Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Common law seperation question (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=352192)

cotang 09-30-2018 12:31 PM

Common law seperation question

Hello,

Had a discussion today with a friend who was going through a commonlaw seperation, he has a kid and he said that he is fine with child support. But he was wondering if he had to split his bank account under his name and shares he has with a company. I said no that different compared to married couples...but im not too sure now. Lol i know asking on the internet for legal advice is not a good thing but its not really advice im looking for. Im wondering form someone exerpeince. Thanks.

.257Weatherby 09-30-2018 12:34 PM

Contact a Lawyer, thats the best advice I can give on the internet.
Its going to be a long road for him.
Rob

wwbirds 09-30-2018 12:35 PM

when a child is born to c/l couple

I believe for all intents and purposes they are considered married under the law but always best to get a legal opinion from a lawyer rather than internet as you say.

Talking moose 09-30-2018 12:37 PM

I believe any gains accumulated after the start of the relationship is split.

Talking moose 09-30-2018 12:38 PM

And I believe your wrong that it’s different than being married.

vcmm 09-30-2018 12:48 PM

"In Alberta, common law couples are legally referred to as “adult interdependent partners”. You are considered to be in a common law relationship after three years of living together. The three year time period is reduced if you have a child together or enter into an adult interdependent partnership" GET A LAWYER!!

lone wolf 09-30-2018 12:48 PM

Lawyer up.

Not sure of the implications of having a child in a common law relationship, but I would assume child support would be required. I believe assets are treated differently but would strongly advise good legal advice before agreeing to anything. Lawyer will run anywhere from $300-$500/hr but they are worth it.

wmd 09-30-2018 12:49 PM

What ever made when common law will be half hers.

raised by wolves 09-30-2018 01:02 PM

Get a lawyer as it will get difficult. Case law made common law marriage the same as legal marriage. And because of a particular case law decision, it only requires the agreement to live together and 24 hours under the same roof.

Ken07AOVette 09-30-2018 01:19 PM

It is no longer absolutely cut and dried 50%.
They will look at who brought what, who had what, who paid what in some cases depending on what they both had at the start of the relationship.
Been there, done that. :)
Get a good lawyer.

drhu22 09-30-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raised by wolves (Post 3848278)
Get a lawyer as it will get difficult. Case law made common law marriage the same as legal marriage. And because of a particular case law decision, it only requires the agreement to live together and 24 hours under the same roof.

Thats a bit hard to believe... source?

skidderman 09-30-2018 02:14 PM

Be careful on the lawyer. There are some good ones but I've recently witnessed some that make me wonder how they made it through high school. Thousands spent and nothing to show for it.

NKP 09-30-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidderman (Post 3848310)
Be careful on the lawyer. There are some good ones but I've recently witnessed some that make me wonder how they made it through high school. Thousands spent and nothing to show for it.

Sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing.

MyAlberta 09-30-2018 05:37 PM

Getting a lawyer is good advice, but you have to manage them. I know a couple, no children, Split down the middle, but they are having troubles with both lawyers closing.

If you have cash in an account and she doesn’t, expect trouble. If you’ve supported her for years, expect to continue at some negotiated amount. If you came into the relationship with value, and she never supported those interests, good chance they will remain yours.

sillyak 09-30-2018 07:30 PM

He needs legal advice, but minimizing lawyers is best if at all possible.

In a bitter fight, the only winners are the lawyers.

roper1 09-30-2018 08:26 PM

This can be rough or smooth, he'll decide that. Period. Get him to write her a cheque right now, tonight even for the first 2 weeks of child support. Pick something fair, write her another cheque dated the 15th, It's his child, his responsibility. Help with some back to school stuff if required.

If he pays upfront responsibly like he should, he can go a long ways toward keeping it civil. I know this!

bloopbloob 09-30-2018 09:40 PM

How civil are they about this? That determines everything.

Red Bullets 10-01-2018 05:34 PM

If things haven't changed too much I believe if the split is mutual and uncontested you can pay a couple hundred bucks to seal the deal.

Child support is a totally separate issue. Child support is decided based on income. Child custody is another matter. Maybe it is better that he keep the child with him and have her pay child support.

350 mag 10-01-2018 08:21 PM

Be NICE.....Lawyer up....TRY and work out a deal to buy her out.

binrat 10-12-2018 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 3848453)
This can be rough or smooth, he'll decide that. Period. Get him to write her a cheque right now, tonight even for the first 2 weeks of child support. Pick something fair, write her another cheque dated the 15th, It's his child, his responsibility. Help with some back to school stuff if required.

If he pays upfront responsibly like he should, he can go a long ways toward keeping it civil. I know this!

And keep documented proof of payment as well.

gtree 10-12-2018 05:11 AM

Get a lawyer