Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weather - Whats the deal? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=320106)

Lowrance Fishburn 04-20-2017 11:19 AM

Weather - Whats the deal?

What is the deal with this weather? Thought thing were supposed to be getting warmer? Well below seasonal averages and generally just been a crappy spring. I am set to go fishing may long weekend up north, starting to think that may not happen.

Anyone else with any may long trips planned? Any opinions on whether or not the ice will be off the lakes by then in Northern AB and SK?

SNAPFisher 04-20-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn (Post 3521625)
What is the deal with this weather? Thought thing were supposed to be getting warmer? Well below seasonal averages and generally just been a crappy spring. I am set to go fishing may long weekend up north, starting to think that may not happen.

Anyone else with any may long trips planned? Any opinions on whether or not the ice will be off the lakes by then in Northern AB and SK?

If it stays like this some lakes could be a problem ** cough ** Cold Lake **cough**.
It is early though and if May is normal then it will not be a problem.

DiabeticKripple 04-20-2017 12:28 PM

Welcome to Alberta. Where the forecast is made up, and the seasons don't matter.

hal53 04-20-2017 12:40 PM

...and some people said that carbon tax wouldn't stop that pesky global warming......:)

Unregistered user 04-20-2017 01:53 PM

Tired of waiting for that good ole timey global warming, spending the May 24 in Mexico.

Sumara 04-21-2017 01:25 AM

Facebook was nice enough to give me a reminder that a week ago last year i was fishing some nice open water for trout and this year it looks like i won't be fishing it until May. Soon enough this will all be over with and we will be enjoying the good times and tight lines.

Mr Flyguy 04-21-2017 07:59 AM

Yeah, last year I caught my first big trout on April 7; this year I had to wait until yesterday, so about two weeks later.

Lowrance Fishburn 04-21-2017 09:34 AM

I guess I'm concerned that some of the larger lakes up north wont be ice free by May long. Last year was a totally different story but this year the ice was thicker all winter and this spring has been garbage as far as weather goes. I spoke to someone up there yesterday and they said the lake doesn't even look like it has started to melt. That's discouraging as I've already booked the time off work and made plans with friends for us to take the trip so im keeping my fingers crossed. Need some 20 degree days, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen.

SNAPFisher 04-21-2017 10:28 AM

Might want to plan to fish further South with the crowds. Some fishing is better than none.

idaman 04-21-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn (Post 3522456)
I guess I'm concerned that some of the larger lakes up north wont be ice free by May long. Last year was a totally different story but this year the ice was thicker all winter and this spring has been garbage as far as weather goes. I spoke to someone up there yesterday and they said the lake doesn't even look like it has started to melt. That's discouraging as I've already booked the time off work and made plans with friends for us to take the trip so im keeping my fingers crossed. Need some 20 degree days, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen.

Trout ponds around morinville this morning might have 20ft open around the edges in some spots. Hell... Wabamun sailing clubs live feed, I doubt even Wabamun will be payable by May 15.

ETOWNCANUCK 04-21-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

I'm sure you'd find people in those areas who will be thankful everything isn't burning on May long weekend.

6 one way....

HowSwedeItIs 04-21-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 3522920)
I'm sure you'd find people in those areas who will be thankful everything isn't burning on May long weekend.

6 one way....

Answer the question or don't

If he was talking about how hot and dry it was you would be whining about the flood in calgary

ETOWNCANUCK 04-21-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs (Post 3522995)
Answer the question or don't

If he was talking about how hot and dry it was you would be whining about the flood in calgary

I did answer the question actually.
Makes no sense complaining about the weather.

It's going to do what it does and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

edsonfisherman 04-22-2017 02:57 PM

I guess we might need to invest in a icebreaker if this keeps up. I bought a new boat at the show and been iching to try it out, at this rate it could be late june before the ice comes off.

fish99 04-23-2017 05:44 PM

lakes in the south have been wide open for weeks.

pikeman06 04-23-2017 07:33 PM

Should be cutting grass and planting spuds instead of shoveling snow. Remember all that ***** frost and fog we had? The old boys always said sooner or later you gonna get weeks of wet weather...oh well it happens fir a reason. Terrible forecasting tho I don't know why they even bother with 14 day forecasts in good ol alberta .

35 whelen 04-23-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeman06 (Post 3524535)
Should be cutting grass and planting spuds instead of shoveling snow. Remember all that ***** frost and fog we had? The old boys always said sooner or later you gonna get weeks of wet weather...oh well it happens fir a reason. Terrible forecasting tho I don't know why they even bother with 14 day forecasts in good ol alberta .

No kidding they can forecast a day in advance nevermind 14

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

35 whelen 04-23-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 3524576)
No kidding they cant forecast a day in advance nevermind 14

58thecat 04-23-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 3521657)
If it stays like this some lakes could be a problem ** cough ** Cold Lake **cough**.
It is early though and if May is normal then it will not be a problem.

it's still trying to snow.....:scared0015:

Sumara 04-23-2017 10:01 PM

One day i'm raking up some leaves and the next day i'm shoveling snow.

TheHotChili 04-23-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

forecast is Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.....:sign0161:

Isopod 04-24-2017 12:56 AM

Unless the weather warms up substantially over the next two weeks, you might want to consider the option of fishing smaller, shallower lakes in the area you are interested in. Smaller lakes will have much earlier ice-out, though you might not have have the fishing action/species you originally intended when booking this trip.

58thecat 04-24-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isopod (Post 3524741)
Unless the weather warms up substantially over the next two weeks, you might want to consider the option of fishing smaller, shallower lakes in the area you are interested in. Smaller lakes will have much earlier ice-out, though you might not have have the fishing action/species you originally intended when booking this trip.

And may long weekend....enjoy the rain, snow and many fools that will be out:sHa_sarcasticlol:....

SNAPFisher 04-24-2017 11:01 AM

I'll take a trip out to Pigeon before the May long and report back. No use doing it now since I took my winter tires off :rolleye2:
Maybe in a couple weeks...

Barry D 04-24-2017 09:33 PM

My cabin is at calling lake and the season doesn't open till the first of June. looks like no one is getting a heads start on us this year. This is the natural ebbs and flows of nature. Paople talk about the "balance of nature" it's really more like the "forces of nature" there are many forces at work in the natural world and the last think we want is a perfect balance. If that were the case, we would loose most of our bio diversity. Who knows, it could be the best spawning for many fish spiecies this year. There are allways winners and loosers, and thats the way it shold be.

EZM 04-24-2017 09:40 PM

Lot's of time before May long. The ice will be off the lakes. It goes really fast.

I will see you all at Cold Lake or Wabamun. Haven't decided where to pop the 2017 cherry yet.

SNAPFisher 04-25-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 3525413)
Lot's of time before May long. The ice will be off the lakes. It goes really fast.

I will see you all at Cold Lake or Wabamun. Haven't decided where to pop the 2017 cherry yet.

I'm with EZM. Looking ahead for Central, nothing below zero forecast after this weekend. There is still another 2 weeks after that as well.

Now Maligne, that is doubtful :)

mapleleafman3 04-25-2017 01:00 PM

Looks like a roller coaster ride for the next 2 months.
http://farmersalmanac.com/long-range...-saskatchewan/

wildwoods 04-25-2017 01:00 PM

Shuswap lake-back country trip/fishing on may long. Very pumped!

Penner 04-27-2017 02:00 PM

I would suggest lakes around Edmonton should be ice free within a week of the may long. Cold Lake very unlikely.