Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wmu 355 road access (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=367102)

jnleblanc 07-26-2019 12:43 AM

Wmu 355 road access

Hello all just moved to Alberta from B.C. and this is my first season here. I got a cow moose draw for 355 any suggestions on points of entry or spots to start ?

Thanks!

trophybook 07-26-2019 06:27 AM

Hit the high grade road head south for 22 km turn west on to the lease road and your there.

Big Grey Wolf 07-26-2019 08:30 AM

moose

When I hunt a new WMU for moose need to scout the country for "Moose Bush"
Moose bush is usually old growth spruce and poplar(trembling aspen) ridges with lots of willow browse or cut block with new growth. Lastly lots of beaver dams in area also usually good moose pasture. Hope that helps. PS then hope wolves or bears have not been eating them.

st99 07-26-2019 10:10 AM

355 is a "caribou zone", no offense, but any hunter who care for wildlife and biodiversity will not carry on with the evil plan of the bios. This once upon a time great zone is becoming a wasteland, from the high number of cow tags to the poisoning in winter, critters of all sizes, from marten to moose, are being wiped out. It's very sad and disheartening to see that some "hunters" are happy to take part in this massacre.

Torkdiesel 07-26-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st99 (Post 4006274)
355 is a "caribou zone", no offense, but any hunter who care for wildlife and biodiversity will not carry on with the evil plan of the bios. This once upon a time great zone is becoming a wasteland, from the high number of cow tags to the poisoning in winter, critters of all sizes, from marten to moose, are being wiped out. It's very sad and disheartening to see that some "hunters" are happy to take part in this massacre.

It is a shame what that area has turned into ! It used to be amazing country for big moose.

10 years ago I could have shot 5-10 moose a day off the road in 355, now you’re lucky to see one.

To the OP there’s a ton of roads there. Stay off the restricted access roads with the red gates and white signs. Don’t be the douche bag that ignores them then says you missed it when caught. They’re big red gates, several of them in that WMU.

Burn enough gas and you’ll find a cow. It’s a good thing you got it this year, in a few more years there won’t be any moose left in the zone at all

R3illy 07-26-2019 01:25 PM

you can pull a moose tag in that zone in your first year hunting in Alberta?

last minute 07-26-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3illy (Post 4006352)
you can pull a moose tag in that zone in your first year hunting in Alberta?

I am guessing anything is possible :)

-JR- 07-27-2019 08:50 AM

wow interesting zone 355 to pick . not a very big zone and far from Edmonton. You must live near that zone. If I would be you, get your self an ATV and go there all summer and scout it out . look for small lakes on a top o map and look for moose tracks. First think I do in a new area is look for a dry camping spot . And not just one . Because the time you get there, some one will be in it opening day .
Plan more than one hunt as the cows do not show them selfs until oct 12 in that area .
I had a service call there to a drilling rig years ago ,what i do remember is that area was logged out ,so by now there should be some good over growth. Seen two nice bulls coming down nose mountain. I am sure they have been shot by now ,that was a far ways in . I would stay as close as i could to hyw 40 and move deeper in un till i find tracks. Moose will stay in a 5 mile sq area all there lives .....good luck

Big Grey Wolf 07-27-2019 09:43 AM

moose

Few years back elk hunting Brian Bildsons old Kakwa trapline in 355 lots of moose. Believe Tork still owns line now. If Tork said limited moose now then going to be tough to find even a dry cow. Pile of grizz in that country as well obviously eating lots of calves.

jnleblanc 08-08-2019 09:59 PM

Scouted the area last week saw 4 cows wondering around the north end of the wmu thanks for the input. Saw a couple bears wondering as well seems to be a lot in that area.

Big Grey Wolf 08-09-2019 08:36 AM

Wmu 355

Few years back, hunting with my young son, had one of most animal seen in 3 days in WMU 355. our total was 40+ animals including moose, elk, deer and bears. Now a totally different story, but if you hunt hard should be able to scare up a moose the grizzly bears have not eaten.