Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Two tags, one license (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404503)

FishClimbHunt 10-21-2021 04:49 PM

Two tags, one license

Put in for antlerless mule deer in 136 and was drawn. I got this license last year and it came with one tag.

This year when I went and bought the license they gave me two tags. I find this unusual. is this something anyone has seen before or should I call fish and game to clarify?

slough shark 10-21-2021 04:54 PM

That’s a fairly normal thing for a lot of zones, be prepared to see your mule deer population take a kick to the teeth. They’re looking to reduce the population almost across southern Alberta by a significant amount.

tikka250 10-21-2021 07:08 PM

Yup in 200 and 202 they did that last year already. They wouldn't even let me buy just one I had to get both.

slough shark 10-21-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikka250 (Post 4428864)
Yup in 200 and 202 they did that last year already. They wouldn't even let me buy just one I had to get both.

At least it doesn’t cost more to get 2 tags, you also don’t have to shoot both

FishClimbHunt 10-22-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slough shark (Post 4428835)
That’s a fairly normal thing for a lot of zones, be prepared to see your mule deer population take a kick to the teeth. They’re looking to reduce the population almost across southern Alberta by a significant amount.

Huh, I'm guessing it has something to do with curbing/slowing CWD? Odd that there isn't mandatory submission this year. Last year it was mandatory for my muley in that zone. I'll submit my heads anyways if it helps produce better data for the provincial biologists.

slough shark 10-22-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishClimbHunt (Post 4428993)
Huh, I'm guessing it has something to do with curbing/slowing CWD? Odd that there isn't mandatory submission this year. Last year it was mandatory for my muley in that zone. I'll submit my heads anyways if it helps produce better data for the provincial biologists.

Yeah it’s part of their cwd program, I guess the bios plan of a dead deer won’t get cwd is in full force. My guess is the reason it isn’t mandatory everywhere in the cwd zone is they already know it’s in certain wmu’s they want to make it mandatory where they want to see how far it’s spread as well as test a few more established wmu’s to see how bad it is. That being said I submit my heads every year.

buckman 10-23-2021 01:06 PM

Let the slaughter begin The Mule deer will suffer big time after this years cull.

As far as I am aware the removal of deer through culling hasn't stopped the spread of CWD.

It may be the beginning of the end of our once vibrant herds of Mule deer,either through CWD killing them, or reduction through taking out the does.

raised by wolves 10-23-2021 02:22 PM

Double tags on does was common in 108. There were a few years during which three tags were given on a draw.

Troutguy 10-29-2021 08:50 AM

Two tags

I was drawn for antlerless mule deer special in zone 158. I also got the two tags when I bought it. I noticed that it is for the first year in a while not mandatory to submit the heads in this zone. I have never had a positive test on my previous submissions. I will still submit the head for testing. Given the opportunity I have not decided if I will take two does or just one. Be safe and
have fun out there.

ghostguy6 10-29-2021 09:01 AM

So is there a list of what zones come with 2 tags? I can only find supplemental whitetails only having 2 tags. I was drawn for antlerless mule deer in the 200's and am wondering if I should have gotten 2 tags. Not that I plan on filling the second anyways, just curious.

Hunter4ever12 10-29-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 4432192)
So is there a list of what zones come with 2 tags? I can only find supplemental whitetails only having 2 tags. I was drawn for antlerless mule deer in the 200's and am wondering if I should have gotten 2 tags. Not that I plan on filling the second anyways, just curious.

I only got one for 203 as well,think it’s just the 100’s that got two tags.

DiabeticKripple 10-29-2021 03:33 PM

this topic was discussed a few months ago in this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=401743

cheese&quackers 10-30-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 4432192)

Hubby got 2 tags in 250. I got one in 508. We called F&G they said it was an extra lottery in select zones for 2 tags. Not everyone got 2. Didn't provide a list of which zones.

Sent from my SM-N981W using Tapatalk

lone wolf 10-30-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4429585)
Let the slaughter begin The Mule deer will suffer big time after this years cull.

As far as I am aware the removal of deer through culling hasn't stopped the spread of CWD.

It may be the beginning of the end of our once vibrant herds of Mule deer,either through CWD killing them, or reduction through taking out the does.

100% agree. Sad state of affairs.

buckman 10-30-2021 09:50 AM

I would ask all hunters with 2 doe tags to consider only using one of them.If you want a future quality hunt for bucks, it may be the only way of preventing the demise of the population in the 100 zones.

Ask yourself what is more important,50lbs of venison or the culling of another doe.

calgarychef 10-30-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4432684)
I would ask all hunters with 2 doe tags to consider only using one of them.If you want a future quality hunt for bucks, it may be the only way of preventing the demise of the population in the 100 zones.

Ask yourself what is more important,50lbs of venison or the culling of another doe.

I think if hunters don’t take them they’ll pull out the guns and slaughter them in the new year anyway. CWD is a problem without an answer.
Even worse is they’re talking about hunt farms again…unbelievable.