Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   what licence to buy or wait for harper ??? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=101410)

tallieho 08-14-2011 10:45 AM

what licence to buy or wait for harper ???

need to buy a 22 cal. what do i have to get lic.wise...or should i wait for harper"s promise..thanks

howlin 08-14-2011 10:50 AM

you need a pal,harpers promise to remove the reg has nothing to do with licensing.

deepfried 08-14-2011 10:53 AM

still need the PAL , Harpers promise is only to get rid of the registry of long guns , not the licensing of people to own them

Big Daddy Badger 08-14-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howlin (Post 1045058)
you need a pal,harpers promise to remove the reg has nothing to do with licensing.

You need to earn the right through passing an exam and then pay for a non restricted firearms license... at a minimum.
The long gun registry is a side issue.
Granted... it might be easier to get a 22 under the table if it is lifted but I suspect the hunt for unlicensed people with firearms and the sentences if they are caught/convicted will both be upped to discourage that.

Here is a link to help you get started.

http://www.firearmscanada.com/canadi...y_courses.html

Good Luck.

hillbillyreefer 08-14-2011 11:33 AM

Get an rpal, then you can pick up a restricted when the mood strikes.

CaberTosser 08-14-2011 11:51 AM

As everyone else has already noted, the Conservative's promise to repeal the gun registry has nothing whatsoever to do with repealing a license requirement; that will remain. I think it is this common misconception that has so many firearms haters all riled up; what bugs me is that these uninformed people actually go out and vote with their completely wrong perspectives.:rolleye2:

You will need a Posession & Acquisition License to legally get a firearm. To sell one to another person privately (and legally) you will have to check that they have a license, but nobody will have to phone the government to notify of the sale. Compare it to selling liquor or cigarettes; you need to check ID to prove proper age, but the sale doesn't need any other government paperwork. Sell smokes or booze to a kid underage and you can be charged, same goes with transferring a firearm to someone unlicensed after the registry is dead.

tallieho 08-14-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 1045105)
As everyone else has already noted, the Conservative's promise to repeal the gun registry has nothing whatsoever to do with repealing a license requirement; that will remain. I think it is this common misconception that has so many firearms haters all riled up; what bugs me is that these uninformed people actually go out and vote with their completely wrong perspectives.:rolleye2:

You will need a Posession & Acquisition License to legally get a firearm. To sell one to another person privately (and legally) you will have to check that they have a license, but nobody will have to phone the government to notify of the sale. Compare it to selling liquor or cigarettes; you need to check ID to prove proper age, but the sale doesn't need any other government paperwork. Sell smokes or booze to a kid underage and you can be charged, same goes with transferring a firearm to someone unlicensed after the registry is dead.

thanks very much for all the info..

elkhunter11 08-14-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

As everyone else has already noted, the Conservative's promise to repeal the gun registry has nothing whatsoever to do with repealing a license requirement; that will remain. I think it is this common misconception that has so many firearms haters all riled up; what bugs me is that these uninformed people actually go out and vote with their completely wrong perspectives
It's misconceptions like this that make wonder how so many people are getting PALs, without even knowing the difference between the licensing of people, and the registration system. Are these basic concepts not being taught in the courses, or are people just not paying attention.

Bushrat 08-14-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 1045172)
Are these basic concepts not being taught in the courses, or are people just not paying attention.

They pay attention just long enough to get the licence, then it's all out the window. Same as people pay attention to drivers licence instruction courses and testing as is commonly indicated by the thousands of licenced idiots driving on our highways.