Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Carp fishing southern alberta (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=219476)

The O-Fish-al Fisherman 05-20-2014 06:10 PM

Carp fishing southern alberta

Hey everyone I was just wondering if anybody knows a good spot to fish for some carp. I have been trying for a while to hook one and can't seem to find a good spot or get any. I've heard of a few ponds on the prairies near calgary (where I live) but can't find a good one.

Thanks a bunch

trundle 05-20-2014 09:18 PM

I moved to Calgary from England 5 years ago, I was told there was no Carp here in alberta..... sounds like somethings changed!!
What kind of Carp are we talking about here? What kind of sizes are we talking about? How do you fish for them? What bait do you use? Does anyone on here have any pictures?
Cheers

Shongololo 05-21-2014 12:02 AM

I know of a good place in Sask if you don't mind the drive.
Best bait to use...Dynamite

jacenbeers 05-21-2014 01:20 PM

People are pretty tight lipped about their spots.

kirbstomps 05-21-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacenbeers (Post 2440587)
People are pretty tight lipped about their spots.

i find that odd....

there is a little info in this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123988

but thats all i got for ya!

fish em' all out if ya can!

Sasa 09-16-2014 09:43 PM

Last Mountain Lake in Saskatchewan is the place to go Carp fishing

RO CC 11-13-2019 07:29 AM

Where does one purchase Dynamite baits in or around Calgary, please?
Thanks!

calgarygringo 11-13-2019 09:50 AM

Prussian carp is what I believe he is referring to. The have been the big newly introduced invasive species over the last 10 years or so. They are now really expanding, growing larger and getting out of hand all over especially in certain areas of central and the south of the province. There are also a few grass carp that were stocked for weed control but none of the big carp like people catch east of Alberta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trundle (Post 2440075)
I moved to Calgary from England 5 years ago, I was told there was no Carp here in alberta..... sounds like somethings changed!!
What kind of Carp are we talking about here? What kind of sizes are we talking about? How do you fish for them? What bait do you use? Does anyone on here have any pictures?
Cheers

kilgoretrout 11-13-2019 10:26 AM

Carp

Quote:

Originally Posted by trundle (Post 2440075)
Cheers

If you want big Carp all you need to do is head south of the border to any of the streams in the Missouri drainage

TROLLER 11-13-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RO CC (Post 4055555)
Where does one purchase Dynamite baits in or around Calgary, please?
Thanks!

Saw some at Cabella but don't waste you money. They dont work

TROLLER 11-13-2019 10:32 AM

Dewitts pond west of Airdrie is full of em. Small little buggars but there are lots.

RO CC 11-13-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 4055625)
Saw some at Cabella but don't waste you money. They dont work

Thank you sir!

JareS 11-14-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 4055621)
If you want big Carp all you need to do is head south of the border to any of the streams in the Missouri drainage

Even the farthest upstream stretches of the Missouri drainage will get you into 30+ pound Common Carp. (SE Saskatchewan).

Just Common Carp and now Prussian Carp in Saskatchewan at this point. Let's just hope the nastier species of Asian Carp (Silver, Bighead etc) don't ever make it up this way.

WV911 11-14-2019 10:39 PM

I hope I don't see another carp.
They are so abundant and huge at our cottage in Ontario you can almost walk across them in the spring when they are spawning.

lds 11-15-2019 02:25 PM

Lots in nose creek. Found a dead one along the bank about 12-14” long