Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bear hide donations (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=397854)

jnleblanc 04-11-2021 12:35 AM

Bear hide donations

Planing to go bear hunting but already have a hide tanned and don’t feel like adding more as I just want the meat. Is there any way around the hide laws like donating them? I’m up in the grande prairie area.

Thanks every one.

Flyingfisher 04-11-2021 07:24 AM

The regulations say that you can't waste the hide. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to donate it. Consult with fish and wildlife, as they are the ones who'd be dragging you through courts if they could lay any charges.

303 Epps 04-11-2021 07:37 AM

You can also donate it to the tannery, or some taxidermists may also take it to have one 'in the bank' for an insurance claim.

Bushmaster 04-11-2021 07:51 AM

Back in the day when I was a bear hunter, I gave several hides to non-hunting friends that wanted a rug.

Smoky buck 04-11-2021 08:00 AM

Wish Alberta had it as a choice of meat or hide because my wife won’t even buy a bear tag since we moved because of the hassle of the hide. When we lived in BC she would take a mid size to large bear for meat each year well I was being picky

Myself I will still bear hunt but I will be pickier than normal because I really don’t need a pile of hides

Dean2 04-11-2021 08:29 AM

For meat hunters, the hide issue comes up fairly regularly for bears shot on crown land with a bear tag. There has usually never been a problem giving away bear hides, many were actually sold for a few bucks. Between the tanneries, taxidermists and interested individuals it never used to be an issue but I haven't tried to get rid of one in a couple of years. I would suggest you make a couple of phone calls, I think you will find a receptive place fairly easily. Western Tannery in Calgary used to actually buy bear hides for tanning and resale as did Halfords in Edmonton.

Battle Rat 04-11-2021 08:35 AM

I've sold some to taxidermist.
They always need a few for patch material for rubbed ones.

thumper 04-11-2021 08:48 AM

Our nearby First Nations reserve is happy to receive raw deer, elk & moose hides for their cultural programs with youth. They'd probably put a bear hide to good use as well. You can try just calling the band office for help, but it's generally more effective if you know a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy - sort of contact.

Smoky buck 04-11-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 4359597)
Our nearby First Nations reserve is happy to receive raw deer, elk & moose hides for their cultural programs with youth. They'd probably put a bear hide to good use as well. You can try just calling the band office for help, but it's generally more effective if you know a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy - sort of contact.

Never thought of that option

Dariouskater 04-22-2021 10:33 AM

If you're in the Calgary area I know a large number of people who want bear hides lol.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

reddeerhunter 04-22-2021 07:28 PM

Status treaty hunters

Can a status hunter get rid of the fur as he must keep the meat?

Red Bullets 04-22-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 4359597)

Which First Nation close by? The Stoney Nakota First Nation maybe? And should I mention Thumper sent me?