Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amazon is losing it's appeal. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=391265)

Ken07AOVette 11-30-2020 10:07 PM

Amazon is losing it's appeal.

Their short term return policy and guarantee/warranty is total crap. Realistically, what fails in 14 days?
I bought some LED headlights, from a Canadian company in Onterrible. I try to see if I can buy direct before I buy off Amazon.
I bought them for a truck I ended up selling, so never tried them. Tonight I cut the seal on the box for another truck, and they are DOA.
I bought them July 10, date of last possible return is August 14. Nice. You can not contact Amazon, you can not appeal or ask for help, there is no such thing anymore.
I bought a hell of a lot of stuff from them, but with way too many things failing, this was I think the last straw.
Their customer service is essentially non-existant now.
I bought some parts for my boat, sitting infront of me on my desk in the garage. They were expensive, and I can not do anything now until spring. Should I return them now just in case and order again a week before I need them?
No more amazon for me I think.

CNP 11-30-2020 10:24 PM

I would find it difficult to cut ties with amazon. Man I order a lot of stuff from them...

I have no reason to cut ties with them as I have not been disappointed with any purchases. Cabela's on the other hand...

Iron Brew 11-30-2020 10:33 PM

A few times lately I've caught them doing the "bait and switch" or so it seems to me. I've had to order a bunch from them, but I've also managed to find companies in Canada selling cheaper (including shipping) than Amazon. Be aware. Last was a Frankford Arsenal deprimer. Got it from Bullseye in Ontario for less than I could get it locally, including shipping, and definitely less than Amazon. A lot of their stuff isn't cheap when you research.

EDIT - I did try to buy locally, but how much time do you really have to run around and find stuff. Next up, a rotary tumbler for brass...

HyperMOA 11-30-2020 10:35 PM

Even though it was an Onterrible company I guarantee those lights are made of 100% Chinesium. I trust nothing from China. Anything Chinese I buy I always test it ASAP and I expect it not to work the next time I use it. I’m tired of being the landfill middle-man.

It just occurred to me that the lights you bought are probably LED. A diode. Reverse the polarity and see if they work. Incandescent didn’t care but a diode is essentially an electrical check-valve.

Ken07AOVette 11-30-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperMOA (Post 4278442)
Even though it was an Onterrible company I guarantee those lights are made of 100% Chinesium. I trust nothing from China. Anything Chinese I buy I always test it ASAP and I expect it not to work the next time I use it. I’m tired of being the landfill middle-man.

It just occurred to me that the lights you bought are probably LED. A diode. Reverse the polarity and see if they work. Incandescent didn’t care but a diode is essentially an electrical check-valve.

Tried that. Every possible combination of the 3 wires. Several times. Then checked the pigtails. Then various other bulbs. Then hard wired with jumpers. Thank you though.

jungleboy 11-30-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 4278421)
Their short term return policy and guarantee/warranty is total crap. Realistically, what fails in 14 days?
I bought some LED headlights, from a Canadian company in Onterrible. I try to see if I can buy direct before I buy off Amazon.
I bought them for a truck I ended up selling, so never tried them. Tonight I cut the seal on the box for another truck, and they are DOA.
I bought them July 10, date of last possible return is August 14. Nice. You can not contact Amazon, you can not appeal or ask for help, there is no such thing anymore.
I bought a hell of a lot of stuff from them, but with way too many things failing, this was I think the last straw.
I bought some parts for my boat, sitting infront of me on my desk in the garage. They were expensive, and I can not do anything now until spring. Should I return them now just in case and order again a week before I need them?

Yep , that would be a good idea. In the mean time you may find a better deal elsewhere.

wwbirds 12-01-2020 12:18 AM

cancelled my membership a month ago

had nothing to do with products or warranty. they use couriers who couldnt find me and then reported item as delivered. Got tired of ordering the same thing 4 times before it was finally delivered.

JD848 12-01-2020 12:50 AM

Jeff Bezos increased his net worth by 70 billion since march this year ,selling out most countries to enrich china.

Who in there right mind would give one dollar to this arrogant *****.

Same with all the bigger players like CT and there bull crap cash x40 return, another sucker deal to sell stuff they buy for peanuts.

Were so brain washed we can't even build light bulls,over and out.

JD

Popcan 12-01-2020 01:31 AM

It's not just Amazon Ken. Society calls it progress. We just remember easier times. I feel your pain. Keep your stuff and make some adjustments moving forward. Also take a deep breath while you're at it. We are not going to change Amazon. WE have to adjust. There'll never be a last straw with Amazon. The good outweighs the bad by a country mile. Think about that. It isn't the 80's anymore. It might be like that in some parts of Lloyd where hand shake deals and steak dinners are still the norm. Frustrating sometimes. Lotta snowflakes out there now too. Lotta kids can't think for themselves nor should they for Min Wage. It's the harsh reality of it all.

204ruger 12-01-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 4278421)

We’re your lights sold by ______ and fulfilled by Amazon? Or sold and fulfilled by Amazon? If sold by ______ and fulfilled by Amazon you should be able to click on the sellers name and it’ll take you to a page that says if you want to ask a question or something, a few different options anyway. Contact them there I did that with a dyson battery that was 5 months old and didn’t even go thru Amazon to inquire went straight to them and they sent me new battery no problem.

kingrat 12-01-2020 06:34 AM

Leave a bad review for the product and usually the company will contact you shortly to fix it. I ordered big led lights for garage and 1 came only half working. I left a bad review and 3 weeks later I got a whole new set in mail like $120 worth. I order alot off there and had this happened several times.

Grizzly Adams 12-01-2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwbirds (Post 4278482)
had nothing to do with products or warranty. they use couriers who couldnt find me and then reported item as delivered. Got tired of ordering the same thing 4 times before it was finally delivered.

Same here and the shipping times are becoming ridiculous. A lot of no shipping to a rural address and Prime delivery only applies in Calgary or Edmonton.

Grizz

saskbooknut 12-01-2020 07:55 AM

Amazon is a predatory company.
They go into an area of the market with low prices using their massive capital, depress the market for the competition, and then buy them out.
Once the competition is gone, they become a high price company in that market segment.
You will pay price eventually, for supporting Amazon.
It's the Walmart model on steroids, applied to the Internet.

58thecat 12-01-2020 07:55 AM

No issues yet to date....keeping fingers crossed....like anything in life it can go down the crapper but ya gotta keep on keeping on....

Tony Perdaniente 12-01-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskbooknut (Post 4278536)
They go into an area of the market with low prices using their massive capital, depress the market for the competition, and then buy them out.
Once the competition is gone, they become a high price company in that market segment.

I smell a potential antitrust lawsuit brewing.....

elkhunter11 12-01-2020 08:03 AM

I have purchased a few items through Amazon in the past, but at this point, I am avoiding them to shop local whenever possible.

trailraat 12-01-2020 08:05 AM

Amazon is a plague on our society and economy.

jeprli 12-01-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD848 (Post 4278484)
Jeff Bezos increased his net worth by 70 billion since march this year ,selling out most countries to enrich china.

Same with all the bigger players like CT and there bull crap cash x40 return, another sucker deal to sell stuff they buy for peanuts.

JD

X2

Personally i've never used amazon or ebay for purchases. If i want chinese products i order them from china.

My wife ordered some nursing shoes from amazon once, 2 months later she received dancing shoes, the kind men wore in 50's musicals.

gramps73 12-01-2020 08:12 AM

Used to order lots from them but those days are changing.
Amazon Prime used to give you free shipping not anymore. sometimes the shipping is more then the product.
SHOP LOCAL

bat119 12-01-2020 08:29 AM

Preplague I never ordered anything from Amazon this year I'm at 36 purchases since March 95% were not available locally. Never had a problem with a return although I returned the items promptly after purchase.
As a cancer survivor my immune system is somewhat compromised it's much less risky to have items delivered to my door rather than go to the local pertri dish like Walmart or CT.

trapperdodge 12-01-2020 10:21 AM

Increasingly I get a message that says they wont ship to my address. Not sure why but it's happened quite a few times. I'm not ordering things that are illegal.

RavYak 12-01-2020 10:35 AM

The real question is are you mad at Amazon or a store on Amazon? Lots of stuff and probably those lights were ordered on Amazon's site but not from Amazon.

Just like Ebay you always have to check who you are buying from and if it isn't Amazon direct need to look closer at their reputation, reviews, shipping, returns etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperdodge (Post 4278626)
Increasingly I get a message that says they wont ship to my address. Not sure why but it's happened quite a few times. I'm not ordering things that are illegal.

Are you shopping in the US site (com instead of ca)? Only some items can be shipped from the US site to Canada even though you can buy some of the same items on the Canada site.

whiteout 12-01-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps73 (Post 4278550)
Used to order lots from them but those days are changing.
Amazon Prime used to give you free shipping not anymore. sometimes the shipping is more then the product.
SHOP LOCAL

Prime is still free. They have a minimum $25 order value to get the one day or same day delivery on some things, but I haven’t run into a single Prime item where I needed to pay shipping.

Dean2 12-01-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskbooknut (Post 4278536)

Absolutely accurate. I will do nearly anything not to buy from Amazon or Walmart, include pay more. Only use these two if I can't find it anywhere else at all.

58thecat 12-01-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailraat (Post 4278542)
Amazon is a plague on our society and economy.

why?

CNP 12-01-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperdodge (Post 4278626)

Probably not sold by Amazon......but fulfilled by Amazon......and I'll wager you have a PO Box in your address. If so and only when shipping is refused, change your address to your physical address and include Comp XXXX (XXXX = number of your PO Box). I do this all the time when my PO Box number is refused. The local PO even suggested that I do it. This way, if it comes by post it will still go to your box and if it gets delivered by courier they have your physical address as well.

John Doe
1234 Oil St
Comp 5678
Anywhere AB T95 0J9

fishtank 12-01-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4278648)
why?

the fall of the local brick and mortar

huntinstuff 12-01-2020 11:16 AM

I buy from Amazon sometimes

Usually for stuff I cant find close by, like handlebar heaters for my quad, or a quad cover, or stuff like that

Beats driving all over the city looking for something that may or may not be there

CNP 12-01-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4278646)
Absolutely accurate. I will do nearly anything not to buy from Amazon or Walmart, include pay more. Only use these two if I can't find it anywhere else at all.

I hear ya but many of us are rural with few choices. I appreciate Amazon because it fills a void where otherwise I would be driving a round trip of four or more hours to satisfy my wants :)

And some irony........Walmart in Pincher Creek is an alternative. There really are few options in my neck o the woods. Local hardware stores get a lot of cash from me but they just don't have the stock.

AI 6.5 12-01-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD848 (Post 4278484)

JD

This! Bezos that clown isn’t getting a red cent from me. I would go without first