Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I need a new Cleaning Rod (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=366213)

Scott N 07-05-2019 09:24 AM

I need a new Cleaning Rod

I need to replace a cleaning rod that I have, who makes the better one piece rifle cleaning rod these days, Tipton or Dewey? Or is there something else I should be looking at as well?

Thanks!

elkhunter11 07-05-2019 09:55 AM

I have Dewey , Tipton, and Pro Shot, all are excellent.

Nyksta 07-05-2019 10:03 AM

Otis cleaning cable

6.5 shooter 07-05-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3997427)

totally agree.

Dean2 07-05-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3997427)

x3, just stay away from any of the Carbon versions. They are dangerous if they let go, lots of people have been badly hurt by them.

Scott N 07-05-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3997441)
x3, just stay away from any of the Carbon versions. They are dangerous if they let go, lots of people have been badly hurt by them.

Interesting, good to know!

marky_mark 07-05-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3997441)

How hard are you pushing?

WhiteTailAB 07-05-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3997431)
Otis cleaning cable

Cables will never clean as well as a rod.

Pathfinder76 07-05-2019 12:29 PM

First choice Dewey, second choice Dewey.

TangoKilo 07-05-2019 12:33 PM

I’ve got a couple Dewey’s that are 20 years old and still going strong!!

Dean2 07-05-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 3997462)
How hard are you pushing?

Issue isn't so much how hard you push as it is that any small, even invisible crack in the Carbon will cause it to let go and when it does it just splinters. Came real close to puncturing my wrist with a 28 caliber carbon rod that let go just above the handle. Checked the site of the makers of that Carbon rod and there are a ton of other complaints from users about the same thing except many weren't as lucky as I was. Something I didn't know till just recently is that Tipton now ONLY makes carbon rods so they are off my list permanently. There are a bunch of complaints about their carbon rods breaking and causing injuries now too. Even if you are pushing too hard on a 17 or 22 cal rod, at least with a stainless rod they just bend, never break and Dewey are spring steel so even if you flex one it goes right back to its straight form when done.

marky_mark 07-05-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3997505)
Issue isn't so much how hard you push as it is that any small, even invisible crack in the Carbon will cause it to let go and when it does it just splinters. Came real close to puncturing my wrist with a 28 caliber carbon rod that let go just above the handle. Checked the site of the makers of that Carbon rod and there are a ton of other complaints from users about the same thing except many weren't as lucky as I was. Something I didn't know till just recently is that Tipton now ONLY makes carbon rods so they are off my list permanently. There are a bunch of complaints about their carbon rods breaking and causing injuries now too. Even if you are pushing too hard on a 17 or 22 cal rod, at least with a stainless rod they just bend, never break and Dewey are spring steel so even if you flex one it goes right back to its straight form when done.

You’d think you would be able to flex it like an arrow and see if there’s any issues with it

Dean2 07-05-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 3997530)
You’d think you would be able to flex it like an arrow and see if there’s any issues with it

You probably could but it never occurred to me to do that. Not sure mine would have flexed much that close to the handle though. All in, I will just stick to something that won't ever shatter and grenade out like mine did. Once almost impaled, twice shy (Actually big time chicken now :))

marky_mark 07-05-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3997532)
You probably could but it never occurred to me to do that. Not sure mine would have flexed much that close to the handle though. All in, I will just stick to something that won't ever shatter and grenade out like mine did. Once almost impaled, twice shy (Actually big time chicken now :))

I could see there being some flex if your not careful and your not pushing it in straight. I haven’t had an issue with either of mine

BigJon 07-05-2019 06:01 PM

I’ve Dewey and Tipton. The Dewey’s are more robust and seem better quality all around.

catnthehat 07-05-2019 06:23 PM

I Grew up with one piece Parker Hale rods and still use them but also have some Deweys
I really like the number of accessories and adapters available forb them as well as the steel they are built with .
Cat

270person 07-05-2019 06:41 PM

Dewey for the universality and strength. I won't buy another Tipton.

halsey 07-05-2019 08:05 PM

4 Dewey and 1 Parker Hale

A couple are at least 25 years old..

Nyksta 07-05-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB (Post 3997473)
Cables will never clean as well as a rod.

Cables do the job well enough. Their ultra convenience is worth it to some people.

DLab 07-06-2019 08:01 AM

I have Dewey rods and Bore guides.

WhiteTailAB 07-06-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3997625)
Cables do the job well enough. Their ultra convenience is worth it to some people.

In the field, sure. At home just use a damn rod and clean it better than "well enough".

Nyksta 07-06-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB (Post 3997759)
In the field, sure. At home just use a damn rod and clean it better than "well enough".

Well enough, as in the job is done to the quality needed for the job. I love the fact that i can clean any type of action just as quick as single loading a cartridge. Open the action, stick the cable lead down the chamber, pull it through. Ballistol patch, dry patch, repeat until fouling is gone. Sounds about the same as a rod. The patch is doing the job. If youre the type that needs to jackhammer your barrel with a in out in out scrubbing motion, then stick with the rod. I remove fouling, apply a protective layer of oil, and put it away. Job done.

People can do any type they want, if you love the rod, thats great. I love otis cables and share the info for anyone interested.

West O'5 07-07-2019 07:54 AM

Been using a Gunslick rod for 4-5 years now,pretty pleased with it.Coated stainless steel I believe (?),nice comfortable size swivel handle,came with brass bore guide.....think I paid around $50 @Wholesale before they closed down?

Pathfinder76 07-07-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3997779)
Well enough, as in the job is done to the quality needed for the job. I love the fact that i can clean any type of action just as quick as single loading a cartridge. Open the action, stick the cable lead down the chamber, pull it through. Ballistol patch, dry patch, repeat until fouling is gone. Sounds about the same as a rod. The patch is doing the job. If youre the type that needs to jackhammer your barrel with a in out in out scrubbing motion, then stick with the rod. I remove fouling, apply a protective layer of oil, and put it away. Job done.

People can do any type they want, if you love the rod, thats great. I love otis cables and share the info for anyone interested.

Your cable is running along the throat and crown of your rifle and everywhere in between. It is not the equivalent of a good one piece rod and guide and no amount of wishing will make it so. Yes you can do whatever you wish, but let’s not say that all options are equal.

Nyksta 07-07-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3998109)
Your cable is running along the throat and crown of your rifle and everywhere in between. It is not the equivalent of a good one piece rod and guide and no amount of wishing will make it so. Yes you can do whatever you wish, but let’s not say that all options are equal.

Cool

Pathfinder76 07-07-2019 08:07 AM

No, you don’t.

Nice edit Nyksta.

Nyksta 07-07-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 3998112)
No, you don’t.

Nice edit Nyksta.

I removed the part where i told you that you have no idea what i do or dont do, and you have no way of being able to comment on the things I do because you have never met me, and then i deleted it because there is no point in trying discuss anything with you.

Pathfinder76 07-07-2019 08:15 AM

I read what you wrote. Nice try.

Nyksta 07-07-2019 08:45 AM

I appreciate your knowledge chuck

AI 6.5 07-07-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3997625)

However the op was inquiring about one piece rods so cables are irrelevant to this thread.