Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yildiz or Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=37729)

wayne 07-24-2009 09:59 PM

Yildiz or Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U

Been looking at entry level Over/Under shotguns.
The Yildiz felt better when I shouldered it at Wholesale, but the Mossberg comes with a 12 and a 20 gauge set of barrels.
Any good, or bad experiences/opinions?

elkhunter11 07-24-2009 10:06 PM

http://www.rateitall.com/i-902445-mo...r-reserve.aspx

wayne 07-24-2009 10:27 PM

reviews

Thanks for that elkhunter - that's a real eye opener!
Might have to step up a notch, or two.

TheClash 07-24-2009 11:50 PM

wayne i have a yildiz 12ga o?u and i love it. swings smooth..hits what i point it at...easy to clean. is it a gun i would put 10000 shells through a year shooting at a club/competitions etc...nope...but for an entry level field gun it is a beaut...the wood on mine is a subtle grain but beautiful color..and great fit and finish.

if you are in or around lethbridge let me know and you can feel free to borrow it and shoot it if you like. cheers.

Edit: that being said, i have never shot, seen or handled the mossberg so i cannot and i am not trying to speak for that gun...

Jamie 07-25-2009 12:33 AM

Wayne, Clash is correct.
It's a great set up. Nice a light, perfect for upland.

For what ever reason, this is my go to gun, I allways get excited just puuling it out of the cabinet. It fits me like a dream.

It seems the Mosberg has some serrious issues. I for one havent had any sort of issue and I have used this gun in registered shoots. I shot that gun more in one year than a hunter will do in a life time. Still runs like a top. But I could start to see the wear, and I blame it on the fact it was not designed for that type of round count.

How much are they now? I got mine for a steal when they were first brought into Alberta.

I dont think you can go wrong with the "Y" gun. Just make sure you look over each and every gun they have in stock. There is some really nice wood mixed in there.

Good luck
Jamie

TangoKilo 07-25-2009 06:26 AM

Wayne,
I can't comment on the mossberg.
The Yildiz however is a great little gun! I got mine after seeing and handeling Clash's just once. It functions flawlessly, and for some reason, I just seem to hit what I shoot at.

I bought mine in November of last year from Clay at Prophet river.

wayne 07-25-2009 11:13 AM

Yildiz

Wow, great reviews for Yildiz and poor press for Mossberg - I thought they would be comparable in quality since between the Mossberg SR at 599 -699 and Yildiz SPZ at 675 - 750 there is not much of a dollar difference.

Thanks for the offer Clash, I would look you up if I was down that way - I'm usually up north, hoping to get in on some serious bird gunning this fall. Might get down there next year for antelope.

Jamie, there is some good wood on the Yildiz. One of the Mossberg's I looked at felt like it wasn't wood - I had to ask the salesman if it wasn't some kind of composite/wood stock.
The Yildiz SPZM ranges from 675 to 699 in price. The same gun in 20 gauge is worth 749.95 at some places. There is also the SPZME Special that jumps up to 1575.00. Also checked the Ruger Red Label at 1895.00 just for fun, wasn't relly keen on spending too much.
Thanks, guys.

TheClash 07-25-2009 11:40 PM

if you have the chance to look at a number of Y guns it is worth it to get a choice piece of wood....you will find one that all of a sudden screams to you to take it home.

wayne 07-26-2009 12:29 PM

Y gun

Funny you should say that Clash - that actually happened on the way home from work yesterday afternoon! It's not the nicest one I've seen in photos, but it's the nicest one of the ones I checked over, except for the high priced model. The new stock will only get darker with age, too.
A sweet little stainless reciever, 20 gauge with 26 inch barrel followed me home - look out bird game, september's only 5 weeks and two days away.

Donny Bear 07-26-2009 12:54 PM

Only thing I like better than the Yildiz O/U is the SXS Yildiz makes a sweet product for the dollar

TheClash 07-27-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donny Bear (Post 356053)
Only thing I like better than the Yildiz O/U is the SXS Yildiz makes a sweet product for the dollar

have ne of those too..well ok it is my dad's but it will be mine some day..Little A5 20ga. fun little gun.

wayne, we need some photos!!

wayne 07-27-2009 07:00 PM

Sxs

Clay at Prophet River has some nice SXS Yildiz in stock - will probably sell off my pump gun and pick one up, but that would be next year's project.

Clash, my home computer is down, had Windows re-installed but it still doesn't work - will take it back on saturday, then wait a week for my daughter to get back from holidays to set up Zoombrowser again - no pics for a while.

bearb8er 08-12-2009 12:05 AM

You boys have any experience with the Stoeger condor line of o/u - or the CZ o/u?

thanks

The Moose Whisperer 08-12-2009 08:31 AM

My dad has 2 CZ O/U's - very nice guns for the money and has had no problems with them. I have a Mossberg Silver Reserve that I got at a DU dinner, haven't had any problems with it either. That said, we only use these guns for bird hunting and the occasional clay pigeon session with our foot operated thrower. Not trap/skeet guys.

Okotokian 08-12-2009 10:13 AM

Everybody's different, but to ME, a cheap O/U just seems WRONG. I always imagine saving up my coin and buying a nice one to be my prized posession. I can't see going cheap and getting a gun that's not as well buiilt as the Berretta semi-auto I already own. Sort of like buying a corvette look-alike with a 150 hp engine. That's just me though. If you think an O/U is the perfect utilitarian gun for you, then have at it. :)

TheClash 08-12-2009 01:13 PM

i think there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive...the walnut on my yildiz rivals any i have seen on 1500-2000 dollar guns. plus it is much lighter than my pump, swings easier, and better and i prefer it in the field...

wayne 08-12-2009 08:38 PM

O/U

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 367213)
Everybody's different, but to ME, a cheap O/U just seems WRONG. I always imagine saving up my coin and buying a nice one to be my prized posession. I can't see going cheap and getting a gun that's not as well buiilt as the Berretta semi-auto I already own. Sort of like buying a corvette look-alike with a 150 hp engine. That's just me though. If you think an O/U is the perfect utilitarian gun for you, then have at it. :)

I guess my forty dollar Cooey single shot 20 gauge scattergun built in the 1960's still going strong today is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, eh Oko?:)

I haven't fired the Yildiz yet, but it sure looks nice and feels good to point, and is a wee bit of an upgrade, though I will always keep my prized possession Cooey.

The problem with expensive prized posessions is I dislike taking them in the bush and getting them all scratched up - that's why I sold my Sako.
Never owned a Berretta or a Corvette, so if you don't know what you are supposed to be missing it just doesn't matter.:wave:

roughneckin 08-12-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne (Post 367601)
The problem with expensive prized posessions is I dislike taking them in the bush and getting them all scratched up - that's why I sold my Sako.
Never owned a Berretta or a Corvette, so if you don't know what you are supposed to be missing it just doesn't matter.:wave:

X2 - Love my little 20ga Brazilian made Boito. Never give a crap if it gets scratched, dropped or anything. My dog ripped the stock up, accidentally with her claws as she ran after a grouse, when it was on the ground for 2 seconds but it has a nice scar to prove it has been out and about.

I hate taking my Tikka out, it is so nice and pretty....maybe that is why I haven't shot anything with it yet:ashamed:

TheClash 08-12-2009 11:20 PM

i do plan, one day, to have a more expensive OU and a nice rifle as well..but to me those scratches, dents, dings and such are not blemishes but stories and experiences....

bobinthesky 08-14-2009 08:12 AM

Any of the Yildiz guns I've looked at have had horrible triggers. I had an Elegant A1 and the triggers broke at 12 lbs new out of the box! They are fixable however, no thanks to the distributer though at least in my case.
They are nice guns but not high round count guns. I know of an o/u that had 4000 rounds through it and it was showing noticable wear. For that kind of shooting you have to spend more money. Any new Beretta o/u I've had is just wearing in nicely at 3 to 4000 rounds.

TheClash 08-14-2009 12:27 PM

my trigger isn't too bad, but it certainly is not the best...but then again i don't shoot enough to really notice. i have had my OU for a little over a year now and have put maybe 500 shells through it...my brother had it before me and most likely put 2000 shells through it...i am not seeing any wear yet...will have to see what happens in the future.

ACKLEY ABE 08-14-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 367213)

:lol::lol: .......I like the way you think. Sometimes I do carry my Beretta Silver Pigeon in my 71 big block 'vette.

I think over an extended period of time the higher dollar guns would hold up better. I'm talking thousands of rds. I've put over 18,000 rds through my Silver Pigeon in less than two years and its still tight and I expect it to last for many more tens of thousands of rds. Thats a life-time or two for most field guns.

bobinthesky 08-15-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheClash (Post 368739)
my trigger isn't too bad, but it certainly is not the best...but then again i don't shoot enough to really notice. i have had my OU for a little over a year now and have put maybe 500 shells through it...my brother had it before me and most likely put 2000 shells through it...i am not seeing any wear yet...will have to see what happens in the future.

I was acustomed to the 4.5 lb triggers on my Beretta's when I got the Yildiz and when I took it to the trap range, I found that I couldn't even pull the trigger without thinking about it and pulling especially hard to overcome the heavy pull. Such is muscle memory. Even after I fixed the pull weight, they still had a lot of creep, but at least it was shootable after that.

TheClash 08-15-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobinthesky (Post 369681)
I was acustomed to the 4.5 lb triggers on my Beretta's when I got the Yildiz and when I took it to the trap range, I found that I couldn't even pull the trigger without thinking about it and pulling especially hard to overcome the heavy pull. Such is muscle memory. Even after I fixed the pull weight, they still had a lot of creep, but at least it was shootable after that.

i can see how that would take some time to get used to....i am hoping tha as i am moving the other direction i won't run into those problems haha

bearb8er 08-18-2009 11:35 PM

Not looking for an heirloom type of gun. I just remember shooting a o/u shottie years ago and it fit me so nice. It hit what I was pointing it at and "felt" good. I'm thinking the 3rd shot with a pump and steel shot is pretty much a throw away any way so only having 2 shots isn't a handicap. So ya I'm thinkin it could well be "my" utilitarian shotgun.

Played with a Stoeger Condor on the weekend and it felt pretty good.

openfire 02-09-2015 02:14 PM

Are there are more recent reviews on this gun?

densa44 02-09-2015 03:49 PM

I have 2 yildiz

My 20 ga. is my go to gun when upland hunting alone. I have .410 single shot that I carry when I have a friend. They are both great.

silver 02-09-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by openfire (Post 2729558)
Are there are more recent reviews on this gun?

Yes there are, I bought a 12 guage o/u, happy as a clam with it. A friend had one, I shouldered it and it fit. I was at Prophet River, had my choice of five, picked the best wood. It is a light gun, chambered for the three inch mag, recoil isn't bad, because I think it fits well.

Here is the real testimonial, if mine was lost or stolen, I would buy another without even thinking about it.

curtz 02-09-2015 08:36 PM

My wife shoots a Silver Reserve 20ga, its been a great gun for her. I have a CZ Redhead and I love it.

jungleboy 02-09-2015 09:05 PM

Have a look at the Stevens 555 ou they are such a nice light gun .I haven't got one but I handled one at Cabelas and was impressed .