Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Walleye on the Fly (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=180474)

wildbill 06-02-2013 12:03 AM

Walleye on the Fly

Anyone here ever specificly target walleye on the fly? Any success stories from south of Calgary, I've already caught my share of trout this year, need a new challenge, I've half heartedly, blindly tried in the past but I wanna check em off the list, I know where to go just don't the technique or patterns as well I think there is like 1 youtube video on this subject, I love being on the fringe, just like being at Henderson today and everyone looks at ya like "what's this retard doing here with his fly rod, there ain't no trout in there" then they seen what I was doin, and them hardware guys are lookin at ya like hey leave some fer us.

pikergolf 06-02-2013 12:13 AM

Fished them lot's in the river years ago, big woolly bugger down deep. Is there anything a woolly bugger won't catch, I think not!!

pikergolf 06-02-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 1988582)
Fished them lot's in the river years ago, big woolly bugger down deep. Is there anything a woolly bugger won't catch, I think not!!

Brings to mind a fish story, hooked a fish on a #2 woolly bugger, fish took of down stream in a slow section. Not crazy fast just run and then stop and then go. I never gained a ft. on whatever it was, right through the backing and straightened the hook. Sturg. maybe, don't know but I don't think I even got his head turned.

Darren N 06-02-2013 08:47 AM

Along with wooley buggers I find a Bow river bugger dragging on the bottom works very well. Sometimes Zonkers.

huntsfurfish 06-02-2013 10:37 AM

PCR should be the place to go, sinking line and streamers.

BGSH 06-02-2013 02:29 PM

I used to fly fish for walleye on the n s r. They love big leech patterns. No need for sinking line as it's a river and shallow as is. You are also going to catch pike we using leech patterns. If you change to ant patterns and fly fish more into the main current of the n s r you are going to get into goldeye.

Calgaryguy1977 06-02-2013 06:17 PM

Ive caught hundreds on this exact clousser minnow under a float
http://www.riverbum.com/images/produ...White-side.jpg

Calgaryguy1977 06-02-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 1988873)
PCR should be the place to go, sinking line and streamers.

This is 110 percent correct....if you use the fly I mentioned and go there and dont get at least 20 an hour then youre probably doing something wrong.

Go under the bridge on the way in or use the dock if possible.

wildbill 06-03-2013 12:53 AM

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, greatly appreciated tight lines!

catnthehat 06-03-2013 05:40 AM

I haven't for a few years, but used to go every year on the opener and fish all night .
One year we had some REALLY big fish, with several new flyfishers, and the action was non stop!
I tie a fly I designed just for pike and walleye, it works great.
The basis of the fly is on a 37140 Mustad
that is bent " Fernandez style" in the vice before dressing and weighted in the belly so it runs with the point up.
This way I can bounce it over logs and rocks on the very bottom with very little issues of getting snagged.

I'll try and get some pics up later on of the flies and some fish.
Some were past 27" and were caught on 6 weight rods .
I normally use a 7 or 8 weight however.
Cat

wildbill 01-08-2017 10:40 PM

Well finally brought myself to read the Barry Mitchell's fishing guide I bought in February because I didn't want to ruin the suprise of the walleye fly fishing article. There was some really good info in there, just wondering if anyone tried any of those methods/techniques/tactics out this past year, I've caught a few in the past the hard way by teaching myself, more or less just to check them off the list, bin skunked anytime I try when I go to the bigger reservoirs down South here, when I'm out with the family, but now I thinking after reading that article that my retrieve and fly placement are out to lunch, must be to used to 6' strips fer gators, probably bin scarin em away! That article was like weasel **** on all the seized rusty cogs, the wheals are a turning, like an old steam engine!

Bjay 01-11-2017 12:45 PM

I use a black and blue marabou fly with a bunch of flash in it on a # 6-3x long hook. When they get picky I would go to a small chartreuse fly on a #8or6 3x long hook. Chartreuse tail and wing from Polar bear or Kip tail with gold or silver body with gold flash in or under the wing. Very simple. Sometimes a red tail.
Keep it simple
BJay