Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   West Coast Fishing (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=167664)

warriorboy10 02-14-2013 12:49 PM

West Coast Fishing

Looking for ideas where to Fish Salmon in June to target Springs.
I have a 26' boat that I will trailer so not interested in going over to the Island at this point. It's not a cabin cruiser so would be day trips. Hopefully a destination that I can get to in one day. Possibly even leave the boat there for the season to return several times.

Gust 02-14-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorboy10 (Post 1848546)
I have a 26' boat that I will trailer so not interested in going over to the Island at this point. It's not a cabin cruiser so would be day trips. Hopefully a destination that I can get to in one day. Possibly even leave the boat there for the season to return several times.

look into the Sunshine Coast, Lund, Sechelt or read through the archived reports on this webpage for what to use and where to go and how deep and such.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/fishingse...shingdiary.htm

and I'm sure you can find somewhere on land to store your boat if needed.

Mike_W 02-14-2013 01:47 PM

Your best bet would be Tofino/Ucluelet that time of year as you will be looking for early migrators making there way to US rivers.

bardfromedson 02-14-2013 02:09 PM

I would head to Rupert. Day trip out of Rupert or you can stay at a floating barge. Big halis and spring in june. Pm me if you want details about the barge. I have caught limits of tyee's on one trip and struggled to find small ones on another trip. Just have to hit the run right. Best is if u can go on short notice when they show up because it might only be great for a few days. I did better on the island last year and am heading there this year because the family is coming. A little more consistant out there in july and august because they get runs from a ton of different rivers so there is always something passing bye. Another option would be run out of Bella coola to a place called shearwater resort. It's a far run but gets good runs and has nice protected waters.

Gust 02-14-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 1848618)
Your best bet would be Tofino/Ucluelet that time of year as you will be looking for early migrators making there way to US rivers.

tricky waters if one isn't familiar with it.

stickfloat 02-14-2013 02:26 PM

Have you operated a boat off the coast....You have to realize its quite a bit different than anything out here. A lot more things to take into consideration.

I agree with Mike about fishing off the island at that time of year, if you are comfortable with it. Tofino and Ucluelet may involve running a ways off shore, and some lumpy conditions. The June fishery for "smilies" the Columbia run is actually decent around Victoria...ie: Pedder Bay, Race Rocks, Becher Bay and Sooke. The fishing in these areas is close to shore and a safe haven is not far off should the weather turn.

If you are set on staying on the mainland, then I agree with what Gust has said.
Other options would be staying around Horseshoe Bay, Bowen Island, Point Atkison and Burard Inlet, although it fishes better into late summer.

Other mainland alternative would be out of Prince Rupert or Kitimat. Either of these may require open water running, definitely take this into consideration.
Be safe.

Jamie 02-14-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorboy10 (Post 1848546)

Warrior.
Come stay at our lodge.
No pulling your boat each and every night.
Same treatment as if you we're a full lodge guest
You can follow my guides out in the AM and fish with them if you wish.
Free local knowledge

It's a great set up that people appreciate.
Get in touch if you are interested.

Jamie

Gust 02-14-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 1848754)
Warrior.
Come stay at our lodge.
Free local knowledge

Jamie

WoW!!! That is some stellar offer.

A bit of a derail, but do you guys have any early seventies tinners kicking about that you don't use anymore at the lodge,, even a leaky one would be great. 16' foot Lund per chance?

Jamie 02-14-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gust (Post 1848873)
WoW!!! That is some stellar offer.

A bit of a derail, but do you guys have any early seventies tinners kicking about that you don't use anymore at the lodge,, even a leaky one would be great. 16' foot Lund per chance?

Gust, sorry no. We do take care of folks that have their own boats, but we can't supply them.
Come out fishing , it's a fantastic experience.

Jamie

Serengeti Charters 02-14-2013 06:14 PM

If island is off limits, Rupert or Kitimat for sure. If possible drive to bella coola then out to Shearwater as well, first two recommendations would be Shearwater then Rupert!

Wild&Free 02-14-2013 07:02 PM

Don't have to run that far out of Rupert to get into the salmon from my recollection. We found them just on the open water side of the islands, about 20-25 minutes from the marina. If you do head to the Northwest, there's also the Work Channel, but the road may be a bit rough, I've never been but know quiet a few who have been, Kitimat is also good around that time of year as well. Though I've heard Kitimat is better later on in the year when the coho run, as the halibut follow them right to the mouth of the river it seems. Saw a good 30lb chicken caught off one of the docks there one summer. Sure beats pulling them up from 200+ feet.

warriorboy10 02-14-2013 07:54 PM

Wife and I took the boat for the first run to Rupert last Aug. Fished 9 days, Work Channel, Dundas, Butterworth Rocks, Lucy, The Brain, Avery and Squatary.
Need some more experience out there though, lots of places to fish and lots to learn. Would go back in a heart beat and probably will. Especially with Jamie's help.

When I purchased my boat it was important to get the latest nav gear. That way we could have the best and safest possible time when we are able to get out.
3) HDS8, Simrad Radar, Navionics, Two way Radio, Scotty downriggers (Really sweet), Auto Pilot, heated cab for the girls (Really Nice for the guys too) and Twin 175 Etecs. The boat handles the bumps very nice out there.

A couple pics of the boat and fishing North Dundas.

Not able to upload pics from Picasa..

Jamie 02-14-2013 09:56 PM

Pleasure speaking with you tonight Warrior.
All that talk about Salmon fishing has me excited again.

Jamie

Jamie 02-14-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild&Free (Post 1848976)
Don't have to run that far out of Rupert to get into the salmon from my recollection. We found them just on the open water side of the islands, about 20-25 minutes from the marina. If you do head to the Northwest, there's also the Work Channel, but the road may be a bit rough, I've never been but know quiet a few who have been, Kitimat is also good around that time of year as well. Though I've heard Kitimat is better later on in the year when the coho run, as the halibut follow them right to the mouth of the river it seems. Saw a good 30lb chicken caught off one of the docks there one summer. Sure beats pulling them up from 200+ feet.

Yes there are some fantastic spots just outside the harbour. That's one of reasons we built the lodge where we did. You are speaking of the hearing ponds. Warrior and I discussed that exact spot on the phone.

Jamie

s_erickson 02-14-2013 10:36 PM

The sunshine coast is awesome if you don't only want to fish (if your bringing your wife and such). I grew up in Powell River and the fishing out front is pretty good, they are even catching hali's down there up to 100lbs now. PM me for some ideal spots. Also hit up Marine Traders if you need any gear or advice on where they have been hitting them (its less then a block away from the dock). If you head a bit farther north to lund you can dock your boat overnight there and stay in the hotel. Lots of good fishing up there and you can rip up desolation sound. If you just want to fish, Rupert is the place, im planning on heading out there this year.

bowhunter12 02-15-2013 06:41 AM

Rupert is good, but i've always found it weather permitting. Don't get me wrong i've had days out there when the water has looked like glass but i've also had days out there when you can't even get out on the water. Kitimat is good, it can also get choppy but I find the fishing isn't as good. My family and I take the ferry across to the Queen Charlottes and fish Skidegate Channel. I think out of the past 8 years we had one day we couldn't get out on the water due to weather. The channel isn't completely sheltered but if the weather does get bad or is bad there are places you can fish and not get the s*** beat out of you. Also there is NO place in the world like the QCI (haida gwaii). Scenary is beautiful, the people are great and the fishing is UNBELIEVEABlE!! The only downside is BC Ferries charges you an arm and a leg if your in an oversized rig. Anyways good luck on your trip where ever you decide to go and post some pics when you get back

This is kinda off topic, but isn't the Halibut season for sport fishing closed this year?

D.

Sundancefisher 02-15-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 1848754)
Warrior.
Come stay at our lodge.
Free local knowledge

Jamie

Awesome offer Jamie.

You are a great guy.

As they say on the dragons den you ain't getting a better offer so don't hesitate!

Good fishing!

warriorboy10 02-15-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 1849291)
Pleasure speaking with you tonight Warrior.
All that talk about Salmon fishing has me excited again.

Jamie

My pleasure Jamie! Great conversation about the area and no kidding doesn't take much for me to get excited to get out fishing again that's for sure!

W.

warriorboy10 02-15-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 1850345)
Awesome offer Jamie.

You are a great guy.

As they say on the dragons den you ain't getting a better offer so don't hesitate!

Good fishing!

Have to talk to the group and see if Ruperts the spot. Everyone has their own ideas about where they want to fish. It's only fair that way.

Scott h 02-15-2013 07:55 PM

If you want to pull your boat to the coast but NOT take a ferry , I would choose Rupert over the Vancouver/ Sunshine coast region every time . While there is good fishing down here it can be very hit and miss and virtually no bottom fish available . The Rupert area is only a few hours more but has much better and consistent fishing . If you were willing to take a ferry that changes things . The Tofino/Uculet area is well worth a look as is the Port hardy region . Or you can go right to the big leagues and jump on the ferry at Rupert and try out the Charlottes :sHa_shakeshout:

warriorboy10 02-15-2013 08:41 PM

One Day I will get to Bella Coola then over to Shearwater. And then over to the Island, just not this year I don't think. Although it wouldn't take much arm twisting to make it happen, just a little extra time.

Thanks to all for their valued info!! So many great places, so little time!!

W.

bardfromedson 02-16-2013 03:42 PM

If its the ferry cost that's keeping u from going to van island I think the cost was about 500 return last year for my truck and 23 ft boat. Went to tofino ad had a lot easier time getting on the fish than Rupert. Lots of great offshore within a half hour run from shore. Also some good inshore if it gets lumpy outside. We stayed at tofino swell lodge. Sweet set up. There's a big shared kitchen to make your meals. Tons of freezer room for fish. Hot tub overlooking the water, nice big yard with BBQ facilities , private dock to keep your boat, great people that run it. The owner is also a charter captain and will point u in the right direction.

I love the beauty of the northern coast but Rupert is a bit of a dump of a town if your spending any time on shore. I will go back again but but for an all around trip when you consider lodging and things to do its hard to beat wcvi.

warriorboy10 02-16-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bardfromedson (Post 1851311)
If its the ferry cost that's keeping u from going to van island I think the cost was about 500 return last year for my truck and 23 ft boat. Went to tofino ad had a lot easier time getting on the fish than Rupert. Lots of great offshore within a half hour run from shore. Also some good inshore if it gets lumpy outside. We stayed at tofino swell lodge. Sweet set up. There's a big shared kitchen to make your meals. Tons of freezer room for fish. Hot tub overlooking the water, nice big yard with BBQ facilities , private dock to keep your boat, great people that run it. The owner is also a charter captain and will point u in the right direction.

I love the beauty of the northern coast but Rupert is a bit of a dump of a town if your spending any time on shore. I will go back again but but for an all around trip when you consider lodging and things to do its hard to beat wcvi.

It's not the cost, it's the time. I can get away most anytime but my time is somewhat limited. When I stick to the mainland lets say Rupert, I loose one day on each end of the trip. If I go over to the WCVI that is going to be a loss of two days at each end. That's two days of fishing lost. So I will stick to the mainland for the time being. I will get to the Island or Shearwater when my time allows.
And your definatley right! Rupert is kind of a dump. And the town really does nothing for the sport fishing!

Jamie 02-16-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorboy10 (Post 1851661)
It's not the cost, it's the time. I can get away most anytime but my time is somewhat limited. When I stick to the mainland lets say Rupert, I loose one day on each end of the trip. If I go over to the WCVI that is going to be a loss of two days at each end. That's two days of fishing lost. So I will stick to the mainland for the time being. I will get to the Island or Shearwater when my time allows.
And your definatley right! Rupert is kind of a dump. And the town really does nothing for the sport fishing!

Tell me about it! Thats one of the main reason we have our Lodge on a island. It makes for a great getaway
Hard to believe we are the only full service providor in that place. Some great people in that town, just have to know where to look.

Jamie

bardfromedson 02-17-2013 03:21 AM

When we head out its Wednesday after work. Drive all night and get to terrace or the ferry station at about the same time.(4am ). Catch an hour or 2 of sleep to either wait for the ferry to open at 5 or the bait shop at terrace to open. If we're heading to the work its another 2 hours after the store opens to launch and 2 More hours launching and getting to the barge. Going the island way the ferry leaves at 5 gets to nanimo at 7 then 3 more hours to tofino. Pretty much a wash as far as travel. A long day of travel either trip.

Scott h 02-17-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bardfromedson (Post 1851943)
When we head out its Wednesday after work. Drive all night and get to terrace or the ferry station at about the same time.(4am ). Catch an hour or 2 of sleep to either wait for the ferry to open at 5 or the bait shop at terrace to open. If we're heading to the work its another 2 hours after the store opens to launch and 2 More hours launching and getting to the barge. Going the island way the ferry leaves at 5 gets to nanimo at 7 then 3 more hours to tofino. Pretty much a wash as far as travel. A long day of travel either trip.

Sounds like you've made the trip a few times out here . It's really not so bad if you don't mind highway driving . I'll usually leave very early in the morning drive all day , get to the ferry terminal in Rupert for the 11 pm sailing ( pre- book a room on the ferry !!) . Grab a shower and go to bed . The state rooms are only $60 and sleep 4 guys with a private shower in the room , it's way cheaper than a hotel and feels pretty damn good after a day of driving . You wake up grab a coffee and breakfast and unload at 6 AM in Haida Gwaii . I'll leave Vancouver and my dad will leave Calgary and we meet at the ferry . His drive is slightly quicker than mine .

bardfromedson 02-17-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott h (Post 1852258)
Sounds like you've made the trip a few times out here . It's really not so bad if you don't mind highway driving . I'll usually leave very early in the morning drive all day , get to the ferry terminal in Rupert for the 11 pm sailing ( pre- book a room on the ferry !!) . Grab a shower and go to bed . The state rooms are only $60 and sleep 4 guys with a private shower in the room , it's way cheaper than a hotel and feels pretty damn good after a day of driving . You wake up grab a coffee and breakfast and unload at 6 AM in Haida Gwaii . I'll leave Vancouver and my dad will leave Calgary and we meet at the ferry . His drive is slightly quicker than mine .

What's the ferry cost to the charlottes for truck and boat? Would like to do that trip in 2014. I imagine if a guy camps that the extra ferry cost might not be too bad compared to getting a room. Havnt been out that way in about 10 years but we were on a charter.

Jamie 02-17-2013 12:24 PM

Rupert has gotten much better over the last 5 years or so. I recall heading out there and seeing burnt out buildings on main street and the town looking really run down. As well, the general feeling was one of depresion, the work docks were all full of rotting/sinking boats. The place was a mess.

Over the past 5 years, it has improved considerbly. The Docks are filled with nice boats, the burnt out buildings have been removed, old stale stores have been replaced with new shops and new ideas. There was a community lead program that saw gangs of painters going to store fronts and repainting them for free, this caused building owners to feel guilty and start cleaning and painting before the painter gangs showed up.

New murals have been painted across the town, new industry with the massive expansion of the coal, container, wood chip and rail terminals.

All of the above have made for a much happier and succesful town. It's a way more enjoyble place to be.

What the future holds for this potential gem of the north coast is still up in the air. It will be interesting to have a ring side seat and see if this underdog can pull it off.

But no matter what happens with Rupert, you will still have the legendary sport fishing that has made this area world famous. Life is good out there, the fish are big, the fish are plentiful and the adventure is just starting.

Jamie

Scott h 02-17-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bardfromedson (Post 1852552)
What's the ferry cost to the charlottes for truck and boat? Would like to do that trip in 2014. I imagine if a guy camps that the extra ferry cost might not be too bad compared to getting a room. Havnt been out that way in about 10 years but we were on a charter.

I can't remember the cost off the top of my head as I've left my boat and a truck out there so I fly mostly. Now it costs 15000 airmiles to get out of bed at home at 6 am and be fishing out of Masset at lunchtime . :happy0034:

Jamie 02-17-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bardfromedson (Post 1852552)

Bard, here are some quick estimates
$50/person x 4 = $200
$150 for the truck
$8/foot for the boat = 8x24=$192

Call it $1,000 return with just basic accomodation
Your total length will be different.
Add in tax as well

Jamie