Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   what's going on with primers? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=426044)

Macdrizzle 10-14-2023 01:37 PM

what's going on with primers?

I just got into reloading and have been in search of large rifle primers for the past year now. I can't find them anywhere. I've look on online retailers, in store retailers and no luck.

Can someone PM me where I might find some large rifle primers? I'm not looking to horde, I'm just looking for like 2 dozen or so for a hunting season.

Jjolg123 10-14-2023 01:58 PM

Checking online shops every morning and you’ll stumble into some, where are you located? Gunpost has them every now And then but you have to sort through as lots of people are selling strictly to make huge profits. In Calgary I’ve seen them in stock at the southland and Shawnessy locations

elkhunter11 10-14-2023 02:55 PM

Shipments have arrived at several Canadian vendors, and AO members posted to notify the forum members. Unfortunately they sold out within a few days. If you want primers, you need to keep your eyes and ears open, and watch for notices on AO and CGN.

Hunter Trav 10-14-2023 04:28 PM

Swamp Donkey in Edmonton had some a few weeks ago, might be worth a call to ask if they still have any...

pikergolf 10-14-2023 05:13 PM

Where are you living at?

Macdrizzle 10-15-2023 01:19 AM

I am located in Edmonton

ghfalls 10-15-2023 10:07 AM

Swamp donkey outdoors has them in stock

Dick284 10-15-2023 10:23 AM

A bit over three years ago a lot of us who’ve been through a few component shortages warned about the impending woes.

Far too many of our forums apologist’s blew it off as fear mongering, and gave out every other excuse under the sun why a couple extra packs of this or that, couldn’t be purchased.

When Higginson got the first real shipment of primers in, in the last 4 years, no fewer than 5 friends ganged up our orders and shipped together, with an average shipping cost of $25/person tacked on to each order.

The Higginson shipment was posted here as well.

If you’re stuck, and you’re not at all observant, I don’t know what to say, other than bring a hefty wad of cash, to buy your primers with.

Pathfinder76 10-15-2023 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 4668021)
A bit over three years ago a lot of us who’ve been through a few component shortages warned about the impending woes.

Far too many of our forums apologist’s blew it off as fear mongering, and gave out every other excuse under the sun why a couple extra packs of this or that, couldn’t be purchased.

When Higginson got the first real shipment of primers in, in the last 4 years, no fewer than 5 friends ganged up our orders and shipped together, with an average shipping cost of $25/person tacked on to each order.

If you’re stuck, and you’re not at all observant, I don’t know what to say, other than bring a hefty wad of cash, to buy your primers with.

You must have missed the part where he said he recently got into handloading.

Dick284 10-15-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 (Post 4668023)
You must have missed the part where he said he recently got into handloading.

You musta missed the part where he’s been looking for a year……

Give it a rest, Chuck!

MountainTi 10-15-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

How helpful

Pathfinder76 10-15-2023 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 4668026)
You musta missed the part where he’s been looking for a year……

Give it a rest, Chuck!

Maybe help the guy out instead of the broken record lecture every time one of these threads come up. It’s wearying.

270person 10-15-2023 11:01 AM

Quote:

I honestly don't remember a lot of contrarians on whether or not there'd be shortages. The reasons why maybe.

Pathfinder76 10-15-2023 11:05 AM

Predicting the future is a skill not many have. Hindsight on the other hand……

Dick284 10-15-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4668031)
I honestly don't remember a lot of contrarians on whether or not there'd be shortages. The reasons why maybe.

Democrat US Pres…..
pandemic initiated production interruptions.
Increased production contracts for militaries and law enforcement.

This drought is by far the worst ever encountered, there’s a pile of stars aligning, and thankfully there’s some supply starting to trickle in.

Higginson
X reload
Swamp Donkey
Cabelas

And others as well.

Here’s the warning I gave out:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=387123

As for the Higginson order;

Post #113 here: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=Higginson

Pathfinder76 10-15-2023 11:21 AM

“Having been through no less than 5 of the tight times for ammunition and components, I’m sure glad I learnt my lessons after the second time.“

Thanks for the link.

elkhunter11 10-15-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 (Post 4668033)
Predicting the future is a skill not many have. Hindsight on the other hand……

For the people just starting out into reloading, their timing was just unlucky. But there are many people that were reloading for several years before the shortages, that ignored the warnings, and found themselves in the same situation. Bad luck for some, lack of forethought for others.

Pathfinder76 10-15-2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4668042)
For the people just starting out into reloading, their timing was just unlucky. But there are many people that were reloading for several years before the shortages, that ignored the warnings, and found themselves in the same situation. Bad luck for some, lack of forethought for others.

And if they ever forget it they have two people here who love to remind them of just how dumb they were. Every time it comes up!

It’s like beating your dog for chasing a car two years ago. Every time you see a car driving down the road.

Ackleyman 10-15-2023 11:53 AM

MacDrizzle , if you happen to make a road trip South for any reason I'll give you a sleeve or two to get yuh rolling. I'm in Strathmore.

Salavee 10-15-2023 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 (Post 4668047)
And if they ever forget it they have two people here who love to remind them of just how dumb they were. Every time it comes up!

It’s like beating your dog for chasing a car two years ago. Every time you see a car driving down the road.

Right you are !!

Grizzly Adams1 10-15-2023 12:00 PM

I've seen a fair amount for sale at gun shows, not rip off prices either.:confused:

Grizz

elkhunter11 10-15-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 (Post 4668047)

Oddly enough, quite a few people did pay attention to the predictions, more every time possible shortages were mentioned. :thinking-006:

FishOutOfWater 10-15-2023 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macdrizzle (Post 4667948)
I am located in Edmonton

If you come to Red Deer, I have a couple sleeves I'll sell you at a reasonable price... $40 for 200 primers.

I payed $25 per 100, IIRC.

:sign0111:

270person 10-15-2023 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 4668035)
Democrat US Pres…..
pandemic initiated production interruptions.
Increased production contracts for militaries and law enforcement.

This drought is by far the worst ever encountered, there’s a pile of stars aligning, and thankfully there’s some supply starting to trickle in.

Higginson
X reload
Swamp Donkey
Cabelas

And others as well.

Here’s the warning I gave out:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=387123

As for the Higginson order;

Post #113 here: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=Higginson

Every chance its could get a lot drier again soon too.

Dick284 10-15-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4668066)
Every chance its could get a lot drier again soon too.

If the “sand box” goes right squirrelly I’m afraid so.

Pathfinder76 10-15-2023 01:31 PM

No one can afford it anymore. The hoarding will stop. Here is a small town store. I would not want to be sitting on this inventory right now.

https://i.imgur.com/Bx6gJu9.jpg

Buckshot82 10-15-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 (Post 4668073)
No one can afford it anymore. The hoarding will stop. Here is a small town store. I would not want to be sitting on this inventory right now.

https://i.imgur.com/Bx6gJu9.jpg

Do you mind sharing the location of said store? I’ll happily take a couple boxes off them Haha

CranePete 10-15-2023 04:09 PM

That’s not a store, that’s a magazine

~altiplano~ 10-15-2023 11:02 PM

I started reloading this year...
I managed to pick up 3K SRPs and am loading 6.5creed with those in Lapua cases.
LRPs have been tougher without going to the opportunists, but still managed to source 500 at normal prices just to get going.
Still need to get some LRP magnums though... patience it is... or be ready to pay.
My timing is poor on deciding to start a loading room, it is what it is... it will come back around and I'll be ready next time.

32-40win 10-15-2023 11:33 PM

Need to be vigilant in searching, and willing to pay some freight if necc. I haven't needed any primers since 2020, still good on them, but this year, things seem to be improving, very slowly, powder is back for the most part, Hodgdon anyway. I see VV and Shooter's World in the US, not much of them up here, do show occasionally now though. Alliant seems to be absent. Bullet supply is still spotty in certain stuff, occasional stuff showing up, some have rec'd decent orders of stuff other than Hornady.
Primers are still an issue down south, but, not near as bad as they were, they are available down there, just that people won't pay frt on them to get them, or won't search for them. Powder is going down in price, slowly, even see sales on it now in Canada, albeit mostly pistol powders.