Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Yellow weasel? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=117351)

dale7637 01-07-2012 06:08 PM

Yellow weasel?

I was out checking traps today, and saw a little weasel mousing around one of the beaver houses. I noticed that the weasel was the normal white from the head to the mid torso, but towards the rear end of the weasel the white turned almost like a light fluorescent yellow. Any idea what causing that yellowing? It was unreal how bright it was. Wish I would have had a camera, but I left the phone at home.

pointer 01-07-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale7637 (Post 1244970)
I was out checking traps today, and saw a little weasel mousing around one of the beaver houses. I noticed that the weasel was the normal white from the head to the mid torso, but towards the rear end of the weasel the white turned almost like a light fluorescent yellow. Any idea what causing that yellowing? It was unreal how bright it was. Wish I would have had a camera, but I left the phone at home.

they like to pee on themselves some times causes that color but i could be wrong mabey some one else knows a different reason?

Bushmaster 01-07-2012 06:21 PM

I always thought it was a urine stain...but not positive. And it is very common....

TRAPPER92 01-07-2012 06:22 PM

They pee on themselves.

trigger7mm 01-07-2012 06:25 PM

yellow weasel

I caught them before and they were pretty yellowed up on the back end. Just by smelling them I could tell they had been peeing all over themselves. Maybe to mark their territory?

sourdough doug 01-07-2012 10:37 PM

They do have scent glands, if you haven't discovered them yet..:lol:....:character0175:

KegRiver 01-07-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointer (Post 1244987)
they like to pee on themselves some times causes that color but i could be wrong mabey some one else knows a different reason?

Not pee, scent stains. You might notice that the stained individuals have that distinct Weasel odor, much more so then unstained individuals.

If you check you would also find that the males often have heavier staining then females and that this staining becomes more pronounced around their breeding season. Which I do believe is in early February.

Skywalker 01-10-2012 09:16 AM

urine

Some animals have urine that contains phosphorous. That seems to be the case with weasels. I researched this when I was a kid because I had a mounted bush weasel and the yellow would glow under a black light. I think they can see this in the dark and can identify each other. Just a theory.

Lefty-Canuck 01-10-2012 10:22 AM

They raided the trappers cabin and stole the vitamin C pills and gatorade.....

LC

Benjamin 01-25-2012 09:12 AM

LC
That's the best one yet. Lol love it lol. I think the weasel or ermine is an or active young adult with high hormones. A stincky bugger