Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who has been on a Dagasten Tur hunt? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=376564)

marky_mark 02-10-2020 07:38 AM

Who has been on a Dagasten Tur hunt?

Looking for info from anyone thats has gone

SouthWestRanger 02-10-2020 08:10 AM

Haven’t been personally but two good friends have and I could pass any questions you have along, both have only positive things to say about them and count the hunts as some of their favourite international hunts.

marky_mark 02-10-2020 09:27 PM

Im just wondering what I should remember to do that is out of the norm
And what I should avoid

I hear they live in the craziest steepest terrain imaginable

CranePete 02-10-2020 10:02 PM

I’d send a note to Omer at Precision Optics. Believe he hunts those out of the way places.

marky_mark 02-10-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CranePete (Post 4109109)
I’d send a note to Omer at Precision Optics. Believe he hunts those out of the way places.

Hes been for ibex and marco polo I know that for sure
I already have the pics lol
He got a really really big ibex
Great guy!
Thanks ill see if hes gone for a tur also

KevGuy 02-10-2020 10:31 PM

Growing up in Newfoundland we used to shoot turs during seal season.

MooseRiverTrapper 02-11-2020 07:10 AM

I have. Those caucus mountains are as rugged as it gets.

marky_mark 02-11-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper (Post 4109214)
I have. Those caucus mountains are as rugged as it gets.

When is the best time to go?
Should I combo this hunt with anything? Spend the time get them all?

Hoppy 02-11-2020 09:04 AM

Mark,

I did my Dagestan Tur hunt in June and the capes are terrible, i know if i went again i would definitely go later in the year. Not sure on the risk with this as far as snow and weather but depending what you want for a cape would help make that decision. I know an outfitter that did the 2 russian Tur last November and got great animals and had really good weather. Don't know if that is the norm or not but that is when i plan to go to Russia to get my other 2 Tur.

Cheers,

Brian

bighornram 02-11-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevGuy (Post 4109130)
Growing up in Newfoundland we used to shoot turs during seal season.

lol, i shot lots of them as well. most guys on here not gonna get what you meant.

KGB 02-11-2020 11:01 AM

I have been to Dagestan and the area but long long time ago, during the times of USSR. Even back then it was a bit of a Wild West Country. Locals could be super friendly but could be totally opposite. This is a predominately Muslim region with a high percentage of radical Islamization...The current political situation in this region isn’t very safe I would say...
Please double check every single detail of your future journey and the outfit you are planning on using. Make sure your relatives here have a “ransom insurance”.

1899b 02-11-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighornram (Post 4109332)
lol, i shot lots of them as well. most guys on here not gonna get what you meant.

Me lover is from Goose Bay So I knows what you by’s be taking about :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

marky_mark 02-11-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 4109281)
Mark,

I did my Dagestan Tur hunt in June and the capes are terrible, i know if i went again i would definitely go later in the year. Not sure on the risk with this as far as snow and weather but depending what you want for a cape would help make that decision. I know an outfitter that did the 2 russian Tur last November and got great animals and had really good weather. Don't know if that is the norm or not but that is when i plan to go to Russia to get my other 2 Tur.

Cheers,

Brian

Good to know! I have the option to go as late as nov 15. Might be worth it to go then.

ww2269 02-22-2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4109537)
Good to know! I have the option to go as late as nov 15. Might be worth it to go then.

Mark,
My hunt in 2018 was just awesome. early august if i recall and it was hotter than i expected. It was steep country and i would expect to m
be in the best shape for it. animals are plenty but honestly you want to make your climbs count if you know what i mean. In all irsa great value mountain hunt. I would do it again.

marky_mark 02-22-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ww2269 (Post 4115168)
Mark,
My hunt in 2018 was just awesome. early august if i recall and it was hotter than i expected. It was steep country and i would expect to m
be in the best shape for it. animals are plenty but honestly you want to make your climbs count if you know what i mean. In all irsa great value mountain hunt. I would do it again.

You’ve got a Tur too?
Are You going to the wsf event on the 7th?
I need to pic your brain.... first couple rounds of beers are on me 👍

marky_mark 03-01-2020 11:28 AM

Looks like we are meeting in Moscow oct 12th

What caliber have guys that have gone used?
I’m thinking my 6.5x284 with the 156gr bergers

MooseRiverTrapper 03-05-2020 04:11 PM

October will be nice. Cool to climb but hopefully no snow that makes it slippery. These climbs are gruelling. You will hope you get one the first day so you don’t have to go back up there kind of climbs. Guides will carry you rifle and gear. They will give you a stout wood walking stick that will help, everywhere you go is straight up or a 45 degree side hill. Bring supplies to medicate your feet if needed, thankfully my feet were hard from previous hunts.

Be prepared for longer shooting. It’s wide open 4-600 yard shooting will be normal. Depending on your guide, look over the rams yourself because the first band you see the guide will be saying “shoot, shoot, shoot” my guides weren’t hunters and didn’t know how to play the wind. You may need to take charge at some point during the stalk. The guides are the toughest guys I’ve ever met, local goat herders.

While up there hunting your above the clouds. The air is thin and it is noticeable on the lungs. The tur have an amazing coarse wooly cape which should be in nice shape in October. Once your there the option to shoot a second one seems cheap have to see what mood the outfitter is in. Everything there seems to work on bribes.

Get your stamina up for climbs and pounding vodka.