Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sask. outfitter receives lifetime hunting ban (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333936)

bat119 11-23-2017 12:25 PM

Sask. outfitter receives lifetime hunting ban

A Saskatchewan hunter has been banned from hunting for life after pleading guilty to seven charges including outfitting without a licence.
Steven Bullock, 36, of Langham, Sask., ran an illegal outfitting company called In The Stix Bear Camp,*advertising bear hunts on social media since 2015.
Conservation officer Kevin Harrison says Bullock is the first person in the province to receive the lifetime suspension under the new regulations that came into effect in July 2015.
Charges included "outfitting and advertising without a licence, exceeding the possession limit of fish, breaching a 10-year firearms prohibition order, possession of firearms without a possession acquisition licence, and two counts of falsifying hunting/outfitting licences."
In addition to the ban on hunting, Bullock was fined $16,080, given a three-year firearms prohibition*and must contact a conservation officer prior to accompanying anyone who will be hunting. **
The lifetime ban means he can't apply for or obtain a big game licence, game bird licence or fur licence. The ban works on a three strikes system —*those convicted on three separate occasions for wildlife offences automatically receive a ban.

:sHa_shakeshout:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ting-1.4415982

stuckincity 11-23-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3673965)
The ban works on a three strikes system — those convicted on three separate occasions for wildlife offences automatically receive a ban.

:sHa_shakeshout:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ting-1.4415982

How about a few years in jail too.

58thecat 11-23-2017 12:39 PM

Does this pertain to all provinces to? Hopefully so.

bat119 11-23-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 3673977)

I was wondering the same thing what if the D bag moves next door? It should be nation wide I hope.

ghostguy6 11-23-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 3673965)
breaching a 10-year firearms prohibition order, possession of firearms without a possession acquisition licence,

Id say there should be some jail time involved for these two criminal charges.

Glad to see the government is finally cracking down on the repeat offenders.

BuckCuller 11-23-2017 02:37 PM

All I have to say is:

About time the sentence matched the crime!
A bigger fine would have been nice though.

The Cook 11-23-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 3673977)

Pretty sure if you lose hunting privileges in one province you cannot hunt in other provinces
but it's not enforced as there is no central database. Remember the Alberta guide that moved to BC. only got found out because he was guiding without a licence

http://www.theprogress.com/news/chil...ible-sanctions

Pioneer2 11-23-2017 05:25 PM

People

Jump Provinces to avoid impaireds. Do you you for a minute he thinks any law applies to him.

BCSteel 11-23-2017 05:31 PM

He had no licences to begin with, what is banning him from obtaining licences supposed to accomplish?

Sounds like he just ended up paying for all of his licences at once.

bucksman 11-23-2017 11:20 PM

Another outfitter just got charged for hunting elsewhere while suspended and received a $10,000 fine :thinking-006: see if this guy tries it

saskbooknut 11-24-2017 05:20 AM

While I applaud the lifetime ban, it is apparent that scofflaws are not held back much by legal sanction.
The lifetime ban makes him ineligible for a license in many US States and Canadian Provinces, but I do not believe that there is effective information sharing between jurisdictions yet.

The Spank 11-24-2017 05:40 AM

I knew a fellow in Ontario, a friend of a friend who was caught and convicted for shooting a deer decoy from his vehicle at 2:30 am travelling a bush road from a neighbouring camp after a visit. Lost his hunting license for three years, drivers license for 1 for impaired and had to forfeit his rifle and vehicle to the crown. It never stopped him from hunting or driving. He went to camp each year in an old beater GMC Blazer instead of his newer vehicle and bought a cheap rifle instead of chancing losing another 300WM Browning BAR. I can recall him telking us at our mutual friends birthday party the best part of being suspended was no longer having to apply for tags, just shoot what you see. If they are breaking the laws before being caught and charged they will continue afterward as well imo.

walleye guy 11-24-2017 07:49 AM

hunter

FYI Bat119 hes not a hunter 100% poacher

thumper 11-24-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walleye guy (Post 3674518)

x2 Thanks for that Walleye. We should get out of the habit of calling poachers 'hunters', even 'illegal hunter'.
It's like calling a rapist an 'illegal lover'.

bat119 11-24-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walleye guy (Post 3674518)

Don't shoot the messenger I copied the article off CBC, I would use words like convict, poacher and others not allowed on the AO.

Feel free to voice your concerns to the CBC news.

Grump 11-24-2017 12:09 PM

I love this - I've got 0 tolerance for people that decide that they're above the rules. Makes it that much harder for those of us that play by them.

walleye guy 11-24-2017 12:50 PM

just trying to make a point

In no way was trying to offend anyone, Just saying that when we hear story's about so called "hunters" breaking the law, we need to interject and tell people they aren't hunters, but call them what they are criminals and or poachers!

Jayhad 11-24-2017 01:25 PM

He already had a 10 year firearms prohibition that he didn't abide by, do you really think giving him another 3 years is going to deter this clown..... this guy will be poaching in less than 10 months

Mr Conservation 11-24-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 3674714)
He already had a 10 year firearms prohibition that he didn't abide by, do you really think giving him another 3 years is going to deter this clown..... this guy will be poaching in less than 10 months

Probably poaching again in less than 10 days :mad0100:

Would be nice to have the different jurisdictions share more information about the serial poachers. Would be even better to have a national database for sharing the information, and laws in place to prohibit a convicted poacher from applying for licences in a neighbouring province.

I have heard that people who are convicted of wildlife and fisheries offences, and have prohibitions in place can be entered on the CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) system. That would allow any law enforcement officer, including Conservation Officers or Fish and Wildlife Officers, who have access to CPIC to know about the prohibitions.

Mr Conservation

Northern5 11-25-2017 12:57 PM

Wow. Some people. The few ruin it for the many. We all know the rules, why not just follow them and not have the anxiety of looking over your shoulder all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk