Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Transalta road “range” blocked off? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=368466)

Buckhorn2 08-24-2019 06:22 PM

Transalta road “range” blocked off?

When did the shooting area with the hill backstop get bouldered off? That was one of the “safest” places with a decent backstop. Wheres the next best area to shoot out to 300yards.

The “range” in the subject was supposed to be in quotes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick284 08-24-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 (Post 4018357)
When did the shooting area with the hill backstop get bouldered off? That was one of the “safest” places with a decent backstop. Wheres the next best area to shoot out to 300yards.

Where is this?

SnipeHunter 08-24-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 (Post 4018357)

I was just by there today - hiking, not shooting. My first time down that road actually. I saw the boulders - looked pretty freshly moved by the dirt & scrapes still on them like they were just pulled from the ground. I used to move rocks for a living back on the farm.

But people were over there - not sure what they were doing. There was lots of shooting going on...I assumed it was towards the hill...good backstop...told my daughter not to worry because of all the earth between us on the trail and the bullets...

Maybe they just got tired of people making a mess? Now I guess you have to walk in. Is this really a problem?

Next time I go back, think I'll bring my rifle for plinking...

DiabeticKripple 08-24-2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 4018372)
Where is this?

Waiporous area.

Dubious 08-24-2019 11:03 PM

Not a surprise the “gun ranges” out there are sketchy at best. How long until they give it the McLean creek treatment and make it have a 1km rule there as well. Was this the range close to the horse cabins? I think there has been some issues at the location for some time.

Dolly’s Mom 08-24-2019 11:47 PM

Haven’t been up TransAlta road for a while. Last time I
was there the place was a mess. Shells and targets everywhere. I heard there’s a horse trail somewhere on the hill. Probably why it was blocked off.

cody c 09-06-2019 01:23 PM

i seem to recall it was some horsey people that have trails beyond the backstop hill (quiet well shielded by the geography it seems) but have been the ones to get it closed.

It was a good little place to shoot, till everyone else found it.

There are other spots, but will take longer to drive to.

Watch out if you get down to the river bed, more hikers and I've pulled ticks off me from being down on the river bed (warm spring weather believe it or not), know someone with lyme disease acquired out of that area.

propliner 09-06-2019 08:51 PM

They really trashed that entire area by clearcutting the works. But they gotta keep the little guy out because, well, just because.

FishOutOfWater 09-07-2019 01:03 AM

The area was bouldered-off a couple months ago to prevent motor vehicles from driving in there. The area is not only littered with empty shells/hulls but unmarked/"illegal" trails, and CO's/F&W are cracking down on people who use them.

I have been one of the people who have been calling in these OHV users who come down the main road, or ride right up to your target while you're in the middle of shooting or tear thru while you're hunting (way past the gas shack).

There's new signs up too, if you look... They state there's "No OHV trails beyond this point" (the gas shack), to go along with the existing "No OHVs on road" signs.

hunterr 09-08-2020 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater (Post 4023403)
The area was bouldered-off a couple months ago to prevent motor vehicles from driving in there. The area is not only littered with empty shells/hulls but unmarked/"illegal" trails, and CO's/F&W are cracking down on people who use them.

I have been one of the people who have been calling in these OHV users who come down the main road, or ride right up to your target while you're in the middle of shooting or tear thru while you're hunting (way past the gas shack).

There's new signs up too, if you look... They state there's "No OHV trails beyond this point" (the gas shack), to go along with the existing "No OHVs on road" signs.

last year my friend took me to a "range" about halfway down transalta road on the right (shortly after the gas facility on the right) which blocked car access using multiple big boulders. For the life of me I cant seem to find this place on Google Maps now though, if someone could point it out with a pin it would be greatly appreciated!

Grizzly Adams 09-08-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 4018375)
Waiporous area.

About the most abused part of the West country, along with Mac Clean creek.

Grizz