Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Where to sight in? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404338)

wolfhunter 10-17-2021 10:00 AM

Where to sight in?

I'm curious where guys go to sight in their rifles other than private property or a range. I have always gone to our family farm, but that's a 3 hour drive and always a hit and miss with the wind.

obsessed1 10-17-2021 10:16 AM

I have up to 100yd range right on my land. I live backed onto crown. I have a 1500yd crown land range 1/4 mile from my house. My next door neighbor has a 300yd range on his place. My brother lives 1/2 hr down the road and has a 750yd range on his quarter. I have a buddy 15 min away with a 500yd range on his quarter. I shoot / sight in wherever I feel like lol. It's great to live in the country around other gunnies.

Lots of guys around here head out to abandoned lease sights. Often they are vehicle access, 100 yds across and have large dirt berms for safe back drops

Grizzly Adams1 10-17-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4426865)
I have up to 100yd range right on my land. I live backed onto crown. I have a 1500yd crown land range 1/4 mile from my house. My next door neighbor has a 300yd range on his place. My brother lives 1/2 hr down the road and has a 750yd range on his quarter. I have a buddy 15 min away with a 500yd range on his quarter. I shoot / sight in wherever I feel like lol. It's great to live in the country around other gunnies.

Lots of guys around here head out to abandoned lease sights. Often they are vehicle access, 100 yds across and have large dirt berms for safe back drops

Then you get their to find a pile of crap, left by the last shooter. :mad3:

Grizz

obsessed1 10-17-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 (Post 4426896)
Then you get their to find a pile of crap, left by the last shooter. :mad3:

Grizz

Yup some guys are slobs. If you stay out of the " party leases" though you often don't have issue with crap left behind...its not always shooters who are slobs though... I've found old furniture, piles of old shingles, piles of drywall cut offs, garbage bags full if household garbage, appliances, tires, ect...I suppose it's just easier / cheaper to dump it on crown than the dump...
Not all the slobs are shooters but it definitely leaves a bad impression when shooters leave thier shot up trash and cases/ hulls all over the place.

wolfhunter 10-17-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

You've got room for one more 😁

obsessed1 10-17-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhunter (Post 4426899)
You've got room for one more 😁

It's a bit more than a 3 hr drive though lol

KGB 10-17-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Hey, can I be your friend? :sHa_shakeshout:

Battle Rat 10-17-2021 01:28 PM

I shoot out back of the house only 300 yards from the reloading bench.
Several friends and local and acquaintances use my range.
Some have brought their AR gongs and accessories for all to share.
I've seen on this forum someone asking "where to sight in?" Only to get snapped at to get snapped at to not be cheap and join a club.
After reading about all of the drama on here that goes on at the shooting ranges, I realize how fortuate it is to not have to resort to joing a club.

StiksnStrings 10-17-2021 01:29 PM

Indoor range?

Here in Edmonton I'll stop in at Phoenix. Only 40 yds but, no weather to effect things. They have a chart on the wall for 100/200yd zeros for various calibers and bullet weights. Makes for a quick and easy check or for a little trigger time when it's -25c outside.

Battle Rat 10-17-2021 02:06 PM

Find a friend with some land, offer to build a bench and sight in his guns for him.

DirtShooter 10-17-2021 06:27 PM

Gravel pits?

A crownlans quarter will be more than enough for you to sight in.