Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ruffies drumming (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230427)

Alberta Bigbore 09-16-2014 07:52 AM

Ruffies drumming

Was up in stand last night and could hear many ruffies drumming last night. Hope thats a good sign... but isnt it early?

buckmaster 09-16-2014 08:05 AM

It was probably you drumming on something else....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

super7mag 09-16-2014 08:15 AM

Lefty's story in the funny things heard thread left me musing over being young and back on the farm. I was 10 or so maybe younger maybe a bit older but not much. I had to walk down the ol lane way to the bus about 200 yrds of so, the quater across the road had a good section of bush . Our nearest neighbor was a 1/2 mile as the crow flys. Anyways I come home from school and cornered the old man I said " you had better go up to so and so's and help him get that chainsaw running I heard him this morning pulling and pulling it would almost go then die" I got off the bus and he's still trying to get it started..
Took Dad awhile to figure out what the hell I was talking about but when he clued in it sure made him laugh!!! We still laugh about it every fall when we hear the first saw trying to start.

walking buffalo 09-16-2014 08:18 AM

Can't blame a guy for trying.....

FishHunterPro 09-16-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 2551032)
Was up in stand last night and could hear many ruffies drumming last night. Hope thats a good sign... but isnt it early?

I mentioned this to my hunting pal and he said he spoke to a biologist once about the ruffies drumming in the fall. He said it has to do with the amount of sunlight we get in a day , right now we get about the same sunlight as spring when the ruffies start rutting lol, so it gets the males going.

colroggal 09-16-2014 09:51 AM

They've gone and spent the spring and summer as full blown studs. Now they're stiff and sore and plain done in. In the spring the drumming is telling the ladies to come get some. In the fall they're saying jeez, just shoot me already. I need the rest.:)

Colin

Alberta Bigbore 09-16-2014 11:15 AM

Lol

biggmac 09-16-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colroggal (Post 2551136)
They've gone and spent the spring and summer as full blown studs. Now they're stiff and sore and plain done in. In the spring the drumming is telling the ladies to come get some. In the fall they're saying jeez, just shoot me already. I need the rest.:)

Colin

Now that is funny.

Mark Huff 09-19-2014 10:20 PM

nice, I know just how they feel :)

Grizzly Adams 09-20-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishHunterPro (Post 2551074)
I mentioned this to my hunting pal and he said he spoke to a biologist once about the ruffies drumming in the fall. He said it has to do with the amount of sunlight we get in a day , right now we get about the same sunlight as spring when the ruffies start rutting lol, so it gets the males going.

You're suggesting that they're not too smart ? :lol:

Grizz

Jadham 09-20-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishHunterPro (Post 2551074)

In the area I hunt we also had melting snow...