Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New to wall tents. Stove suggestions? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=352504)

Buckhorn2 10-05-2018 07:30 PM

New to wall tents. Stove suggestions?

Im new to wall tents. I picked up a used 12x14 wall tent. It has a stove ring in it. What size tent should i look for. Whats the pro/cons of the different styles. I will not need to cook on it. Does not have to be light weight. Mid weight is ok as ill be able to drive my truck to where we are going to set up base.

Is there a store around calgary that i could pick one up. I dont really want to mail order a stove id like to get out tuesday or wednesday. Anyone have a used on for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 whelen 10-05-2018 07:34 PM

Pick yourself up a medium-sized airtight get them at any hardware store usually

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Canadasnowman 10-05-2018 09:01 PM

I too have a 12x14 with a 8 ft add on kitchen.
We use a 20 inch long tube type air tight . into minus 30.
Sitting around in short sleeve shirts and long underwear playing cards.
Plenty warm enough.
Northwest Shelters sells them.
CSM

warriorboy10 10-05-2018 10:45 PM

Don’t really need a big stove the trick is keeping it at a constant temp. A little trick, hang the potty seat behind fire box until it’s needed and users will never have a cold ars!

buckman 10-06-2018 05:49 AM

I have a 24 inch airtight for my 12x 14, will burn all night if you damp it right down and burn 4 inch spruce rounds jammed full to the top.

They are inexpensive light and as long as you put a couple of inches of dirt in the bottom, long lasting.

bdub 10-06-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 3851074)
I have a 24 inch airtight for my 12x 14, will burn all night if you damp it right down and burn 4 inch spruce rounds jammed full to the top.

They are inexpensive light and as long as you put a couple of inches of dirt in the bottom, long lasting.

U bet. Was going to mention this as well.
Also get the stove and the stove pipe seasoned to burn the oils out of the metal before you use a brand new one in the tent. I always used those rectangular stoves. I found them easier to pack in a boat, plane or quad than the airtights, and the stove pipe fit inside the stove. Just make sure you set them up on some rocks off the ground. I usually pack a bunch of rocks around the stove as well. Helps to hold a bit more heat at night and keep you from accidentally burning stuff on the sides of the stove. Make sure you put a damper in the pipe, up a bit off the stoves surface.

Donkey Slayer 10-08-2018 06:34 AM

I have used the same air tight stove since 1987, use it every year. Always take a 1/2 bucket of sand to put in the bottom to protect it from burning out. Find a nice box to protect it. Always keep dry.

1bowhunter12 10-08-2018 10:53 AM

I personally can’t stand airtights .. yah they are light and inexpensive but a front loading stove is far better imo..Homemade ones are the best but if need one right away I think campers visage has a few different ones that I think you would be a lot happier with than an airtight

hilltops 10-08-2018 08:31 PM

Stove

Where are you located? I have a couple of stoves which might meet yours needs. You can have one or both,cheap.

Hilgy 10-08-2018 10:13 PM

Have a look at cylinder stoves. They make good stuff. One thing I’ve really been looking at is the pellet burner kit that can be added to their stoves. There was a post on here where someone has the pellet set up and sounds like it’s working great. I love the idea of burning wood when your up and around camp and then just switch to pellets and crawl into your sleeping bag.

Big Grey Wolf 10-09-2018 09:03 AM

Airtights were and are a great stove, kept the farmers in Alberta alive in poorly insulated houses in -50oF weather. Most of us would have froze to death as kids if it was not for a big pile of dry wood and a airtight heater, will definitly keep couple hunters warm in a tent with good sleeping bags.

Sooner 10-09-2018 10:35 AM

I have a 12x14. Bought a 20 inch air tight 25 yrs ago from Campers Village. Still going strong. Heats the tent nice. Light stove to move around. Can cook or heat water on top.

Buy as big as you can afford. I wish I had bought the 24 inch. Bigger hole to put bigger log pieces in, holds more wood so less getting up to re stoke. I took a big pail of gravel out to our tent spot. Gravel goes in the bottom when we get there. Dump it back out with the ashes when we leave. Has kept my stove floor nice and new.

Ice Fishing Maniac 10-09-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorboy10 (Post 3851024)
A little trick, hang the potty seat behind fire box until it’s needed and users will never have a cold ars!

Just use some 1-2” thick styrofoam with cutout for your toilet seat and leave out on the pot.

Never cold.

Ice Fishing Maniac 10-09-2018 10:43 AM

We have a homemade stove built out of 24” OD pipeline pipe for or 16x20 tent. Used thru winter snowmobiling in the mountains as well. This stove put out heat when needed and when stuffed full and turn down the dampeners would last almost thru the night

Our news tent we bought like 8 years ago 16x20, we use the Prospector desiel heater. Works great for consistent heat

IMO say away from the airtight tin stoves

nast70 10-09-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 3851074)

I would avoid using spruce unless you are very confident in your spark arrestor, or have a FR tarp on your roof.

MountainTi 10-09-2018 11:33 AM

https://www.peaveymart.com/Wood-Stove-P4976.aspx

flat top nice for cooking on
If not worried about weight, go to crappy tire and buy a box of rectangular BBQ bricks to line bottom

West O'5 10-09-2018 05:17 PM

If weight is not an issue I’d have a cast iron airtight for sure,I hate those liteweight tin can piece o craps that only hold a fire for 3 hrs but if it’s a horseback or ATV hunt not much choice.
Another option I’ve been considering(I too have a 12x14) is a diesel heater,I’ve seen pretty nice military grade stoves at some Army Surplus stores for $300-$500-ish??
Normally I don’t mind cutting firewood and kinda like it actually and love a good wood stove fire,but I took my young teen son on an early Oct hunt cpl years ago and we got dumped on by 10” snow....gathering firewood became a real chore as everything was soaked,piling wet wood up all around the stove just to thaw it out enough to burn etc etc/keeping fire going was a full time job almost.....that’s when I thought I should get a diesel stove.
-consistent heat/no stoking the stove all night
-more time for hunting/no wasted time gathering firewood
Again....normally cutting wood is no big deal and all part of the experience but it’s another chore to do after setting up tent,or you get to campsite late in day etc etc gotta make time for it next day,time that could be spent hunting for deer and elk instead of hunting for slash piles and standing/leaning deadwood.
$50 bucks worth of diesel for the week and be done with it.

Austin 10-09-2018 08:33 PM

Home Hardware. Order it and pick it up. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/610mm...ater/p/5530320

They have 2 smaller sizes,,, we use the 610mm for our 14x16's

dmcbride 10-09-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 3853054)
Home Hardware. Order it and pick it up. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/610mm...ater/p/5530320

They have 2 smaller sizes,,, we use the 610mm for our 14x16's

X2 Before I built my own this is the stove I use to use.

hilltops 10-10-2018 10:21 AM

Stove

One of the two stoves I have is the Home Hardware item 5530320 ( used). The other is the smaller version, (new, never used). AO member can have both for 24 coors. (Edmonton area)

Buckhorn2 10-10-2018 04:53 PM

Thanks for suggestions. Im looking into the links that were sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Bullets 10-11-2018 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by West O'5 (Post 3852939)
If weight is not an issue I’d have a cast iron airtight for sure,I hate those liteweight tin can piece o craps that only hold a fire for 3 hrs but if it’s a horseback or ATV hunt not much choice.
Another option I’ve been considering(I too have a 12x14) is a diesel heater,I’ve seen pretty nice military grade stoves at some Army Surplus stores for $300-$500-ish??
Normally I don’t mind cutting firewood and kinda like it actually and love a good wood stove fire,but I took my young teen son on an early Oct hunt cpl years ago and we got dumped on by 10” snow....gathering firewood became a real chore as everything was soaked,piling wet wood up all around the stove just to thaw it out enough to burn etc etc/keeping fire going was a full time job almost.....that’s when I thought I should get a diesel stove.
-consistent heat/no stoking the stove all night
-more time for hunting/no wasted time gathering firewood
Again....normally cutting wood is no big deal and all part of the experience but it’s another chore to do after setting up tent,or you get to campsite late in day etc etc gotta make time for it next day,time that could be spent hunting for deer and elk instead of hunting for slash piles and standing/leaning deadwood.
$50 bucks worth of diesel for the week and be done with it.

A cast iron brooder stove is choice. Once you have a bed of coals you fill it up with lump coal and set the built in mechanical thermostat for 65 or 70 and sleep for the whole night. Good for 10 to 12 hours. You could burn wood too but probably only good for 2 or 3 hours. We used these stoves when we had a few hundred new chicks in the brooder. Would be perfect for an outfitters tent if weight isn't an issue.

The ashes are good to keep too. Ashes are great for traction if you get stuck in snow or ice.

Prairiewolf 10-11-2018 06:48 AM

Drolet Hunter Wood Stove

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dr...-0642893p.html

I think you can buy them at Peavy Mart too.

I use this in my 14x16 wall tent and it does a great job. The flat top is nice (I know you said you don't need to cook on it but its nice to keep coffee warm) and will support an Eco-Fan, which you should definitely also buy.

I can damper this down and almost get a full nights' burn out of it.

FishHunterPro 10-12-2018 09:20 AM

Pellet stove

I bought a pellet burner kit for my cylinder stove and it puts out crazy heat. I’ve never had a chance to burn it in a good sized tent but I’m hitting 700 degrees of the top of the stove and that’s just to hot for my small tent this time of year. I also just burned pellets it a stainless steel barbecue basket I bought at Canadian tire and that worked very well. The trick to getting a good burn though is placing angle iron with holes in them on the bottom of the basket to get good airflow and the pellets will burn to ash completely .

https://i.postimg.cc/FKGmCVXL/66-FF2...B80-F11082.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zBcN8DBD/C20694...F773-D5-B6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/K8PmBy9Q/FAC6-A...3-EE693-F5.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hjpYq229/718-D2...6-A7-F7-D0.jpg

This is the kit I have
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mejC-UTZSDE

Albertadiver 11-10-2018 04:02 PM

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/34900...rrel-stove-kit

Anyone else use one?

cavindish72 11-10-2018 06:31 PM

Deluxe wall tents make one that’s awesome. Get the water tank for the side. Hot water for washing and that first cup of coffee or tea in the am. Bar none.

Drewski Canuck 11-11-2018 01:07 PM

Since 89 been using wood stoves (was that 1889 or 1989 now? gee, I can't remember!!)

Anyways, an inch of sand in the bottom of a 24 inch wood stove, get some lump coal from Dodds Coal, before going to bed, toss on the coal and the wood, get it running and damp it down.

If you do sleep through a burn out, you still wake up to heat, and its just a matter of throwing on more wood.

- 20 C and it is fine, but the real trick to late season camping with a wall tent is insulated poly tarps like the stucco guys use. Leave the front third of the roof tarp free as you have the stove ring and any sparks to deal with.

Back 2/3 you tarp. If you have the room, run a tarp around as much of the walls as you can. Now you can keep it hot in a wall tent. The stove, the sand, the coal is only part of the equation.

Drewki

Demonical 11-11-2018 04:21 PM

We make our own tent stoves.
Cut down a steel 45gal drum, add a take-off on top for your pipe, cut a door... etc...
I just use cheap hinges and bolt the door on.

About $5 for the stove hinges, then maybe $15 for some angle iron to weld up a stand for the stove to sit on.

And put about 2" of sand in the bottom...

glen1971 11-14-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertadiver (Post 3869447)
Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/34900...rrel-stove-kit

Anyone else use one?

I got one for this past trip up north and it was well worth it! It comes in at about 70 pounds and holds the heat well. The only complaint someone had (not our group) was the gap in the door, they felt was excessive. We didn't. We just about kept the air shutter on the front closed and the dampner at 50% and it made it longer than my last airtight stove. I had a collapsible one that broke down into a case for horsebacking, but it got so warped it took 3 of us to set it up.

It drafts really well, and we had no issues getting a fire started.

If you do it, burn it in before putting it in the tent. A couple hours in the back yard did it for me.

I got mine from cabelas.com and picked it up in the states and it was a little cheaper..