Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting Read On Wild Pigs (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=363894)

45-70sapper 05-15-2019 02:30 PM

Interesting Read On Wild Pigs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nada-1.5136431

Note the dispersal maps.

UngulateMeatEater 05-15-2019 02:56 PM

I would like to help with this problem I love pork. If anyone knows where they are hiding somewhere around edmonton pm me and I’ll make a few disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trochu 05-15-2019 03:13 PM

"Spread rapidly across Canada".... I've never seen one, or know of anyone who has.

Grizzly Adams 05-15-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 3976610)
"Spread rapidly across Canada".... I've never seen one, or know of anyone who has.

It's pretty hit and miss and they are nocturnal, but they are out there.

Grizz

Sooner 05-15-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

I haven't either until they showed up at a friends family farm. Hanging out in a low ravine of trees and swamp, surrounded by fields. Friend put up cameras but never got any during the day. Months later they showed up again and plans were made to go out the next day.

I was there when a sow and a piglet were taken. 6 good sized piglets lived plus another sow and her 6 youngins. So yummy. They were never spotted in that field again and now the hutterites own the land.

Before anyone asks, this was more than 5 yrs ago. Give you a hint, sec highway 757 and 18 was close by :)

I would love to harvest a couple one day.

6.5 shooter 05-15-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Sooo ?? therefore it must not be true ???

I saw them 20 years ago around Brooks. An old farmer got in financial trouble, opened the doors and set them all free (the Russian ones) ... Kinda like all the wild/tame rabbits in NW Calgary...City bought the guys land he opened the hutches and set all his little furry friends free....

Talking moose 05-15-2019 10:10 PM

Used to see them fairly regular. Deadwood area up by Manning. Probably even more there now.

artie 05-16-2019 06:21 AM

Was wondering if they are pretty aggressive as I saw old stories of them chasing guys up a tree in the states. Seems to me I remember the guy in B.C. who killed some women fed their bodies to the pigs. Not sure if that is or is not true.

jcrayford 05-16-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artie (Post 3976862)
Was wondering if they are pretty aggressive as I saw old stories of them chasing guys up a tree in the states. Seems to me I remember the guy in B.C. who killed some women fed their bodies to the pigs. Not sure if that is or is not true.

Some "light" reading for you.... Robert Pickton

It's Wikipedia, so take some of it with a grain of salt - but it gives some background.

J.

Dean2 05-16-2019 07:25 AM

It would appear that the bar for being classed a "DISASTER" is getting set lower and lower. The range has expanded but according to the only guy doing much research in Canada they really have no idea what the population is. A few thousand pigs spread over a huge area is a whole bunch different than 5 million pigs like they have in Texas.

Talking moose 05-16-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3976886)
It would appear that the bar for being classed a "DISASTER" is getting set lower and lower. The range has expanded but according to the only guy doing much research in Canada they really have no idea what the population is. A few thousand pigs spread over a huge area is a whole bunch different than 5 million pigs like they have in Texas.

And it will never get to the point Texas is in either. Canada is a different game. -40 weather, 3 feet of snow, wolves, black bears, grizzlies, cougars.........I see no explosion happening up here like Texas.

Trochu 05-16-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter (Post 3976781)
Sooo ?? therefore it must not be true ???

I saw them 20 years ago around Brooks. An old farmer got in financial trouble, opened the doors and set them all free (the Russian ones) ... Kinda like all the wild/tame rabbits in NW Calgary...City bought the guys land he opened the hutches and set all his little furry friends free....

Of course not, just seems like a bit of exaggeration to get a click on the headline. See your own post...

Rook 05-16-2019 10:20 AM

Not much wonder there is now estimated more pigs in Sask than people. The government has them listed as exotic species. Only Saskatchewan residents can hunt them and they must be hunted under the same laws and restrictions as all other big game. That's not an eradication program, its turning a blind eye.

NSDucknut 05-16-2019 12:59 PM

Hunting makes the problem bigger- it gives them value.

Give the meateater podcast ep. 115 a listen- very enlightening and dispels a lot of myths

Bock Fever 05-16-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSDucknut (Post 3977062)
Hunting makes the problem bigger- it gives them value.

Give the meateater podcast ep. 115 a listen- very enlightening and dispels a lot of myths

Oh yeah they've become a novelty down there and I'm sure up here in parts as well. If it was really an issue it wouldn't be such a secret where they exist. And I fully agree with you, hunting is not a solution to eradication if that were to ever be the goal.

270person 05-16-2019 05:48 PM

I see lots of them. Mostly at Costco and Wal-Mart.

mediumrare 05-16-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rook (Post 3976985)
Not much wonder there is now estimated more pigs in Sask than people. The government has them listed as exotic species. Only Saskatchewan residents can hunt them and they must be hunted under the same laws and restrictions as all other big game. That's not an eradication program, its turning a blind eye.

Wild board are classed as unprotected in sask and can be hunted without a licence by sask residents.never seen one in my travels but I'd love to shoot one.

Gary K 05-23-2019 12:10 PM

as a albertan that moved to texas. let me help spread the light on these "not seeing them, must not be here folk"

i drive all over the state, i spend a ton of time rural and on highways. while you do see the occasional roadkill one. its pretty rare to see them around during the day. ive only ever seen them early morning under a deer feeder.

if theres no feed, they stick to thick brush rooting around and youll never see em.

NCC 05-27-2019 07:11 AM

I’ve been to Texas every winter for ~20 years. In my opinion, there were way more pigs there in 1998 than there are now and I think night vision scopes are the biggest reason with helicopter hunting coming in second. One fellow I know killed over 50 in a night with an ATV, night vision and a pistol and we’ve killed between 20-30 per night with one AR-15 equipped with a Gen 3 scope. Helicopter hunting can kill every pig on a property. Dog hunting can kill a lot of pigs if done right. I think there is a zero percent chance of wild pigs ever becoming anything more than a localized nuisance in Alberta. Pig hunting in Texas is big business and the pig population could be severely reduced in a year if people really wanted to.

CNP 05-27-2019 09:04 AM

According to the map SK is being overrun.