Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Finally gettin' on the ice!!! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=74105)

Paul C 11-18-2010 09:54 AM

Sundancefisher,
What are your thoughts on global dimming ?

Hunter Trav 11-18-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pophouseman (Post 738469)
seriously guys...wait until its safe

I'll give it till sunday, then I'm getting out again. Will definately be safe where I'm going...

FishBrain 11-18-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter Trav (Post 738589)
I'll give it till sunday, then I'm getting out again. Will definately be safe where I'm going...

If I dont head south for Elk, I may join you!!

jacenbeers 11-18-2010 03:50 PM

I really wanna bust out my new auger this weekend. I hope somewhere near Calgary has good ice.

WayneChristie 11-18-2010 05:59 PM

Has anyone checked out Enchant this week? I will be there Saturday if I dont have to work, and Sunday if I do. Lots of wind and lots of snow down this way, had chest high drifts at work between buildings, I hope its blowing right off the ponds.

mooseknuckle 11-18-2010 06:05 PM

Well can't help it I'm going goat least check a certain trout pond in the Edmonton area tomorrow. May be a waste of gas but I have to see for myself the itch is just too much! I must fish!! Argh!

mooseknuckle 11-18-2010 06:08 PM

Oh yeah and that makes 1,002 posts. Christ I feel like I'm at an AA meeting!

slingshotz 11-18-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacenbeers (Post 738792)
I really wanna bust out my new auger this weekend. I hope somewhere near Calgary has good ice.

I'd bet most of the lakes have pretty thin ice due to the snow so it won't be a great test yet for augers. I'm planning on either testing out the shoreline along Mac or checking out how the ice is at the little lakes/ponds west of here.

jacenbeers 11-19-2010 09:37 AM

I think I am going to head to Mac as well. I will bring my auger in case the ice is thick enough to warrant it. It would be fun to catch some burbs or whities through the ice.

Sundancefisher 11-19-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 738522)
As of today...Glemore reservoir is starting to get ice around the edges. Lake Sundance in Calgary is still open with waves lapping the shore. Hopefully the snow stops before it freezes so the ice is good for skating. Also less snow on the ice means the ice gets thicker...faster.

Lake Sundance in Calgary completely froze over last night...

Next stop the movies... Top 10 pre perch fishing horror movies to watch...

"Freedy Kruger meets the Perch"
"Nightmare on Perch Street"
"Jason XX - Co Ed Perch Party"
Bruce Willis in "I see Dead Perch"
Braum Stokers "Count Perchula"
"Perchergeist"
"The Perchorcist"
"Blair Perch Project"
"Texas Perchfishing Massacre"
"Perchoween"

:sHa_shakeshout:

Braun 11-19-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 739446)
Lake Sundance in Calgary completely froze over last night...

Next stop the movies... Top 10 pre perch fishing horror movies to watch...

"Freedy Kruger meets the Perch"
"Nightmare on Perch Street"
"Jason XX - Co Ed Perch Party"
Bruce Willis in "I see Dead Perch"
Braum Stokers "Count Perchula"
"Perchergeist"
"The Perchorcist"
"Blair Perch Project"
"Texas Perchfishing Massacre"
"Perchoween"

:sHa_shakeshout:

sundance...... wow........

lol. although it is good to hear that its froze over. keep us updated on the thickness

slingshotz 11-19-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacenbeers (Post 739443)
I think I am going to head to Mac as well. I will bring my auger in case the ice is thick enough to warrant it. It would be fun to catch some burbs or whities through the ice.

I'm going to be targeting whites close to shore. I missed out last year by going out too late so I want to try now even if it might be a bit early. Looks like either day will be cold but thinking maybe Saturday as there's less chance of snow. Which day are you planning on?

If it looks like it might be a blizzard I might head to a trout pond a little closer.

jacenbeers 11-19-2010 02:10 PM

I am going to head there on Sunday I think. I havent purchased appropriate clothing yet so that will be my plan for tomorrow.

Sundancefisher 11-19-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braun (Post 739512)
sundance...... wow........
lol. although it is good to hear that its froze over. keep us updated on the thickness

You betcha. I am itching to get you all out for a mess of fine tasting perch! I am also curious to see if we had a large growth spurt this summer. I am thinking there are a large number of 8-9 inchers with a few 10 inchers mixed in...and also some 5-7 inchers....but hopefully more on the bigger side! Definitely saw more bigger ones this Summer.

Braun 11-19-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 739613)
You betcha. I am itching to get you all out for a mess of fine tasting perch! I am also curious to see if we had a large growth spurt this summer. I am thinking there are a large number of 8-9 inchers with a few 10 inchers mixed in...and also some 5-7 inchers....but hopefully more on the bigger side! Definitely saw more bigger ones this Summer.

don't forget slightly fewer numbers being caught too

AK47 11-19-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 739613)

yeah, remember we have that derby "hand vs rod" planned :fighting0074:... let us know when we can start practising:)

Sundancefisher 11-19-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braun (Post 739661)
don't forget slightly fewer numbers being caught too

catch rates will be interesting

npauls 11-19-2010 08:21 PM

I will try to make it up there a couple times this winter to slam some perch if you are having some big get togethers on sundance.

Nate

FOTW 11-19-2010 11:33 PM

For these get togethers, What is all required? Just a rod, tackle and warm clothing?

RedHeadedFisherman 11-20-2010 01:16 AM

Heys all you freezeaholices.. :)) has anyone checked out PCR yet?

uglystickman 11-20-2010 06:54 AM

Ice

The glenmore resevour is frozen over and covered in snow. Too bad we can't go pop a hole there.

Sundancefisher 11-20-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOTW (Post 740071)
For these get togethers, What is all required? Just a rod, tackle and warm clothing?

lake sundance perch fishing

http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/How...icleUpdate.pdf

Read this article...if you have any questions ask.

Best bait in order...

Perch eyeballs
mealworms
Maggots

I like a jig fly dropper combo.

Cheers

Sun

slingshotz 11-20-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacenbeers (Post 739600)
I am going to head there on Sunday I think. I havent purchased appropriate clothing yet so that will be my plan for tomorrow.

I just got back from MacGregor and I would not go out there with an auger. The ice is about 1-3" thick along the shore and both me and another guy out there went through the ice. Luckily it was only 2 feet deep but it's COLD! I was even crawling on the ice to distribute my weight.

I used a small axe to hack a few holes as far out as I could risk it and I managed a strong whitie with a few lost but I should have brought my spey rod to get out further lol. If I was standing with a 40lb auger drilling holes, I'm almost positive the ice wouldn't hold around my feet.

Bring some extra dry clothes if you do go out.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...or/Whities.jpg

WayneChristie 11-20-2010 07:52 PM

Glad you are ok Will, couple nice whites there. I hear the ice is thinner along the shore due to heating from the rock dam, but I dont know if thats the case yet, there hasnt been much melting this week. Im going to slay little perch and the odd trout tomorrow if the ice is thick enough at Enchant, Im pretty sure it will be good to go by now. I could see the sea smoke off Rolling Hills Reservoir from work yesterday so I imagine the big lakes still have some open water, they were wide open last weekend.

AK47 11-20-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slingshotz (Post 740722)
I just got back from MacGregor and I would not go out there with an auger. The ice is about 1-3" thick along the shore and both me and another guy out there went through the ice.

How much snow is on ice? Did you go more on the east or west side of the dam? Last year when we first time went there there was no way you could step on ice in the west side but east side was about 1 inch thicker for some reason and we were able to step on it.

slingshotz 11-20-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 740781)
How much snow is on ice? Did you go more on the east or west side of the dam? Last year when we first time went there there was no way you could step on ice in the west side but east side was about 1 inch thicker for some reason and we were able to step on it.

There's not that much snow on the ice as the wind was blowing. We were around the middle of the dam. The other two guys were more to the west. There was definitely thinner ice about 10 feet out, you could see it in the ice. The ice is very variable right now, some spots it was only an inch and some 3 inches.

Sundancefisher 11-22-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 740237)
lake sundance perch fishing

http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/How...icleUpdate.pdf

Read this article...if you have any questions ask.

Best bait in order...

Perch eyeballs
mealworms
Maggots

I like a jig fly dropper combo.

Cheers

Sun

Ice along shore as of yesterday was about 3-4 inches. Ice is generally thinner as you go out towards the middle. All this snow will insulate and slow freezing. We should be out by Christmas for sure even if it gets warmer.

Should be warming up by the weekend to seasonal averages. Still minus 10 at night.

baitfisher83 11-22-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 742304)
Ice along shore as of yesterday was about 3-4 inches. Ice is generally thinner as you go out towards the middle. All this snow will insulate and slow freezing. We should be out by Christmas for sure even if it gets warmer.

Should be warming up by the weekend to seasonal averages. Still minus 10 at night.

I finally have someone who will probably come out there with me, yer gonna have to let everyone know when it's perch slammin time!!lol