Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who calls in spring black bears? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=379727)

Jutang243 04-13-2020 03:15 PM

Who calls in spring black bears?

So who all calls in spring black bears? Which calls have you found to be most effective?

Thinking I might give it a whirl this spring...

Dewey Cox 04-13-2020 03:47 PM

If you can find a call that sounds like a dozen day old doughnuts, I think that would be the ticket.

Smoky buck 04-13-2020 03:54 PM

I mostly use calls to bring in bears I have already spotted in the distance but are in a bad position to stalk. I have had very little results blind calling

Fawns and rabbit in distress calls work

buckman 04-13-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4149287)
I mostly use calls to bring in bears I have already spotted in the distance but are in a bad position to stalk. I have had very little results blind calling

Fawns day rabbit in distress calls work

Had this work for me also. I think if you set up in an area with sign you could probably call them in blind,worth a try. I mostly see bears when the day has warmed up into the teens.

Osky 04-13-2020 06:41 PM

I find an elk calf call to be best even here in Minnesota where we do not have elk. A fawn bleat works very well also. Be cautious if you call in bush, bears are incredibly good at getting in unseen.

Osky

Jutang243 04-14-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osky (Post 4149475)
I find an elk calf call to be best even here in Minnesota where we do not have elk. A fawn bleat works very well also. Be cautious if you call in bush, bears are incredibly good at getting in unseen.

Osky

This sounds like a good idea. Will probably try this if I see one. I don't think calling blind will be very effective in our area.

I guess you never know though...

catnthehat 04-14-2020 08:11 AM

I used to look forward to calling bears every year, I used a cub distress call often when I knew there were bears in the area .
Two issues with using the distress call of a young prey animal or the distress call of a cub are
A: if you have a boar in the area hS is going to be coming in to a dinner bell .
B: if there is a sow in the era with Cubs she nay just send them up s tree then come in to help out what she thinks may be a lost cub or or come in to lay a beating on whatever is about to harm said cub!:budo:
Either way , these situations tend to invite trouble and arevless than desirable to anyone but a young and crazy Hunter with a longbow or caplock muzzle loader!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
After my wife and I had the kids I decided that spotting and stalking was a better alternative....
Cat

ceadog 04-14-2020 08:37 AM

Remi Warren's recent podcast on calling was interesting - he's found that he's gotta call for 45-60 minutes nearly continuously to get someone to show. That's a hell of a long time to blow on a call.

Smoky buck 04-14-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceadog (Post 4149747)
Remi Warren's recent podcast on calling was interesting - he's found that he's gotta call for 45-60 minutes nearly continuously to get someone to show. That's a hell of a long time to blow on a call.

Even when calling bears that are spotted at a distance first you need to be aggressive on the call or they don’t come all the way in

And like catnthehat mentioned you are ringing a dinner bell so be on your toes. They seem to either sneak in or come in fast. This can make things interesting at times

Grizzly Adams 04-14-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osky (Post 4149475)

Osky

Not to mention, you don't have the big brown ones there. :D

Grizz

Smoky buck 04-14-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 4149782)
Not to mention, you don't have the big brown ones there. :D

Grizz

Grizzlies are way more fun to call too bad Alberta has not reopened the hunt

KegRiver 04-14-2020 11:36 AM

I have had mixed results up here using a number of different sounds and call manufacturers.

I find the fawn distress call works best of the sounds I have available. I don't have bear cub or elk sounds or calls.

I find that as often as not they run for the hills at the first call. I suspect because of the number of Wolves in the area.
I suspect that the ones that run have responded to a call in the past and found a Wolf on a fresh kill that was very protective of it's kill.

Moosetalker 04-14-2020 11:52 AM

Elk call works I have had too many show up in fall looking for a meal.

Jays toyz 04-14-2020 12:56 PM

Remi Warren had a great podcast recently about calling bears. It jives with my experience calling bears. We had one come in to a calf Elk distress last year. It seems to take them a while to decide to come in. I will definitely be trying it again this spring.

I love Cutting The Distance with Remi Warren | Ep. 34: Calling Bears in New Mexico and Essential Tactics for Filling Your Spring Tag, let's play it!
https://www.podbean.com/ea/dir-nxsgf-877cce5

Remi Warren is a hunting God

Albertadiver 04-14-2020 01:21 PM

Province just shut down ALL OHV access and fires to Crown land....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...92#post4149992

catnthehat 04-14-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertadiver (Post 4149995)
Province just shut down ALL OHV access and fires to Crown land....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...92#post4149992

Not up here , the staging areas all hVe vehicles in them and the mirgjnour just hit back with his SxS and family from an outing :confused:

Cat

Osky 04-14-2020 08:13 PM

I liken the calling of bears to calling cats. Bobcats here are probably a 40 minute average time to shooting distance when called. We can only fall hunt but I have called them in the early summer for kicks and I do think they respond faster then however when the breeding kicks in heavy in June all bets are off.
In this country there are tons of deer stands in the bush and most people who build them clear some good shooting lanes adjacent. No matter the time of year they make excellent calling positions.

Osky