Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fire ban? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381954)

ehrgeiz 05-22-2020 02:52 PM

Fire ban?

Is it reasonable to expect that the fire ban will be lifted based on things greening up and all of the precipitation we’re seeing now?

Bigwoodsman 05-22-2020 02:56 PM

Nope. This fire ban will continue through out the summer. Precipitation wasn't a factor considered when it was implemented.

BW

calgarygringo 05-22-2020 03:15 PM

They even mentioned it has nothing to do with moisture. It is about the firefighter and covid that they are concerned about and nothing to do with the weather at least at this point. Who knows if it dries out it could be weather related as well.

geezer55 05-22-2020 03:32 PM

Heard Jason Kenny explain the fire ban. He said Alberta doesn't have enough firefighters and the had an agreement with Australia, New Zealand, Mexico to bring firefighters here other years but this year because of covid-19 that wouldn't be possible. Buy a propane fire pit as backup.

ESOXangler 05-22-2020 03:42 PM

Kenney cuts.... but he sure did help out his corporate buddies.

ehrgeiz 05-22-2020 03:47 PM

If true, and the Province intends to maintain the ban all summer regardless of the conditions then I suppose I'll have to take my chances with a fine. I'm not someone who would normally disregard a fire ban, but this is silly and I don't accept "because Covid" as reasonable justification.

nimrod 05-22-2020 03:58 PM

Good thing I checked with environment to ask about the fire ban, no open fires but my titanium stove in my tent would be ok if the damper is used, I also like to burn my food packages to keep the bears away, happy backcountry hikes

Grizzly Adams 05-22-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehrgeiz (Post 4174278)
If true, and the Province intends to maintain the ban all summer regardless of the conditions then I suppose I'll have to take my chances with a fine. I'm not someone who would normally disregard a fire ban, but this is silly and I don't accept "because Covid" as reasonable justification.

Costco, among others, sells propane substitutes. It's a substantial fine and that plume of smoke and the smell might bring the law down on you. :D

Grizz

Robins36 05-22-2020 05:15 PM

Please correct me if I’m wrong, Alberta Fire bans website has up to date information and having a fire in an approved fire pit is still ok in most areas. So no open burning in the backcountry, no burn piles on the farm and no controlled burns.

JohninAB 05-22-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESOXangler (Post 4174275)

Nothing to do with Kenney cuts.

A lot to do with trying to establish a fire camp/action a fire (especially a human caused fire) while maintaining social distancing protocols due to Covid 19.

A lot to due with the lack of resources that would be available if a campaign fire needed to be actioned . A lot of jurisdictions will not be exporting firefighters to other jurisdictions as in years past due to Covid 19.

michaelmicallef 05-22-2020 07:01 PM

Common sense and democracy have been cancelled due to Covid19 . Try again next year.

michaelmicallef 05-22-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninAB (Post 4174421)
Nothing to do with Kenney cuts.

A lot to do with trying to establish a fire camp/action a fire (especially a human caused fire) while maintaining social distancing protocols due to Covid 19.

A lot to due with the lack of resources that would be available if a campaign fire needed to be actioned . A lot of jurisdictions will not be exporting firefighters to other jurisdictions as in years past due to Covid 19.

If someone can get a fire going right now, they deserve an award.

Grizzly Adams 05-22-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelmicallef (Post 4174430)

Might even involve a little snow shoveling. :lol:

Grizz

lyallpeder 05-22-2020 08:26 PM

If it goes all summer I would like to see charcoal cooking be allowed in front country camp sites and private property.

barbless 05-22-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelmicallef (Post 4174430)

I have done when I was 13 yrs old. It had been raining for a week straight. I was at summer camp and they gave us 3 matches and did show us how to find dry wood in the bush. Our group won. Then boiled water in a paper bag. I was amazed it could be done. That was 52 yrs ago. I also taught many adults and kids how to get that fire going in unfavorable conditions.

buckbrush 05-22-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESOXangler (Post 4174275)

wat??

Are you implying that Kenney making cuts caused the fire bans?:bad_boys_20:

ESOXangler 05-22-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 4174539)
wat??

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...hire-them.html

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...al-budget/amp/

Not implying a thing.

troutbug 05-22-2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 4174539)
wat??

There was an article not long ago that due to covid and cuts that fire bans would be placed due to lack of fire support. They even axed the helitac team last I heard, it could have changed since then.

I used to fight wildfires every summer, always seemed like we never had enough so cutting what we do have is bad

JohninAB 05-23-2020 01:13 AM

So they cut the rappel program and closed a few towers. Has no bearing on the fire bans. Quit grasping at straws!

In previous years there have been fire bans and yet we had the rappel program and those 20 towers. Go figure

“This is a decision that has been made as part of our COVID-19 pandemic response, not necessarily because of a high wildfire hazard. Taking action in advance to reduce the number of human-caused wildfires will allow Alberta Wildfire to make the best possible use of resources when the availability of firefighters could be reduced because of the pandemic.” Straight from the Alberta Wildfire app.

LKILR 05-23-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Your ENTITLED to have your fire. Fines are $600-$100,000. And you get to pay for the cost of fighting a fire that you cause.

CaberTosser 05-23-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

How about “because of extreme budgetary pressures” rather than Covid directly, even though it does have a definite trickle-down effect. I certainly clued into the fact that when the current economic and pandemic factors combined into a perfect storm where there is both massive unemployment and reduced gov’t revenue due to the unemployment combined with oil revenues being way down, that some cost-cutting measures would be tabled. All those vehicles you didn’t see in traffic for the last two months? That’s a lot of fuel tax not collected. The tens of thousands at home while their employers are shuttered, same thing. We always ask for lower taxes and fewer gov’t employees, but you can’t handle not having a fire? I’m gonna call you out on selfishness and obliviousness.

It’s going to be a longer road to economic recovery if people insist on going about their business as usual for what are really very minor inconveniences asked of them.

Think of WWII, there was food rationing (everything rationing for that matter) and scrap metal drives. Peoples dedication and community/national spirit absolutely helped forge our way to victory. Today we get “But, but, muh campfire!”

bobtodrick 05-23-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 4174657)
How about “because of extreme budgetary pressures” rather than Covid directly, even though it does have a definite trickle-down effect. I certainly clued into the fact that when the current economic and pandemic factors combined into a perfect storm where there is both massive unemployment and reduced gov’t revenue due to the unemployment combined with oil revenues being way down, that some cost-cutting measures would be tabled. All those vehicles you didn’t see in traffic for the last two months? That’s a lot of fuel tax not collected. The tens of thousands at home while their employers are shuttered, same thing. We always ask for lower taxes and fewer gov’t employees, but you can’t handle not having a fire? I’m gonna call you out on selfishness and obliviousness.

It’s going to be a longer road to economic recovery if people insist on going about their business as usual for what are really very minor inconveniences asked of them.

Think of WWII, there was food rationing (everything rationing for that matter) and scrap metal drives. Peoples dedication and community/national spirit absolutely helped forge our way to victory. Today we get “But, but, muh campfire!”

Hey Caber, using common sense on these guys is pointless 🤬

Big Grey Wolf 05-23-2020 11:05 AM

Kenny cut the forest fire suppression budget long before covid and layed off our fire teams.. We are just lucky lots of rain and snow this spring or a second hell would have broken out in our foothills.

ESOXangler 05-23-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4174748)
Kenny cut the forest fire suppression budget long before covid and layed off our fire teams.. We are just lucky lots of rain and snow this spring or a second hell would have broken out in our foothills.

Exactly but the fan boys around here cant wrap their heads around it. If conditions call for it then I'm all for a ban. But otherwise it's an overstep and the best thing for people would be to get outside and enjoy nature. Including fire pits and the likes.

ehrgeiz 05-23-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKILR (Post 4174584)
Your ENTITLED to have your fire. Fines are $600-$100,000. And you get to pay for the cost of fighting a fire that you cause.

If I was fined $600.00 it isn't the end of the world. As mentioned, if conditions called for a fire ban I would comply, but they don't, not even remotely and I most assuredly would not be the cause of a wildfire so a $100,000.00 + fire fighting fine is extraordinarily unlikely. Besides, even in the most tinder dry, windy, high risk conditions I can safely manage a camp fire because I'm not an idiot. I have never done it, because previously fire bans have been put in place reasonably when conditions called for it. Which is nay the now.

ehrgeiz 05-23-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 4174657)

Sorry man, I'm just not going to accept an economics argument as to why Albertan's can't enjoy a camp fire this summer. Heck, if anything we have a lot of idle hands that could earn some money fighting a fire vs collecting it on unemployment anyway.

I see little comparison between the WWII war effort and Covid, but for arguments sake, let's say it is the same seriousness and magnitude. You figure they had a blanket fire ban in Alberta at that time too?

pikergolf 05-23-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehrgeiz (Post 4174939)
Sorry man, I'm just not going to accept an economics argument as to why Albertan's can't enjoy a camp fire this summer. Heck, if anything we have a lot of idle hands that could earn some money fighting a fire vs collecting it on unemployment anyway.

I see little comparison between the WWII war effort and Covid, but for arguments sake, let's say it is the same seriousness and magnitude. You figure they had a blanket fire ban in Alberta at that time too?

Plus they probably have no idea how special you are. Carry on man. :sign0111:

ehrgeiz 05-23-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4174948)
Plus they probably have no idea how special you are. Carry on man. :sign0111:

Huh?

1899b 05-23-2020 04:28 PM

Fire ban that isn’t warranted, a recent gun ban that isn’t warranted, it’s all about control kids. Get used to it...

ESOXangler 05-23-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 4174979)
Fire ban that isn’t warranted, a recent gun ban that isn’t warranted, it’s all about control kids. Get used to it...

No way! Jason kenney cares. This is just like in WW2 but instead of nazi's we are fighting ahhh hmmm what are we fighting again?

No theres a pile of corrupt, rich people above us that have all of us blue collar stiffs fighting each other while they keep getting richer. And we cant even have a fire in a decent fire pit...