone would take it. Parts?

Alberta bull hunter 06-26-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badgerbadger (Post 3803673)
Any idea where these stolen quads go?

A buddy just had his piece of crap 18 yr old, dead battery, bad fuel pump quad ripped off the other night. I have no idea why anyone would take it. Parts?

Maybe just joy riding who knows. My Dad had his snowmobile and some other stuff stolen this winter. They caught the guy riding around in the middle of the night near calling lake with a jackall and tire iron strapped to the back. The guy hopped off the sled and ran into the bush, there was no pursuit but the cops figure they were using the machine to get around to more of the rural properties and commit more thefts.