Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Excellent Butcher-Butcher Bus (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=191825)

newfieredneck 09-12-2013 08:20 PM

Excellent Butcher-Butcher Bus

Hey Everyone,

I just want to give 2 thumbs up to Charles at the
Butcher Bus, just East of Sherwood Park.
My wife got her young bull moose 45 minutes
into the season on Sept. 1st in a WMU that I won't mention
way up North.
It was about 28 degrees that day and after
a 7.5 hour drive with 30 bags of ice on it, we
brought the quartered up and skinned
moose to Charles at the Butcher Bus.
He open the cooler for us at about 11:00 PM, so
to hang the quarters.
He was very straight forward and professional
and did an excellent job cutting and packaging
the animal. By the way, he does an awesome
smoked roast that is better than corned beef and
is very similar to Montreal smoked meat.
He also does a wicked honey garlic sausage.
We usually do our own processing due to not so
great butchers in the past but we are
very pleased with his prompt and professional
service and thought we should mention it
to everyone.

foxracing_23 09-12-2013 09:16 PM

I have used him as well in the past, and received very good products from him, however there has been a lot of controversy with butcher bus in the last couple years.

Antelopeous 09-12-2013 09:50 PM

Just took a mulie buck there for processing. Opened the doors to me at 11:30pm to hang my deer. Great service. Friendly and professional. Gave me some tips on what not to do next time for skinning and gutting. Always appreciated.
Gave him some moose roasts from last year a couple weeks ago and he made me some Hawaiian Smokeys....and they are phenominal....best smokies I've had in a long time.
Thanks Charles, keep up the good work.

coolpete1 09-12-2013 11:51 PM

i've been using him for years , since he let me drop a moose of a 3am , he makes awesome sausage!

Alberta Bigbore 09-13-2013 04:38 AM

I used to use him as a butcher for years. For the past two ive used Victoria fancy Sausage.

Charles is a great butcher... probably the best garlic sausage around. But waiting months and months for your meat is not cool. When he started taking on too much is when i stopped going. His hired help that cut my last cow moose probably couldnt cut theyre way out of a wet paper bag. We swear a large portion of out last cow moose.. was someone elses meat.. and some of it mule deer. Lol steaks also were cut super tiny , some off color as if it was expised to air too long? It was like some portions had a crust? And in the burger.... there was hair in it ground up.. and i brought the animal picked clean of hair. In years past.. you could roll the carcass in the dirt, dead grass and coat it with hair.... and your meat would come back as if it went through a car wash.. awesome!

Victoria will come in late at night too with a phone call ahead of time and a small after hours fee. But man alive are the cuts quality... and his maple breakfast sausage is deadly. Amongst the other fine meats he makes .

I used to enjoy Butchers bus... there are a few dragged out threads in the past about displeasure of Butchers Bus.

If Charles could guarentee me that HE is the one cutting the meat... i would go back as the garlic sausage is just that damn good. This post isnt meant to be taken negatively... just hope things have changed on the bus. Once rifle season starts.. he gets busy and the wait is long

Sooner 09-13-2013 11:11 AM

I have used him before, good guy. First year he did some garlic sausage and cheese smokies from my moose. My garlic sausage had cheese through out. No biggie, I found out the guy who did the processing got canned shortly after my batch. Second moose the garlic sausage was much better. My friend got a wild boar and Charles did up some sausage, OMG it is good, still have to try the other stuff he did with that pig. I only get sausage made by Charles as we cut up our game. Anyone ever use the Guy in the Ottewell shopping centre when he was in business. Best moose/garlic sausage ever, would love to find a butcher who can compare to what that guy made.

nube 09-13-2013 11:27 AM

After begging him for my stuff I finally got it in Feb! While eating it I bit into a chunk of lead as well. Funny thing is all I use is Barnes bullets so no lead in my bullets! I will not use him for my meat again

JRsMav 09-13-2013 12:12 PM

ive had meat in his shop before and it was pretty tasty!

pretty tough to beat butchers corner in Beaumont though.

colour86 09-13-2013 12:24 PM

i have used him before, but last year was the last time I will try. took in a deer skinned, clean, and he refused it. Was rude too and thats after 2 yrs of business, and after he messed up my pepperoni the previous year and forgot the cheese in jal/cheese. how someone does that i don't know. His sausage is alright, but its nothing to rant and rave about. After that encounter I cut all my own now. Even do my own sausage. His shop is a mess too. reefer unit outside with piles of carcasses and rib cages/bones everywhere outside. He started biting off more then he could chew.

chuck0039 09-13-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 2115175)

Victoria will come in late at night too with a phone call ahead of time and a small after hours fee. But man alive are the cuts quality... and his maple breakfast sausage is deadly. Amongst the other fine meats he makes .

This is great to hear!! I Just picked up my Maple breakfast sausage from Victoria yesterday. Had to use up the last 12 pounds of deer from last year.

Now I cant wait to cook some up tomorrow morning!

Bearbreath 09-13-2013 05:12 PM

Used the Butcher Bus for a couple years. Charles was a nice guy. The garlic sausage was some of the best I have ever had. The casings on the smokies were too tough. The jerky is ground and pressed which was different but good.
We debone the animal and bring in what we want made into sausage and jerky.

In one case he said a week for my stuff and four weeks later I called and said he forgot and it has been ready for a while.

Another time he said a month and we got the stuff in three.

If you want your meat quickly look else where.

Gboe8 09-13-2013 07:24 PM

Place Is a little bit messy, but he dose seem to know what he is doing haven't had any problem with the meat I have had done or the wait time. He is also very friendly ever time I have gone.

Antelopeous 09-13-2013 09:48 PM

Well charles just called me today to let me know my mule deer was done....I only dropped it off 4 days ago. If that's not fast then I'm not surw what is

twytter 09-14-2013 08:03 PM

well I used him 2 years in row and will never go there again,first year he did an awesome job but cut too thick and waited 2 months for my meat,then second time I waited 3 damn long months for my 2 deer meat,i didn't get what I ask for, and waited too long,cant believe it can take 3 friggin months to cut 2 deer,last year went to Victoria and took a week and was more then satisfied with everything,will never go see Charles again and would never recommend him to my worst ennemie

Alberta Bigbore 09-14-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antelopeous (Post 2116148)
Well charles just called me today to let me know my mule deer was done....I only dropped it off 4 days ago. If that's not fast then I'm not surw what is

Um.. its pretty much bowseason and slow... wait until Nov1 and after a week..... drop something off......lol

johnjohn 10-04-2013 09:15 AM

butcher

Charles is his own biggest fan.

Dacotensis 10-04-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjohn (Post 2140289)
Charles is his own biggest fan.

Your point is?

I know some darn good welders that are proud of their work.
So what?
That happens in every line of work.
The BB does a good job.
He came from nothing. Nothing ever given to him and works hard to make a few dollars.
You have options. In the area you could go to Kastlens but don't plan on getting all your product back.
I have taken 4 elk, 2 moose and a pig to Charles and never had an issue.

In life, sometimes you get what you give.

Alberta Bigbore 10-04-2013 09:28 AM

Hands down.. Charles makes the best Garlic sausage around. Just wish he wasnt so busy. If it woukd be charles and just charles processing my big game... i would go back

johnjohn 10-04-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dacotensis (Post 2140300)
Your point is?

I know some darn good welders that are proud of their work.
So what?
That happens in every line of work.
The BB does a good job.
He came from nothing. Nothing ever given to him and works hard to make a few dollars.
You have options. In the area you could go to Kastlens but don't plan on getting all your product back.
I have taken 4 elk, 2 moose and a pig to Charles and never had an issue.

In life, sometimes you get what you give.

You finish your post with "in life, sometimes you get what you give", then ask me what my point is????? I brought my moose to him 2 times and it was spotless. He commented on its cleanliness but still felt the need to preach to me for an hour about how to properly field dress and care for an animal. Then he told me how he was going to run classes on how to butcher an animal which as far as I know, has never happened. I'm sure all of us have heard his lecture on not cutting the pelvic bone and simply using a long knife instead...(real easy to do with a moose on a fly-in hunt). My point is the guy likes to hear himself talk and does not, will not, entertain anyone elses ideas or approaches to field dressing and meat processing. And isnt he still using M.S.G in his products?

Zuludog 10-04-2013 10:05 AM

I used Charles on a deer two years ago. The smokies were great and he was very helpful & has always taken the time to answer any of my questions regarding field dressing or meat prep and storage. My only issue was the time it took to get my deer back, it was around 3 months but I did bring it in at the busiest time of the year. (Mid November) Since then I have run into him and I think he knew that he bit off more than he could chew that year and hopefully he can better manage his workload as he does a great job with his products.

Dirt2oil 10-04-2013 07:49 PM

How many of you got to taste the sausage before you ordered it?? Probably 95% of US! Who's meat did he cut open to "sample"? I started to take animals to him about 7 years ago he WAS good then. But when I bring in a 500lb moose and get 4 little boxes for 700$ I quit going. Oh those boxes are what $4 I think he charges. But really the final straw was when he says" I have your meat over here" and points to the bus!! Yeah the bus that has had 10 million behindes not to mention mice from the 100 deer carcasses there. Charles no thanks.

bezzola 10-04-2013 10:42 PM

I was there last year to pick up are meat and it was an absolute mess never again.

sns2 10-04-2013 11:00 PM

Charles is a decent guy. I have nothing bad to say about him as a person. However, as has been said ad nauseum, he has screwed a lot of people up badly by ruining their meat. However, my hunting partners and I always had excellent service. Preferential even. I think he simply bit off more than he could chew. Two years ago I was there and personally saw at least 10 pails of rotten black meat in his cooler. My son had to leave and go outside as he was literally gagging at the smell. The best thing I can say about the place is that it caused me to buy all my own meat processing equipment which I am thankful for.

Feel free to take your meat there. You may get excellent product as I normally did, but I know a little bit about sanitary conditions and cross-contamination. Charles does too. He just chooses to ignore it when there is a buck to be made.

diamond k 10-05-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 2141512)
Charles is a decent guy. I have nothing bad to say about him as a person. However, as has been said ad nauseum, he has screwed a lot of people up badly by ruining their meat. However, my hunting partners and I always had excellent service. Preferential even. I think he simply bit off more than he could chew. Two years ago I was there and personally saw at least 10 pails of rotten black meat in his cooler. My son had to leave and go outside as he was literally gagging at the smell. The best thing I can say about the place is that it caused me to buy all my own meat processing equipment which I am thankful for.

Feel free to take your meat there. You may get excellent product as I normally did, but I know a little bit about sanitary conditions and cross-contamination. Charles does too. He just chooses to ignore it when there is a buck to be made.

exactly why he is no longer allowed tp process beef for sale.

gopher67 10-05-2013 07:06 PM

K&k is the best for sausage the garlic sausage is the best right now they are giving out a free vidio on how to bone out the meat just ask for one while supplies last the guyS make the best sausage

BigRackLover 10-05-2013 10:20 PM

Butcher bus is awesome for smokies,jerky and boneless processing.
K&K gets my meat for german salami .... there isn't even any competition.
Butchers corner (beaumont) did an awesome job on my pepperonis last year... best I've had.
Victory fancy ... I must try these maple breakfast things. Anybody feeling the "season of giving" early yet?

Longest I had to wait at the butcher bus was 1 month for a moose, but usually it's the standard 7-10 days.

Charles admitted to me he took on too much a few years back, so I wouldn't expect that to happen again. It was too much for him and not good for business (obviously)

sns2 10-05-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRackLover (Post 2142521)
Butcher bus is awesome for smokies,jerky and boneless processing.
K&K gets my meat for german salami .... there isn't even any competition.
Butchers corner (beaumont) did an awesome job on my pepperonis last year... best I've had.
Victory fancy ... I must try these maple breakfast things. Anybody feeling the "season of giving" early yet?

Longest I had to wait at the butcher bus was 1 month for a moose, but usually it's the standard 7-10 days.

Charles admitted to me he took on too much a few years back, so I wouldn't expect that to happen again. It was too much for him and not good for business (obviously)

He has got a long way to go to salvage his reputation amongst hunters.

Alberta Bigbore 10-05-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRackLover (Post 2142521)

I can be that giver on my next animal.