Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fall Lake Whitefish Thread (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=403294)

Drewski Canuck 09-15-2021 08:44 AM

Fall Lake Whitefish Thread

The leaves are starting to turn, but the days are still warm with no frost.

But we are at September 15th, so there should be some fall whitefish starting to show up in the shallows.

There is a contingent of fishers at Sylvan who target whites, but we have not heard from them in a while. Wabamun used to be pretty steady action near the town site off the train trestles at Moonlight bay. The later the better it seemed.

But there has to be other lakes where fall whites are being targeted. Down south McGregor seems to be an all year fishery for those who make the drive, so that lake cannot be discounted either.

For the Fall whitefish crowd, start sending us your reports. I will be trying at Calling with the slip bobber and wire worm of 1/16 ounce black rubber tail jig, in front of the townsite again. In the past the effort has been frustrated with small to big walleye hitting!

Anyways, here is the thread for all to report on.

Drewski

Fishingforjoy 09-15-2021 09:42 AM

Tried Mcgregor North Dam last week, no action.
Went to Little Bow, got 2 bites and landed 2 whole aftetnoon shore fishing . Should be getting better in October

Drewski Canuck 09-15-2021 09:52 AM

Funny thing is, at Alberta Beach we used to drag Kastmasters and Len Thompson Red Five of Diamonds in the sand in 8 - 10 FOW off of Gunn in August, and we did very well on good size Whites.

That was 20 years ago though before the walleye took over.

The Whites alot of time followed right to the boat, and would hit when the spoon was lifted off of bottom and held for a minute before being reeled to the boat. Those Whites always were full of perch minnows.

Drewski

Red Bullets 09-16-2021 09:16 PM

Drewski- Try a yellow rubber tail instead of black. I've caught a few fall whites trolling sub surface small rapala's behind a canoe too.

One old timer told me to always use smaller wireworms in the fall. The creature the wireworm is imitating is not full grown in the fall.

Fishingforjoy 09-17-2021 08:11 PM

Went to Mcgregor South Bridge, no action again. Then went to Travers, 3 bites landed 1 white

buckman 09-18-2021 09:18 AM

You would think numbers should be high since they stopped commercial fishing. Perhaps it is the Walleye,Pelicans and Cormorants doing the damage.

Sundancefisher 09-18-2021 12:45 PM

I’m hoping to give it a try. Just catch and release. How deep are the whites usually at in Macgregor?

JohnB 09-18-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4415686)
You would think numbers should be high since they stopped commercial fishing. Perhaps it is the Walleye,Pelicans and Cormorants doing the damage.

A lot of dead whites on many lakes and rivers this year do to the heat.

fish99 09-19-2021 09:30 AM

does any one know if battle lake had a summer kill of whites .

Sooner 09-19-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnB (Post 4415791)
A lot of dead whites on many lakes and rivers this year do to the heat.

I was at my uncles cabin on Lac St Anne last weekend. The cousins say a lot of big Whitefish washed up on shore this summer after the heatwave.

doublehaul 09-19-2021 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I caught one last Saturday near Hinton

Attachment 175076

doublehaul 09-20-2021 12:40 PM

I got thinking 😳

Maybe that’s a sucker

Supergrit 09-20-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublehaul (Post 4416406)
I got thinking 😳

Maybe that’s a sucker

It’s the right colour at least

dodger 09-20-2021 05:09 PM

HEY DODGER - You have everything you need to survive the Covid Zombie Apocalypse and live a life of luxury. All you need to do is catch some Lake Whitefish......................................... .................... Breaking news, Dodger has passed away.

Dodger.

MaxxiD 09-21-2021 07:55 AM

Are there any whitefish in Pine Coulee? Asking for a friend

fishinisgood 09-21-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxiD (Post 4416733)
Are there any whitefish in Pine Coulee? Asking for a friend

If there was whitefish in pine coulee the walleye probably would of done a lot better :)

litwin 09-21-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4415748)
I’m hoping to give it a try. Just catch and release. How deep are the whites usually at in Macgregor?

Macgregor is full of giant Whites, just cant catch them. Was sitting on a school of them for an hour in 30 feet of water and not a single bite. But I am terrible at catching them.

Sundancefisher 09-22-2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litwin (Post 4417111)
Macgregor is full of giant Whites, just cant catch them. Was sitting on a school of them for an hour in 30 feet of water and not a single bite. But I am terrible at catching them.

I’m hoping they move in shallower so they are easier to fly fish for. 25 feet is around my preferred depth under a corkie.

AK47 09-22-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublehaul (Post 4416070)
I caught one last Saturday near Hinton

Attachment 175076

this is white sucker.

doublehaul 09-22-2021 09:41 PM

Thanks for letting me know, I was waiting for someone to identify it

marlin1 09-23-2021 06:14 AM

not lake whites but my tenant is catching rockies on the bow with some consistency on flies bottom bouncing . Seem to be of decent size . All the lake whitefish I've caught have been through the ice on wire worms , maggots or small perch type lures . Even a tiny panther worked . Back then ice was earlier and I couldn't see bottom sometimes on Magregor due to schools . Wetaskwins too of course

WayneChristie 09-23-2021 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlin1 (Post 4417535)
not lake whites but my tenant is catching rockies on the bow with some consistency on flies bottom bouncing . Seem to be of decent size . All the lake whitefish I've caught have been through the ice on wire worms , maggots or small perch type lures . Even a tiny panther worked . Back then ice was earlier and I couldn't see bottom sometimes on Magregor due to schools . Wetaskwins too of course

He inherited great fishing genes :bad_boys_20:

YeeHaw 09-23-2021 01:56 PM

While at St Anne the other day I seen some fish rolling on the surface in a very shallow bay with near zero visibility, would those have been whites?

Sundancefisher 10-02-2021 05:24 PM

Any whitefish in the shallows at McGregor Lake yet?

chucklesthe3rd 10-03-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4421003)
Any whitefish in the shallows at McGregor Lake yet?

Tried my hand at fly fishing for them in the shallow bays but came up empty-handed. headed out for deeper water and saw them on the flasher but it seemed like they didn't want anything to do with my wireworms.

.243dude 10-11-2021 02:59 PM

Whitefish

1 Attachment(s)
Got a couple today :sHa_shakeshout:

Gonna try this recipe

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/recipe-...to-perfection/

mtnhunter 10-14-2021 10:24 AM

Anyone having success in the southern reservoirs? I tried for a couple hours on Monday without a bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewski Canuck 10-14-2021 10:39 AM

Beauty Whites!

How far along are the eggs? I understand that the Whites will spawn in November before the ice is on. They will start to stack up on heavy gravel patches before the spawn happens.

Then the Whites hang around for a while in the shallows before going back out to the deeper water.

Have seen the Whites off the tressle at Wabamun in late October - November in the days of old. Surprising numbers of other fish follow in for the eggs as well.

Drewski

AlbertanGP 10-14-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .243dude (Post 4424342)
Got a couple today :sHa_shakeshout:

Gonna try this recipe

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/recipe-...to-perfection/

It's got bacon. How can you go wrong? :happy0180:

.243dude 10-14-2021 11:50 AM

Whites

One was female one was male
the female was full of eggs and the male was full of... well ya know haha

Used a redwire worm under a slip bobber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 4425788)
Beauty Whites!

How far along are the eggs? I understand that the Whites will spawn in November before the ice is on. They will start to stack up on heavy gravel patches before the spawn happens.

Then the Whites hang around for a while in the shallows before going back out to the deeper water.

Have seen the Whites off the tressle at Wabamun in late October - November in the days of old. Surprising numbers of other fish follow in for the eggs as well.

Drewski