Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Black Bears / Trichinosis (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=344983)

Briz 05-18-2018 10:56 AM

Black Bears / Trichinosis

I know it's always good to play it safe and cook bear meat to over 160 deg, but does anyone know of somewhere in the Edmonton area I can have my bear meat tested for trichinosis? Or anywhere else in Alberta?

sns2 05-18-2018 11:51 AM

Give some to your inlaws. Tell em its beef. You will know soon enough:)

Briz 05-18-2018 01:01 PM

Would be a great idea, except I actually like my in-laws lol.

Red Bullets 05-18-2018 03:23 PM

Call the provincial meat inspectors. They do testing for CWD and other things. They will most likely know. Call 310-FARM (3276)

Briz 05-18-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3787312)
Call the provincial meat inspectors. They do testing for CWD and other things. They will most likely know. Call 310-FARM (3276)

Thanks Red

sns2 05-18-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3787209)

I do too. You must have someone at work that is annoying. LOL. Give it to the person who is always asking for sausage.

bucksnbears 05-18-2018 07:16 PM

Liberal BS!

Minnesota started this crap years ago!

I've killed and eaten over 50 bear and know others that shoot n eat plenty.
Never heard of anyone getting it.

glen moa 05-18-2018 07:26 PM

Meat eater got it. Don’t have a link. So look it up.

ESOXangler 05-18-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucksnbears (Post 3787405)
Liberal BS!

Minnesota started this crap years ago!

I've killed and eaten over 50 bear and know others that shoot n eat plenty.
Never heard of anyone getting it.

Oh man...

kujoseto 05-20-2018 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3787209)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briz (Post 3787260)
Would be a great idea, except I actually like my in-laws lol.

Then I'll take some to mine bahaha.
Mind you, a good steak to them is boot leather and over cooked so they wouldn't be a good test. I'd have to serve it medium rare

If you end up getting it tested, please update this thread with where you got it done and what the results are! I think I've read the tongue usually has a high probability of evidence when some other cuts may not on an animal that does have it. Did you happen to keep the tongue?

Grizzly Adams 05-21-2018 11:32 AM

Nowadays, over 90% of U.S. trichinosis cases are attributable to bear meat, though even that number is relatively small and usually includes far fewer people than your average high school classroom. Other known vectors of the disease in recent decades have included mountain lion, wild boar, and even walrus.

Read more: http://www.petersenshunting.com/unca...#ixzz5GA7S0NX7

Grizz

JustBen 05-21-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3788332)
Nowadays, over 90% of U.S. trichinosis cases are attributable to bear meat, though even that number is relatively small and usually includes far fewer people than your average high school classroom. Other known vectors of the disease in recent decades have included mountain lion, wild boar, and even walrus.

Read more: http://www.petersenshunting.com/unca...#ixzz5GA7S0NX7

Grizz

Ah, man! Now you’re telling me I can’t eat medium rare walrus any more?!

elkdump 05-22-2018 10:13 AM

Bears are NATURES 4 legged Walkin Garbage Cans ,

So if you kill one ? You want TO eat it RARE ?

And your concerned about getting a disease ? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dean2 05-22-2018 11:54 AM

All kidding aside, if you find some place that will test them I would be interested. Years ago when we ate lots of bear, my dad had a buddy at the U of A that would test them for us. He retired a few years ago and I doubt that is a regular service they offer.

Out of a couple of dozen bears, only two tested positive. I know certain parts of the states Bears test at almost 100% for Tric. Personally, if one tested positive it would hit the dumpster. The effects of Tric aren't worth the risk.

Prairiewolf 05-22-2018 12:49 PM

Save yourself some time and money - it probably has Trichinella.

Whether the meat has these or not is irrelevant since you should thoroughly cook bear meat anyways (generally 160 deg F internally). If you've done this properly you're completely safe.

Dean2 05-22-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairiewolf (Post 3788778)
Save yourself some time and money - it probably has Trichinella.

Whether the meat has these or not is irrelevant since you should thoroughly cook bear meat anyways (generally 160 deg F internally). If you've done this properly you're completely safe.

Please feel completely free to do exactly as you like. Personally i will happily pay the test costs if I can find a place that will do it. I am old enough to know I am not in fact bullett proof.