Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bow River (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=364183)

Bfishing 05-21-2019 08:36 PM

Bow River

Hi all, newbie here.
Looking for a bit of advice for fishing both fly and spinning on Bow by campground in Cochrane just down river of the Hwy 22 bridge.
Trying to get bride more into fishing so we can do the camping/fishing thing more together.
Cheers

lds 05-22-2019 05:26 PM

Do a search but for a newbie and trying to convince someone into fishing the bow is not the best option. It’s a tough river to start on. Whatever you use though get it to the bottom. Need to feel the rocks. I would suggest starting at a smaller lake or pond or wait till all the mountain rivers are open and walk the banks. Do some reading on how to read a trout stream. Watch some Orvis videos. They are great for starting out with fly fishing. Spin fishing just stick with small spinners and light line. 8lbs max but 4-6lbs will get more

Bfishing 05-23-2019 06:34 AM

Thanks lds. Advice taken. Cheers

Fishing4Trophies 05-23-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfishing (Post 3979311)
Hi all, newbie here.
Looking for a bit of advice for fishing both fly and spinning on Bow by campground in Cochrane just down river of the Hwy 22 bridge.
Trying to get bride more into fishing so we can do the camping/fishing thing more together.
Cheers

Don't even bother fishing Cochrane, damn close to fish less this time of year. Take a trip out to the Bow in Calgary and you should get some fish. (Make sure to check the search engine for additional tips on hooks and location).
Cheers man

pinelakeperch 05-23-2019 08:52 AM

Taking a bit of a different approach here but I'd recommend a stocked trout pond/lake if you want to get your partner into fishing. Check out the stocking reports for stocked water bodies in your area.

Jfs 05-23-2019 07:34 PM

Cochrane

I have excellent results both above and below Cochrane..
Once you get used to the seasonal discharge from Ghost Dam and use the Alberta Environment website for Bow River Flows..
Adjust your time accordingly.
Summer time can be awesome Dry Fly action for uneducated fish.
I have caught 5 Trout Species in one day above Cochrane, largest was 20" .Have boated well over 40 fish in 1 afternoon between 2 of us..
Helps that I have a Power Drifter Jet Boat, but do some exploring and walking and you will find fish..Super Pretty stretch of River..

Fishing4Trophies 05-23-2019 08:27 PM

Whoops double post

Fishing4Trophies 05-23-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfs (Post 3980029)
I have excellent results both above and below Cochrane..
Once you get used to the seasonal discharge from Ghost Dam and use the Alberta Environment website for Bow River Flows..
Adjust your time accordingly.
Summer time can be awesome Dry Fly action for uneducated fish.
I have caught 5 Trout Species in one day above Cochrane, largest was 20" .Have boated well over 40 fish in 1 afternoon between 2 of us..
Helps that I have a Power Drifter Jet Boat, but do some exploring and walking and you will find fish..Super Pretty stretch of River..

Hopefully it picks up soon because it's much later than in recent years!