Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   In Response to Plant Based Meat (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365597)

IronNoggin 06-22-2019 05:27 PM

In Response to Plant Based Meat

I miss the days when food could be food, plants could be plants, meat could be meat, and people could be honest.

https://www.lonesomelands.com/new-bl...t-based-carrot

pikergolf 06-22-2019 05:39 PM

Slow day on the island?

260 Rem 06-22-2019 05:42 PM

Don’t think that meat carrot will catch on. On the other hand, it looks like the veggie burgers imitating beef could fill a niche?
Went shopping for a “beyond meat” burger at Sobeys but passed when I saw the price was the same as real burgers. I do plan on trying one someday.

huntinstuff 06-22-2019 06:47 PM

I like 99% of veggie burgers/soy burgers

But, call it that. A veggie burger.

Meatless ? Why bother even saying that?

fordtruckin 06-22-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 3992263)
I like 99% of veggie burgers/soy burgers

But, call it that. A veggie burger.

Meatless ? Why bother even saying that?

Agreed! Generally I prefer a veggie burger to a meat one, BUT I draw the line at steak and chicken breast!! Those can not be beat!!!

stubblejumper01 06-22-2019 07:28 PM

Cattle eat grass hay and grain. Doesn't that make beef plant based meat anyway?

chedder 06-22-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 3992243)
Don’t think that meat carrot will catch on. On the other hand, it looks like the veggie burgers imitating beef could fill a niche?
Went shopping for a “beyond meat” burger at Sobeys but passed when I saw the price was the same as real burgers. I do plan on trying one someday.

Price and the fact that they are no better for you nutritionally. You could even argue they are worse with the horrendous sodium level in them. They have just about as much saturated fat also.

Mr Flyguy 06-22-2019 07:48 PM

Anyone who calls plant based burgers "meat" should have their stamen chopped off. :snapoutofit:

urban rednek 06-22-2019 07:50 PM

Marketing to their audience

1 Attachment(s)
Vegans should consider the big picture.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

calgarychef 06-22-2019 08:35 PM

Imagine how much proscessed crap is in a beyond meat burger?

Moo Snukkle 06-22-2019 10:19 PM

My pet peeve is that they colour it as a meat burger. Why dont they make it purple? Imagine how colourful that burger would be. Cattle farmers dropped the ball here. Should not be the colour of beef. If it is , half the profit should go back to cattle farmers. Any mention of meat in the title ( beyond meat, meatless etc) , half the profits to cattle farmers. Not trying to start a war here, just my opinion. I am not a farmer either.

Bigwoodsman 06-22-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 3992327)
Imagine how much proscessed crap is in a beyond meat burger?

Agreed. I havent tried one yet and likely never will. Like mentioned earlier call it a veggie burger. Calling it beyond meat, like WTF is that?

To me using the word beyond means anything but meat. Lips eyeballs azzholes,sawdust.....it makes me gag just thinking about it.

BW

ReconWilly 06-23-2019 06:34 AM

I'd rather eat ants, grasshoppers,cockroaches and worms.

Plants are for salad.

I love salad.

lmtada 06-23-2019 08:03 AM

My 17 year old niece, whom is vegetarian. Now gets uncle to BBQ one of these veggie burgers. Tasted it. Its ok, not for me. Now Eats with her father, and uncle On the deck. Pretty soon she will be drinking Ice Cold Beer. There is Market for these products, and business have there target 🎯.

Lornce 06-23-2019 08:53 AM

Plants are what food eats.:)

Grizzly Adams 06-23-2019 09:02 AM

Heck , we have fake genders, fake mothers, why not fake meat ? :lol:

Grizz

walking buffalo 06-23-2019 09:23 AM

Reminds me of people that call killing animals in fenced enclosures,
"hunting"....

jrowan 06-23-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman (Post 3992369)
Agreed. I havent tried one yet and likely never will. Like mentioned earlier call it a veggie burger. Calling it beyond meat, like WTF is that?

To me using the word beyond means anything but meat. Lips eyeballs azzholes,sawdust.....it makes me gag just thinking about it.

BW

Marketing basically, you might not be interested in it and yet the brand was the first that came up in conversation when veggie/plant based burgers came up.

TrollGRG 06-23-2019 10:35 AM

I think we've gone too far. Even our food doesn't know what it wants to identify with.

Dean2 06-23-2019 10:47 AM

We are NOT the target audience. Is this all marketing driven sure, so is the occupation of a German coal mine yesterday to protest use of all fossil fuels. Matters not, those with the ability to market their products and agendas will be the ones that get their way.

All in however, there is a huge demand for these types of products. We can Poo Poo it all we like but I suggest you buy shares in the companies that make and those that sell this stuff. They will make a ton of money over the next couple of decades, even if not a single AO member switches.

calgarychef 06-23-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3992500)
We are NOT the target audience. Is this all marketing driven sure, so is the occupation of a German coal mine yesterday to protest use of all fossil fuels. Matters not, those with the ability to market their products and agendas will be the ones that get their way.

All in however, there is a huge demand for these types of products. We can Poo Poo it all we like but I suggest you buy shares in the companies that make and those that sell this stuff. They will make a ton of money over the next couple of decades, even if not a single AO member switches.

Totally agree. Im just dismayed as a chef that people so willingly eat this stuff, totally unknowing whats in it, where its sourced or how its manufactured.
The weak are easily led.

Dean2 06-23-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 3992501)
Totally agree. Im just dismayed as a chef that people so willingly eat this stuff, totally unknowing whats in it, where its sourced or how its manufactured.
The weak are easily led.

Sheepole - covers about 90% of the population. Same idiots that believed margarine was better for you than butter, everyone needs to spend $100 grand on a wedding and Y2K the world was going to end.

Blaster 06-23-2019 11:04 AM

All I see now is the Beyond Meat trademark. It's at A and W and now I see it at Timmies.

The Cook 06-23-2019 11:13 AM

I'm scared to get one by mistake. With all that soy content, it might stunt my facial hair and make me change seats in the choir.

CaberTosser 06-23-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cook (Post 3992511)
I'm scared to get one by mistake. With all that soy content, it might stunt my facial hair and make me change seats in the choir.

Nothing like witnessing a whole lot more cases of gynecomastia to help curb ones appetite....

The Cook 06-23-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3992513)
Nothing like witnessing a whole lot more cases of gynecomastia to help curb ones appetite....

That's a big word, I had to look it up. Never too old to learn.

urban rednek 06-23-2019 12:10 PM

Coming soon to a store nearby

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3992513)

Who am I trying to kid? These are likely on store shelves already.

TargetRick 06-23-2019 07:58 PM

actually quite tasty

Definitions aside, the non-meat burger at A&W is actually quite tasty. This from a meat-loving person (me).

Also only partly relevant, sort of toward the purple meat comment: heard a comedian say that everyone worries about red meat, when it's actually the blue-green meat meat you need to worry about!

whiteout 06-23-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cook (Post 3992511)

Yeah, that 0% soy content is pretty scary.

does it ALL outdoors 06-23-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3992506)
Sheepole - covers about 90% of the population.

Boom, there you have it.

A buddies girlfriend got one of those a few weeks ago, I asked her if she was a Vegitarian. She says nope, she eats that because it's better for you. I asked who told her that? She said A&W did, I asked her to point out where it said that. After studying the store poster for a few minutes she said it's not on there but she heard it from somewhere :angry3:

FWIW she is a Facebook junkie so..... Explains a lot.

Like a previous poster mentioned, has anyone seen the ingredients? They sure arnt in a hurry to display those. When The Dirty Dub was promoting the Beyond Meat I saw a calorie comparison to a Big Mac, the Beyond Meat was only 30 less calories dispite being a whole lot less food, how good for you is it REALLY??

Just call it for what it is, a Veggie burger. :sign0176: