Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Buying a 20 ga O/U for my wife ....Novice (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=324468)

Newellknik 06-28-2017 08:24 AM

Buying a 20 ga O/U for my wife ....Novice

Just wondering if anyone is shooting a cheaper
O/u 20 like a CZ Redhead or Mossberg Silver .
Or any other recommendations you like ....Thnx

Ranch11 06-28-2017 09:07 AM

Stevens 512 or 555 in 20 gauge

bobinthesky 06-28-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newellknik (Post 3573166)
Just wondering if anyone is shooting a cheaper
O/u 20 like a CZ Redhead or Mossberg Silver .
Or any other recommendations you like ....Thnx

I don't have first hand experience with either gun you mention but I'd recommend the CZ over the Mossberg based on reputation alone.

Buying a 20 gauge for the wife based on the assumption that it will recoil less is not always a great idea. Often, 20 gauge guns can recoil even more than 12 gauge guns depending on weight, fit, barrel configuration and the type of ammo being used. Back when I was shooting tens of thousands of rounds per year in competition and not particularly recoil sensitive, I purchased a very light weight 20 o/u for hunting and it kicked me so bad I couldn't stand to put one box of target rounds through it!
When I say barrel configuration I'm referring to bore diameter, forcing cone and choke length mostly. Weight is a big factor in recoil management and field guns are generally lighter than target guns. Many guns don't fit the shooter properly and I see people with bruised cheeks because of it. They only take that for so long before they give up shooting, fit is extremely important.
The best thing is to let her try some different types of guns and let her chose before making a decision and don't rule out 12 gauge guns either. My wife and many other women shoot 12 gauge guns all day long with no discomfort. Just don't hand her a box of 3 inch goose loads and expect her to like it right off the bat!
The main point here is that make is secondary to the above mentioned weight and fit.

elkhunter11 06-28-2017 09:36 AM

The original Silver had garbage firing pins that would fail after 500 to 1500 rounds. I also witnessed one double while shooting skeet. Two friends have CZ shotguns, and borh work well for hunting, but neither has seen a lot of rounds, so I can't comment on how they stand up to high volume shooting. The number one consideration should be finding a fun that fits her, which requires actually shouldering the guns and knowing how to recognize if the gun fits or not. While not an exact method of determining fit, closing her eyes and shouldering the gun without moving to see if she is looking along the rib, and not at it, will at least provide a good start. The ideal situation would be the rib centered left to right; and her looking along the rib seeing the front bead, and if the gun has two beads, there should not be a gap between them. If the gun does not fit the shooter, it will be much more difficult to hit moving targets. Recoil wise, a gas operated semi auto will have less felt recoil than an O/U of similar weight. A lightweight gun is nice to carry for hunting, but the recoil will beat up the shooter at skeet or trap. Yildiz is also a brand to consider if the gun fits, but they are lighter, with more felt recoil. A used Citori or Beretta can sometimes be found at affordable prices, especially older models with fixed chokes. For a hunting gun or the odd bit of informal clays, fixed chokes are not a huge handicap, but if she will be shooting trap and skeet on a regular basis, having the option of changing chokes is nice.

SamSteele 06-28-2017 10:07 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that 20 gauge loads a more limited in selection than the 12's. I ended up getting my son a 12 gauge and give him 2 3/4" low recoil trap rounds to shoot. He shoots it fine and didn't notice the full loads when we went duck hunting last fall.

I say look for fit and balance in a 12 and buy light loads. Probably cheaper and easier. Also, the Yildiz O/Us seem like good quality for the money. Prophet River in Lloyd carries them, and possibly others.

SS

catnthehat 06-28-2017 05:24 PM

I prefer a twenty or a 28 because of the lighter weight of the gun itself- if it is built on a scaled frame.
I shoot lighter loads in them as well because of nerve damage.
A heavy 12 with heavy 12 gauge loads and I am done inn about three shots, and even on the range thee gun is hard for me to shoot well after about a half round of trap or skeet, even with the semis.
I haven't seen many lighter loads available in factory these days for 20 gauge guns.

Cat

curtz 06-28-2017 06:04 PM

I have a have a cz redhead and my wife has a Mossberg silver reserve, both 20 ga and beautiful guns that we use for grouse hunting, you won't go wrong with either gun.

Kristopher10 06-28-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranch11 (Post 3573201)
Stevens 512 or 555 in 20 gauge

I was researching a 555 and found that there are many cases where they would start double firing. Almost scary how many cases I read about this.

Twobucks 06-28-2017 07:55 PM

I'm looking at a 20 for my wife as well but in a semi auto. Softer recoil and a bunch of reasonably priced options. Unlike a 28 it's still reasonable money to shoot for the non-reloader.

rugatika 06-28-2017 08:00 PM

If you're not in a hurry (you probably are if it's for your wife.. :) ) I would keep my eyes open for a used beretta or browning. I picked up a mint used 686 20g several years ago for $1500. Pretty close to what I paid for my CZ SXS Ringneck ($1000) in 20g as well. Never had any problems with either gun, but I've only used the CZ for grouse hunting, whereas I've used the beretta for hunting and sporting clays and has had many, many more rounds through it.

And as others have stated regarding recoil (if that's a consideration for her)...that beretta in 20g is a lightweight grouse gun with 26" barrels and the recoil is about the same as my browning cynergy 12g waterfowl gun when shooting sporting clays.

elkhunter11 06-28-2017 08:07 PM

It would be a good idea if the OP stated the intended use of the gun. A gun suitable for hunting , may be a poor choice for trap or skeet, and vice versa.

jpohlic 06-28-2017 10:03 PM

I bought a used Silver Reserve a number of years ago and it's been trouble free for me. Unknown round count but I've probably put 1000+ through it. It swings and shoulders nice. I use it for maybe a dozen rounds of trap per year and grouse/pheasant hunting in the fall, but truth be told, I prefer hunting with a single.

Newellknik 06-28-2017 10:14 PM

Thanks guys

I have Weatherby SA-08 s in 12 and 20 ga ..both semis . She shoots
the 20 pretty well but thinks a O/ U would suit her better .
And her female friend that hunts has a O/ U
Mostly we will be Uplanding over the dog .
I always shot O/U s for years before steel ...
But as I aged the kick started to annoy me.
Now I'm strictly Gas ....

For Two Bucks .....I have had that SA-08 12 Ga for 3 yrs ...flawless
I just bought that SA-08 20 ga at Bass pro , it's the compact ,
For a pretty good price $ 629.00 and they had a few of them .
I have several grandchildren coming along , so if the wife doesn't
Use it .....someone will.

TLB73 06-29-2017 02:09 PM

my thoughts are buy the best you can affort but only if it fits.
A benelli Nova pump in 12 would be great.
My Browning Midas Silver Hunter kicks harder than either of my Benelli 12Gs..
SBE 2

Let her shoulder as many as she can then buy the one that fits. She'll love you when she hits lead on target later on. the couple of hundred bucks more spent will be soooo worth it then..

Okotokian 06-29-2017 02:26 PM

I debated buying a number of different cheaper 20ga O/U's, but finally decided to buy the Weatherby semi-auto SA-08 deluxe version. Nice light gun with nice wood, and as a semi, softer shooting than any of the O/U's you are considering. That might be a consideration for your wife.

elkhunter11 06-29-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpohlic (Post 3573742)
I bought a used Silver Reserve a number of years ago and it's been trouble free for me. Unknown round count but I've probably put 1000+ through it. It swings and shoulders nice. I use it for maybe a dozen rounds of trap per year and grouse/pheasant hunting in the fall, but truth be told, I prefer hunting with a single.

1000 rounds is not much for a shotgun, and it is still within the normal range for the Silver Reserve firing pins to fail. Then again, if you purchased the gun used, they may have already failed and been replaced. For the person that hunts or shoots the odd round of trap or skeet, the firing pins may last several years, but if the gun is used to shoot even 100 shots at trap or skeet every week, it takes very little time to rack up a couple of thousand rounds.

gitrdun 06-29-2017 06:31 PM

My brother's Silver Reserve developed a hair line crack behind the tang after no more that 100 rounds. He got rid of it and opted for a VersaMax Sportsman.

Halfton 06-30-2017 05:28 PM

I bought my wife a CZ Redhead in 20ga as well as a Yildiz 20ga. She liked the Redhead but loved the Yildiz far more even thou they look almost the same in size and stock dimensions. The Yildiz is a little lighter, so I guess that the reason and even thou it doesn't have ejectors she likes it more so I sold the CZ.
I think I would pick either of these 2 and she would be happy.
No comment on the Mossberg and Stevens, other then to say the reviews I read when looking for a gun, where not the most positive for either.
Currently I am awaiting her newest shotgun to come in. P.R. has a shipment of Huglu shotguns coming in and hopefully her " CZ Lady Sterling equivalent" will be among them. Huglu makes the shotguns for CZ. It is supposed to be equipped with a new stock design made specially to fit Ladies better so we will see but is only available in 12 ga.

Jim

Newellknik 07-16-2017 09:32 AM

The gun for mom saga !

Hunter safety is in the bag . We are now starting gun testing ....
Anybody introduced a new shotgunner using the firearm centre
at Dewington . I believe they even have a ladies night ...Thnx

honda610 07-16-2017 10:19 AM

My buddy has an older silver reserve....he has gone through over half a dozen firing pins since he purchased it. All broke on the trap and skeet firing line. No rough use. I would not recommend. Look for a good used o/u alot of guys will let her try it before you buy it. Might be a better option vs new. Good luck

covey ridge 07-16-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newellknik (Post 3584498)
Hunter safety is in the bag . We are now starting gun testing ....
Anybody introduced a new shotgunner using the firearm centre
at Dewington . I believe they even have a ladies night ...Thnx

Not sure about ladies night but I would recommend the shooting center. I would also suggest you shop around for a qualified instructor. They should be able to advise you at the range. Also they rent guns at deWinton and may have a few 20s that you could try. Have fun!

7mmremmag 07-16-2017 07:21 PM

Prophet River!
Clay just got a ton of very nice Huglu guns in. I was in on Friday morning and bought two.
It is my understanding Huglu manufactured CZ's guns for them.
These guns are very nice. I bought a 20g O/U and a 28g single.
Definitely worth a look, and cheap compared to some CZ's.

bobinthesky 07-17-2017 07:11 AM

I don't know about a ladies night at Dewinton but Silver Willow often has a program for ladies starting to shoot, you could call them and ask if they have any programs currently running.
Having your wife learn to shoot with some other ladies is a good way to go as she will feel more comfortable than with a bunch of crusty old men who've been shooting for decades.