Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   mule deer questions (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=200530)

kory1 11-29-2013 09:31 PM

mule deer questions

seen a nice big mule deer today but was a little to far for a shot and he was staring at me for over 40 minutes i tried using whitetail calls rattling and nothing worked is there something diffrent you gota do for mules ive never hunted them before ? will they come in to normal deer calls and ratteling ? going out tomorrow morning where i seen him hopefully he will be there again dint spook him he just walked away slowly

Big Red 250 11-29-2013 10:00 PM

How far is too far for a shot?

abwtfanatic 11-29-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kory1 (Post 2216697)
seen a nice big mule deer today but was a little to far for a shot and he was staring at me for over 40 minutes i tried using whitetail calls rattling and nothing worked is there something diffrent you gota do for mules ive never hunted them before ? will they come in to normal deer calls and ratteling ? going out tomorrow morning where i seen him hopefully he will be there again dint spook him he just walked away slowly

If he was staring at you, he probably knew you weren't a deer. You could have tried to get close enough for a shot.

kory1 11-29-2013 10:55 PM

he was about 600-700yards in tall grass im going back before sunrise sit in my spot hopefully he comes out again would a WT grunt work or should i try to smeak up on it

J D 11-29-2013 11:17 PM

I have had better luck with doe bleats than rattling or grunts which mule deer

Mule deer are not as aggressive when they respond to a call either

Speckle55 11-29-2013 11:18 PM

What do you shoot for a rifle :fighting0007: and what is your comfort range

you need go to where you saw him and ambush him there(creatures of habit) .. just do way less calling and bonk your horns into the ground once or twice in 1 hour

get a old white blanked or sheet and loosely cover yourself

put some doe in heat on your boots and on some cotton and leave a couple pieces as you walk up to were you saw him on branches along the way

Good luck

David:)

kory1 11-29-2013 11:36 PM

ok thanks and im shooting a 7mm havent shot a deer over 300yards yet i have a buris scope and i dont really like it for long shots

Speckle55 11-30-2013 12:12 AM

Pump house use your mill dots :fighting0007:

David:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kory1 (Post 2216877)
ok thanks and im shooting a 7mm havent shot a deer over 300yards yet i have a buris scope and i dont really like it for long shots

WRHT 11-30-2013 10:24 AM

I rattled in a mule deer buck last weekend. I have grunted in mule deer does as well. So it works just sometimes better then others. Try it and see what happens. You won't know until you try. Worth an effort.