Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fishing at Campbell River and Staying at Pacific Playground (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=388704)

HuyFishin 10-09-2020 01:09 PM

Fishing at Campbell River and Staying at Pacific Playground

I had the chance to stay 3 nights at pacific playground resort and marina.
I Highly recommend the stay. The area as beautiful and the fishing is out of this world! So far I have Part 1 and 2 Edited and uploaded as of right now.
Total of 4 episodes. Enjoy the videos!

Part 1 (introduction and tour of my cottage)
https://youtu.be/8qHZQf3g6BI

Part 2 (prefishing day)
https://youtu.be/YIqvZt1_aUk

Let me know what you guys think!

58thecat 10-11-2020 09:36 AM

Orca bait is what a yak is.....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Thx for another great vid....this information is awesome....a little island time is good time!

Keep'em coming.

liar 10-11-2020 11:09 AM

Nice , thanks for sharing and rubbing in what i am missing !

HuyFishin 10-11-2020 12:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNx...re=em-comments

This is episode 3!! Thank you for watching.

I hope this video inspires more people to try out the kayak derby's in western canada! They are not expensive to join and such a blast.

Talking moose 10-11-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuyFishin (Post 4246234)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNx...re=em-comments

This is episode 3!! Thank you for watching.

I hope this video inspires more people to try out the kayak derby's in western canada! They are not expensive to join and such a blast.

Let us know what was in your email when you get it. Interesting stuff!

HuyFishin 10-11-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 4246335)
Let us know what was in your email when you get it. Interesting stuff!

I'm very excited to find out where the chinook came from. Could have come from oregon or alaska!

Exciting stuff!

58thecat 10-12-2020 10:44 AM

just had time to watch the third episode...another thumbs up...looks like a great time.

SNAPFisher 10-13-2020 07:28 AM

Good videos!

Great way to showcase how fishing from a kayak works. I'm not sure I'm in for the kayaking style of fishing...at least on the ocean. Looks a bit awkward at times as well. Wait until you hook into a decent hali. You might be going for a ride. :)
Having nothing to rest the rod on for a bigger fish like a hali would be a tough one for me. Those things are back breakers at the best of times.

HuyFishin 10-13-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 4247135)
Good videos!

Great way to showcase how fishing from a kayak works. I'm not sure I'm in for the kayaking style of fishing...at least on the ocean. Looks a bit awkward at times as well. Wait until you hook into a decent hali. You might be going for a ride. :)
Having nothing to rest the rod on for a bigger fish like a hali would be a tough one for me. Those things are back breakers at the best of times.

i've ordered a couple new kayaks in for next season. Hopefully I can take some members on here for test drives.

Elchinodiablo 10-13-2020 08:49 PM

Super fun!!! Can I ask you about the average cost of trip out there? And do they they have boat rentals for people who just want to sit and fish like that. I am not one for ocean swells but this spot looks exactly like what I been dreaming of. Send part 4!!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

liar 10-13-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuyFishin (Post 4247214)
i've ordered a couple new kayaks in for next season. Hopefully I can take some members on here for test drives.

I bough a couple smaller kayaks a few years ago and have used them around here .If you were willing to take a newbie out and show me the ropes i would definitely come along for a few days next season .

Jigsalot 10-13-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuyFishin (Post 4247214)

I would be into that. I’m game anytime

HuyFishin 10-14-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo (Post 4247661)
Super fun!!! Can I ask you about the average cost of trip out there? And do they they have boat rentals for people who just want to sit and fish like that. I am not one for ocean swells but this spot looks exactly like what I been dreaming of. Send part 4!!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about if pacific playground has boat rentals but I know Oak Bay Marina and pedder bay marina on the south end of the island offers boat rentals for 35 dollars per hour. Fits 4 men but comfortable with 3. The swells are on and off depending on the day. So its kind of hit and miss!

https://youtu.be/iv1t5XBoNoE

Enjoy Part 4!

HuyFishin 10-14-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liar (Post 4247710)
I bough a couple smaller kayaks a few years ago and have used them around here .If you were willing to take a newbie out and show me the ropes i would definitely come along for a few days next season .

definitely! I am looking forward to next open water season already. Keep in touch!

HuyFishin 10-14-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsalot (Post 4247726)
I would be into that. I’m game anytime

Awesome! I will let everyone know once i'm ready to take everyone out for fishing/test drives!

looking forward to it

Jigsalot 10-14-2020 02:44 PM

Cool. Might run into you this winter at Calling. I’m there at least once a week.

Sigmet 10-16-2020 11:11 AM

What kayak brand/model do you use? I've been looking at replacing my Lund with a couple kayaks. So far the Pelican Catch 130 with Hydryve 2 is leading for me, not sure what the wife will end up with. Any advice is appreciated. Checked out your blog, good info so far, keep it coming.

58thecat 10-16-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigmet (Post 4249205)
What kayak brand/model do you use? I've been looking at replacing my Lund with a couple kayaks. So far the Pelican Catch 130 with Hydryve 2 is leading for me, not sure what the wife will end up with. Any advice is appreciated. Checked out your blog, good info so far, keep it coming.

the price is definitely right to see if this type of angling is something you like to do.....others go up real quick in price so this being your first its not a bad idea.

I went with this Pelican Strike 120X Angler Kayak.....might upgrade but no time soon as I am having fun with what I got right now.....good luck.

58thecat 10-16-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuyFishin (Post 4248034)
I'm not sure about if pacific playground has boat rentals but I know Oak Bay Marina and pedder bay marina on the south end of the island offers boat rentals for 35 dollars per hour. Fits 4 men but comfortable with 3. The swells are on and off depending on the day. So its kind of hit and miss!

https://youtu.be/iv1t5XBoNoE

Enjoy Part 4!

rock fish better than no fish:)

HuyFishin 10-16-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigmet (Post 4249205)

I currently Have a Jackson Kayak big tuna and a Perception Pescador Pilot 12.
I also have an Oldtown Sportsman 106 PDL and an Oldtown Bigwater 132 PDL on order. Supposed to recieve them around early spring. They all have pro's and cons. I would say there is no such thing and a 100% perfect kayak. However a higher end brand of kayak is always gonna be more enjoyable and stable. I worry about the hydryve system since its basically a Hobie Knock off which probably will not perform like a hobie. Too much moving parts in a pedal drive you may have a hard time finding parts for.

If you were going to choose a budget kayak (cheapest route) I would go with a pelican that has no pedal drive. Because your paddle is probably going to be more reliable then that drive. If you want to move up to a pedal system then the CHEAPEST kayak with a drive you can trust a little more would be the RIOT MAKO 10 which is around 1800 from racksforcars in edmonton. Next step up will be the Perception Pescador pilot 12 which can be found at aquabatics for 2400+gst.

The only reason why I am recommending any kayak except for the Pelicans is because its not Rotomolded Plastic. Higher end manufacturers use plastic powder poured into a mold, heated and rotated to form a complete, one-piece kayak.

A Pelican is 2 pieces of ABS molded separately top and bottom. The hull and deck is then joined together afterwards. Which is why its one of my last choices.

I would much rather buy a jackson kayak Bite or an Oldtown Sportsman 106 with no PDL for around 1200 dollars. They are higher quality rotomolded kayaks that are even couple inches wider then the pelican catch 130 which will help with stability when you want to stand.

HuyFishin 10-16-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4249217)
rock fish better than no fish:)

You're right! I just got a little spoiled the days before!

Smoky buck 10-16-2020 02:47 PM

Maybe I am strange but I enjoy a good day of catching rockfish over salmon myself. You can catch so many different species of rockfish and they look cool. Plus I think they taste better then salmon

I enjoyed that last video:happy0034:

Sigmet 10-16-2020 03:33 PM

Thanks for the information Huy, appreciate it and will definitely keep looking.

58thecat 10-16-2020 03:49 PM

A Pelican is 2 pieces of ABS molded separately top and bottom. The hull and deck is then joined together afterwards. Which is why its one of my last choices.….hmmmm depends I guess on the koolaid we or you drink in general some say this design is structurally sound and the best.....gotta hate the guy who runs a ugly stick rod too but hey gets the job done with little to no issues...but at the end of the day its the OP's bank account...if he/she wants to fork out a lot of cash for something just getting into then so be it....I always say experiment with what's out there and find your niche not someone else's aaaaaand do it so your not pouring a poop load of cash into...at first.

kc_okotoks 02-07-2021 02:24 PM

thanks. really appreciate your YouTube videos. I used to fish out of campbell river a lot but always with a guide . never thought to just sit and jig . Now I need to go back and give that a try .