Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tent Repair Question (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=326016)

Abe89 07-23-2017 12:37 PM

Tent Repair Question

I recently was setting up my tent on a back packing trip in high winds, rushing before the wall of inclement precipitation hit. Before I could secure everything the wind grabbed my tent, flattened it, breaking a pole and punching it through the rainfly. I made it through the remaining days with duct tape and stick, and a goretex fabric patch.

Does anyone know good and cost effective options for tent pole repair here in Alberta? I am located in the Calgary/Red Deer ish area.

I have already spoken with Tent pole technologies in the states, and with the exchange rate, the cost is not justifiable. I have 8 years of hard summer to winter use in this tent, think it cost $150 at the time (was on clearance and is no longer in production), has holes in the floor from a bear (unfortunate tree planting incident)...this thing isn't worth much money but it still get's me through. If I can easily and cheaply repair the pole, great. If not I'm out of luck until I can fork out cash for another back-packing tent.
It is a Sierra Design Omega, 3-4 season tent.

Related: What are people's experiences with Kuiu's tents? Any more word on the Summit Refuge shelter?
Thanks!

Stir 07-23-2017 03:46 PM

See if the campers village in Calgary has tent repair like in Edmonton here for the poles.just use a patch with seam sealer for the rest .
I would probably replace it if it's bleached out looking as the fabric would be shot from uv exposure and weakened .
Later stir

Abe89 07-23-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stir (Post 3589520)
See if the campers village in Calgary has tent repair like in Edmonton here for the poles.just use a patch with seam sealer for the rest .
I would probably replace it if it's bleached out looking as the fabric would be shot from uv exposure and weakened .
Later stir

Thanks. Fabrics still in great condition, though it does need hefty waterproofing from time to time. It's why I can't bring myself to toss it yet. Just really had no clear idea where to look. Thanks again.

Travco1 07-23-2017 09:01 PM

Spirit west in Calgary will fix poles, tents , sleeping bags .
Great service and really nice people.

Abe89 07-25-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travco1 (Post 3589735)
Spirit west in Calgary will fix poles, tents , sleeping bags .

Great service and really nice people.

Perfect, thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyon 07-25-2017 11:16 AM

x2 for Spirit West - just the nicest people going.

Cottus 07-25-2017 09:32 PM

MEC usually has a bin of old pole sections that you can rummage for. They're pretty common diameters and you can cut them (hacksaw or tube cutter) to get the right length. I had much the same thing happen to my old tent last year and I replaced two sections of pole. I fixed the tear with a funky tent repair decal and seam sealed or aqua-seal or something.

Abe89 07-26-2017 11:16 AM

Thanks all. Very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk